Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2014 9:58:11 AM EST
So I have not been sick in literally over a decade. I genuinely don't remember the last time I was truly sick. I had hernia surgery in 06, and I was on my back for a bit, but aside from that I have been a picture of health. That was all until last Thursday night. I woke up late last Thursday night feeling generally crappy. I didn't really feel sick, but I just felt a little odd. I got up Friday and went to work. I felt bad Friday, but I just figured I was tired from not sleeping well the night before. Saturday rolled around and it started to really hit me. I ran a low grade temp most of the day Saturday and it went up to 101 Saturday night. That wasn't fun, but I could handle that.

Sunday sucked!! My temp never got below 101, and it spiked to 103.7 during the night. I was miserable, but I was too stubborn to go to the doc Monday. I figured I had the flu and it would pass soon. Monday night my temp spiked to 103.7 again, and I was sweating so bad my sheets were soaked. My wife, who is a nurse, helped me get my fever down and I got some sleep. Tuesday I broke down and went to the doctor. My doctor's office is on the second story of the building his office is in, and I always just take the stairs. I am a pretty fit guy, and I climb multiple flights of stairs everyday without any issues. This one flight of stairs to the doctor's office smoked me. I was out of breath and just beat.

The doctor did some tests and I tested positive for type b flu and pneumonia. He told me I just had to ride out the flu, but he gave me an inhaler and antibiotics for the pneumonia. In the two days that have passed since going to the doc, I am much much better. I am still suffering because of the pneumonia, but the flu symptoms/fever has subsided.

I definitely learned a few things during this whole event. I have sunk quite a bit of money into my first aid supplies over the years. I have even made sure to build a NICE supply of antibiotics just in case my fish get sick. One thing I had definitely overlooked until now was preps for pneumonia or other respiratory related issues. While antibiotics will help for bacterial pneumonia, without this inhaler the doctor gave me, I would have been in much worse shape. It really sucks not to be able to catch your breath. I ordered a nebulizer machine this morning, and I am going to acquire the meds I need for it, legally of course. I would hate to be in a shtf situation of any sort and one of my family members be in some sort of respiratory distress and I have nothing to help them. Maybe I am the only one who didn't cover this possibility, but if there are others who haven't, I would definitely consider getting some preps for respiratory related issues.

I also learned how important it is to make sure the people around you are trained to take care of things when you cannot. I am one of the guys who wants to do everything myself, and take care of everyone around me. I am sure most of us are that way. Fortunately, my wife was able to step up and take care of me in this situation. If this had been a different situation, and security was a major concern as well, we would have had plenty of tools for the job, but we would have been lacking a little in the ability area. I have taught my son how to handle firearms, and some basic tactics, but it is time for me to step it up a little. I definitely see how we all need to be cross trained a little better.

Anyway, this may be insignificant or boring to you guys, but it sure was a huge learning opportunity for me.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:06:26 AM EST
Thanks for the AAR, but what about this part:

I ordered a nebulizer machine this morning, and I am going to acquire the meds I need for it, legally of course.
View Quote

It's a great suggestion. A very important one. Could you please post a link, or PM one?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:15:49 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

It's a great suggestion. A very important one. Could you please post a link, or PM one?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

I ordered a nebulizer machine this morning, and I am going to acquire the meds I need for it, legally of course.

http://www.usa.philips.com/healthcare-products/HC1099966/innospire-essence-compressor-nebulizer-system

This is the machine I ordered. I found it on ebay for I think $37 shipped. Not a bad price. I will try to get some more of the inhalers, but I want to have a nebulizer on hand also.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:20:11 AM EST
I missed the part about next year, you're getting a flu shot.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:32:10 AM EST
Originally Posted By krustyone:
View Quote

I didn't want to start to for/against flu shot debate. I will say that I have taken a flu shot every year for many years and it has always worked for me. I had not taken a shot this year yet because it was so early in the season. My doctor told me I was the first type b flu he has seen this year. I will be getting the shot in the next few weeks.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:31:19 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/2/2014 11:33:15 AM EST by lasnyder]
I crashed my Suzuki VStrom about 10 years ago, and collapsed a lung... so pneumonia shot and booster, and annual flu shots are a way of life... I like some of the stuff on

"The Patriot Nurse's" youtube channel... one of her recommendations was to store expectorant like Mucionex, and to alternate ibuprofen (Advil) and acetaminophen (Tylenol) as they are metabolized by different organs...kidneys and liver...I reserve Tylenol, as it has always knocked down a fever for me YMMV

comments from health care professionals

if you are old enough, GET A SHINGLES SHOT!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:10:05 PM EST
I have been a picture of health.
This one flight of stairs to the doctor's office smoked me.
I was out of breath and just beat.

I as well have not been really sick. Head colds/ seines infection mostly over the years.
So how old are you? 63 for me.
Have never had the flu shot / pneumonia! (Did have pneumonia when I was 10)
Thinking about the shots this years.....
Glade your OK now! Thanks for getting me thinking!!!

PITA45
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:29:25 PM EST
View Quote
Save me the typing.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:30:31 PM EST
Originally Posted By sarge38624:

I didn't want to start to for/against flu shot debate. I will say that I have taken a flu shot every year for many years and it has always worked for me. I had not taken a shot this year yet because it was so early in the season. My doctor told me I was the first type b flu he has seen this year. I will be getting the shot in the next few weeks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sarge38624:

Sucks to be the canary, doesnt it?

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:11:34 PM EST
I too had pneumonia a couple of weeks ago for the first time and it kicked my backside.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:34:43 AM EST
It will take a few weeks to get your strength and stamina back to normal. Rest when possible and eat nutritious food. It's a slow process getting back to 100 percent.
Top Top