Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2011 6:42:58 PM EDT
Anybody use these on their guns?...Opinions?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep.  Love 'em.  Mostly keep them in my range bag for field expedient cleaning, but I have been known to use them once or twice while cleaning at home.

Matter of fact, bought some more just a couple of days ago, local hardware store had them on sale.

In my opinion, they do not substitute well for the brush, but do a great job for the patch.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:48:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Great to clean out guns at the range or in camp.  Doesn't replace traditional cleaning IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:49:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I've used them quite a bit and like them. Easy to use in pistols, rifles and shot guns.

If you have a pistol and rifle in the same caliber buy the rifle length bore snake and use it for both firearms.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Wal Mart has a 97¢ travel container for a bar of soap that works well for storing them. (except the 12ga one) it's in the pharmacy area with all the "travel size" stuff.

they also have the .22, .30 and 12ga versions for about $13/

as mentioned above, great for quick cleaning, but doesn't replace normal cleaning.

put it in an old sock, tie a knot in the top and run it thru the laundry to clean the boresnake.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#5]
yup....got one for every cal I own....
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:00:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yep.  Love 'em.  Mostly keep them in my range bag for field expedient cleaning, but I have been known to use them once or twice while cleaning at home.

Matter of fact, bought some more just a couple of days ago, local hardware store had them on sale.

In my opinion, they do not substitute well for the brush, but do a great job for the patch.

THIS, plus, use it on my AR when in a hurry in the field or a home... does a great job with a little Nitro..

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Yepp i've used them quite a bit. Good piece of kit. As stated above, doesn't replace traditional cleaning, but is good for a quick run through.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:01:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Love em.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:03:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Great to clean out guns at the range or in camp.  Doesn't replace traditional cleaning IMHO.

I agree with this. I cleaned a couple rifles with the boresnake a while back and then cleaned them again using traditional cleaning methods. I was amazed at how much was left from the boresnake.

Now I use the boresnake at the range every now and again depending on how many rounds go through.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:36:22 PM EDT
[#10]
they are great.

usually the extent of my heavy cleaning is a little foaming bore cleaner, a patch to push the gunk out and the pass or two with the bore snake. I rarely need more work than that.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I use them to clean the oil out of the brl i leave in "stored" guns.

If it's for an AR you still need a chamber brush ......
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I love mine!!!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:16:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

this
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:37:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I also like them and have sent them to co-workers who were deployed in the sand boxes.  They were greatful to have recieved them.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Boresnakes are all I use anymore.  Bolts, carriers etc get a different treatment, but on the bore itself, I just snake 'em.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:20:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a boresnake in the buttstock of my AR.

I also have a couple in my cleaning kit... One for running through with RemOil.. Another one for running through dry.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:39:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Doesn't replace traditional cleaning IMHO.

what is this "traditional" cleaning of which you speak

i grew up shooting AKs and have carried it over into the AR world, boresnake down the tube, wet down the internals, use a rag to catch the lube that run out of the interanls and wipe down the steel parts...

the only time any of my ARs have been "properly / traditionally cleaned is when i left one of them in my buddy ArmedSuspects safe for a couple days after a rnage trip back when i was renting a room off he and his wife, he couldn't stand having my dirty guns in the house so he cleaned them all for me. that reminds me, i have a couple ARs and an OBR that i need to see if he'll let me store for a bit...

now admittidly i do not hit the round counts i used to by a long shot, nor do i shoot nearly as hard and often lately as i used to and hope to again soon(due to a lousy work schedule at present). but my filthy cruddy guns have gone bang pretty much every time i've squeezed the trigger. i've never had a misfire due simply to a dirty gun and i run mostly cheapassed wolf ammo or my CMMG .22LR conversion kit in my .223/5.56 ARs(misfires i have had have been moslty bad primers  both in wolf and the .22LR). but then again i'm running a chromed chambers made by decent to "better" manufaturers(exept the OBR which is a LW50 Stainless barrel iirc, but doesn't yet have a high round count on it anyway) and i run my guns pretty darned wet. if anyone wants to call BS on a dirty AR still being reliable just google "pat rogers filthy 14" then drop Pat an IM he's a member here, and tell him it can't be done...

K.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:45:23 AM EDT
[#18]
I sent 20 over to my cousin in Afganistan and they use them all the time. The best thing they use them for is right before they go out on patrol and most of them keep them in one on their leg pockets just in case. They put them through the worst conditions and so far they have been holding up without any issues. They have had them for about 8 months now and get used many times a day. It's really amazing...

Also if you have a bass pro shop near you sometimes they have them on sale during hunting season. I got them there for a better price than with shipping from the internets...
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:52:33 AM EDT
[#19]
I have them for BOBs but vastly prefer OTIS kits.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:17:15 AM EDT
[#20]
I just picked up 3 at Menards for $8 each -  they are clearance from the fall.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:11:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:34:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Doesn't replace traditional cleaning IMHO.

what is this "traditional" cleaning of which you speak

i grew up shooting AKs and have carried it over into the AR world, boresnake down the tube, wet down the internals, use a rag to catch the lube that run out of the interanls and wipe down the steel parts...
K.

+1
I think "traditional" cleaning almost does more harm then good.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:41:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This.  I love mine, I like them for field cleaning and home use.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:47:44 AM EDT
[#24]
One of you guys talked me into trying one a few years ago-and now I have them in 22/223, 308, 9mm, 40s&w, 45acp, and 12ga. Love the small Otis kits too.

Damn you guys! Over the years you've cost me a small fortune, and have been the source of all kinds of marital strife about the household budget. The best though is when a bulk ammo delivery comes when I'm out of town. There is nothing my wife and daughter love more than hauling in cases of Lake City or Federal 12ga.

One of these days I'm going to come home from a business trip and find all my clothes on fire in the front yard-and I'll have all of you to thank for it
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:47:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
....Doesn't replace traditional cleaning IMHO.

Which I do rarely, unless I am using corrosive ammo.  Even then, all I basically do is rinse the salts away and reapply CLP.  I like bore snakes.  Need more.  All this “traditional cleaning” is vastly overrated IMO.  More important is lubrication/protectant IMO.  I cannot remember the last time I pushed or pulled a bore brush through a barrel.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:48:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

why not?  what is traditional cleaning?  a wirey brushy thing and a textile cloth-y thing?  sounds like a boresnake to me.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:50:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yepp i've used them quite a bit. Good piece of kit. As stated above, doesn't replace traditional cleaning, but is good for a quick run through.

somebody please tell me what traditional cleaning is, if it is not brush (which a boresnake has) and cloth (boresnake has more surface area of cloth than a hundred patches)

Are you guys afraid to admit cleaning really can be this easy?    Now you may need periodic deep cleaning or lead removel or whatever, but then again, you may not.  Will it clean your bolt face? of course not. Will it get in the grooves of the star chamber?  no.  But you didn't say that, you said "traditional" cleaning whatever that is.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top