Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2011 9:50:58 AM EDT

My Wife, who is onboard with me and preps found this link / advertisement and asked me what I thought.

I now bring it to the experts.  I believe it is avaliable at B&N also.

Anybody read this one?  Have I now created a dupe on something that gets posted about every other week?

I currently have her reading Lights Out and am Picking up Patriots tonigh for my upcoming flight across the country.

Thanks Y'all

Edit:  Here is the link I forgot to post:

http://www.surviveinplace.com/5/?__utmx=-&__utmv=-&__utmz=1.1312997200.1.1.utmcsr%3DFacebook%7Cutmccn%3D%5BUSG%5D%5BFacebook%5D%5BPPC%5D%5BDave+Ramsey%5D%7Cutmcmd%3DPPC&submit.y=23&infusion_name=SIP+-+Free+Report+Opt+in&submit.x=166&infusion_type=CustomFormWeb&infusion_xid=5fb2e30b2b17a36da3d1b97b963a25db&__utmk=127853453&Contact0Email=carriefarrie%40gmail.com&__utma=1.404642668.1312997200.1312997200.1312997200.1&Contact0LeadSourceId=169&__utmc=1&__utmb=1.2.10.1312997200&contactId=63745  

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:18:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I have read it and done most of his exercises in it.  Great book for a moderately prepped person like me.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:52:11 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Picking up Patriots tonigh for my upcoming flight across the country.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:55:54 AM EDT
[#3]
SIP looks potentially interesting, but I'd want to know more about the content. It seems a bit funky on the website, broken down into a "12 week course". Doesn't even sound like a book.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:00:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:12:08 AM EDT
[#5]
From the site seems like something offered on a late night infomerical. The fact that there's an NDA on the website really makes me wonder its credibility.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:25:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bad choice?  Help me pick something else?  I usually read history books but looking for something new.
The wife is keeping the Nook so I need a paperback from B&N.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I get his daily emails, some good stuff, with a good deal of 'if you buy...'

haven't considered buying though-

tag for info
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:38:11 AM EDT
[#8]

You Get $91 in Valuable Bonuses FREE By Taking Action Today!

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bad choice?  Help me pick something else?  I usually read history books but looking for something new.

I think it may have been the juxtaposition of the book title and the phrase "flight across the country"

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

It's my canned response. Some people love the book, some people hate the book. I'm an outspoken critic of that blight upon the printed word. I personally hated it and after the first few chapters, it was one giant facepalm to me, almost like a satire of decent survival fiction. Go ahead and read it, so you can see for yourself and know what people are talking about. Just keep your expectations low. If you go in with low expectations, you may have a better chance of not hating it.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Yeah I always wonder how I am going to get back from Vancouver to the East coast should "it hit the fan"

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Yeah I always wonder how I am going to get back from Vancouver to the East coast should "it hit the fan"

Oh, Rawles will tell you, don't worry. He'll tell you via incredibly awkward, painful, embarrassing inter-character dialogue. One character asks what time it is, and the other will reply for the next 12 pages telling him how to acquire the raw materials, parts, and build a watch, except on Sunday, which is a day of rest, but finish building the watch on Monday, what the band should be made of, what position and how tight it should be.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:32:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's my canned response. Some people love the book, some people hate the book. I'm an outspoken critic of that blight upon the printed word. I personally hated it and after the first few chapters, it was one giant facepalm to me, almost like a satire of decent survival fiction. Go ahead and read it, so you can see for yourself and know what people are talking about. Just keep your expectations low. If you go in with low expectations, you may have a better chance of not hating it.

QFT. Its definatly not mainstream apocalyptic fiction. If you compare the book to guides that contain short stories thhat reiterate the authors points then you can probaly enjoy it.  For entertainment it wont hold up to something like The Stand, Dies the fire or Lucifers Hammer ect.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Patriots beats buying his newest book which is just a bunch of threads compiled from his forums.  Some of the info he gives as facts is wrong...
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:46:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Have you read Alas, Babylon yet??
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:19:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Honestly, IMO another good set of books to read that pertain to the survival mindset as well as gun rights are the "Enemies" series by Matthew Bracken.  They paint a pretty good picture of how our rights can easily be taken away and how a country and society can quickly go to crap.

http://www.enemiesforeignanddomestic.com/

I've read Patriots and kind of like the opening scenario of how the SHTF, but the rest was very unrealistic and more of a survivalist's wet dream.

If you liked Lights Out, then you might check out One Second After.  It's a similar story, but a bit darker (no pun intended).
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 2:12:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Have you read Alas, Babylon yet??

One of the more entertaining and most overlooked books of it's type.

Alas Babylon
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:02:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Honestly, IMO another good set of books to read that pertain to the survival mindset as well as gun rights are the "Enemies" series by Matthew Bracken.  They paint a pretty good picture of how our rights can easily be taken away and how a country and society can quickly go to crap.

http://www.enemiesforeignanddomestic.com/

I've read Patriots and kind of like the opening scenario of how the SHTF, but the rest was very unrealistic and more of a survivalist's wet dream.

If you liked Lights Out, then you might check out One Second After.  It's a similar story, but a bit darker (no pun intended).

I really liked the Enemies trilogy, I think it kept building up from book one and it kept getting better going through all stages of Big brother going control freak over the population as the economy collapses.
There's also a lot of tips to learn from. Lights Out is also an excellent book. Feels close to home as something that could happen to the reader.
You'll have more fun and learn more useful things from reading Enemies and Lights Out than Patriots, no doubt.

FerFAL
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:25:41 AM EDT
[#19]
NSB and I agree completely. Patriots is the worst book ever written in any language.  In my life I have read 1000's of books and this one was the only one to go into the trash can after I finished it.  I could never read more than 3-4 pages at a time without throwing it across the room and walking away. For a relatively short book it took me nearly a year to read it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:53:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Thanks Guys.

I have read The Stand, Lights Out, and One Second After.

Living in Asheville and visiting Black Mountain area often I knew all the locations the Author was talking about in One Second After.  Made it a really good read.

I will be reading Dies the Fire, Lucifers Hammer, and Alas Babylon as my next three.

Thank you again!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top