Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2009 1:09:32 PM EDT
I'm sure someone here can answer this from experience.

I bought a used Big Buddy heater today for $20. She said she used it 2 times but was not the type of heater she was looking for.

Something seems a little strange though. When I light it only the left side lights until I rotate the control valve to high. Then the second panel lights and glows the same color as the left panel.

Is this the proper function or is it broken?

If it is broken can it be fixed?

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 1:14:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Normal, mine did that since it was new.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I have both sizes as I recall they are set for hi and low with low being one side.  Be advised that there was a recall on these, I sent mine in and received a new one.  Fairly certain that if you google you';;find a manual online, also if yours ia in the recall.  They are good heaters
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 2:03:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 2:38:29 PM EDT
[#4]
it's working perfectly and thanx i will look into the recall.

there are a couple of oddities about this heater the main one being how it hooks up to the large refillable propane bottles.

1.   If using the optional big buddy brand hose with the quick disconnect you don't need the inline filter.

2.   if you buy aftermarket hoses you do need the inline filter.

3.   if your in a boat and use this heater be prepared to keep relighting it due to its anit-tipping system which shuts it off if it tipps too far.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:55:06 PM EDT
[#5]
The cheaper rubber hoses let oil get carried into the lines of the buddy heaters.

I buy the filters because I bought the cheap hoses.

I have also got my hands on a couple of the little buddy heaters that need to be cleaned out due to the oil, someone was just going to toss them so I grabbed em but have not gotten around to cleaning out the lines.

I use them during the winter in my apartment since I have no furnace or other source of heat.  It is all space heaters all the time and I use electric, propane, and kerosene for various needs.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#6]
All right, great it's not broken. Thanks for the answers and other information. I was going to ask the question at mrheater.com but I thought the answer would be quicker from here.

I am a little confused on the filters though. If I refill the 1lb tanks from a bulk tank should I have a filter in line?
Is bulk propane dirty?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:46:14 AM EDT
[#7]
If the refill setup does not have a filter I would not worry about it.

The filter I use and mentioned above is used only with the bulk tank when using the rubber hose.  The hose leaches oil into the system and the oil clogs things up.

Using the filter solves that problem.

Using the better hose solves that problem.

I don't know if I ever bought a refill setup for the little 1lb cans.  I save the empty ones but don't worry about refilling them right now since the valves can leak and what not.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:47:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the help guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top