Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 9:00:38 AM EDT
Can someone direct me to some really good heated socks? I don't know any thing about them
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:01:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:44:45 PM EDT
Originally Posted By raf:
Unless you have some physical/medical condition that requires heating your feet, I would suggest wearing high-quality sox––mebbe two pair–– and water proof/resistant boots to match the foot+sox.

No offense, but keeping your feet dry is the first thing, and insulated an close second.

You'll go broke on buying batteries for your sox, even if re-chargeables.

You gotta re-think fundamentals, guy.

This.

My feet always get cold, even in spring and early fall. I have a few hundred dollars worth of 100% wool and merino wool blended socks (no cotton!!). I usually double up on wool socks in the winter and weather 400 gram thinsulate boots outside down to single digits without issue, provided I'm moving around enough. Do yourself a favor and try good quality all wool socks first before you get the battery ones a try.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:10:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 7:14:42 PM EDT by Waldo]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:19:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GlockSlap:
Can someone direct me to some really good heated socks? I don't know any thing about them

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:27:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2012 1:29:16 AM EDT by GlockSlap]
I've tried a couple of different socks (but will look further). The boots are good, but I couldn't help but notice in two range outings in 37-41 degree days after about 6 hours of range time (fairly static) my feet started to feel cool. Not cold, but cool, like if it was much colder or if I stayed out longer, I might start feeling it. I'm going on a hunting trip in Feb, and just want to get this covered (literally) prior. I was hoping heated socks (a luxury item for the S-forum) would allow me not to worry.

Here are the boots rated to -35

http://www.rei.com/product/772901/keen-summit-county-winter-boots-mens

Does putting talcum powder, then the socks help?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:34:25 AM EDT
I've tried a couple of different socks (but will look further). The boots are good, but I couldn't help but notice in two range outings in 37-41 degree days after about 6 hours of range time (fairly static) my feet started to feel cool. Not cold, but cool, like if it was much colder or if I stayed out longer, I might start feeling it. I'm going on a hunting trip in Feb, and just want to get this covered (literally) prior. I was hoping heated socks (a luxury item for the S-forum) would allow me not to worry.

Here are the boots rated to -35

http://www.rei.com/product/772901/keen-summit-county-winter-boots-mens

Get good wool socks and at least 600g thinsulate boots.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:34:53 AM EDT

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:18:33 AM EDT
They say -35 when active
You are static so it will take a lot more

Go get a good pair of liner socks, wool socks and winter hunting boots.
Then you can stay warm in much colder temps and still be static.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:42:20 AM EDT
Originally Posted By QCMGR:

back at ya

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:17:01 PM EDT

back at ya

Sorry, I did not mean to be an ass.

A good wool sock and boot with a Gortex liner will let your feet breath and will generally keep them dry.

I would not recommend using talcum powder.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:31:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2012 2:32:11 PM EDT by jnk556]
I don't really run with anything different for cold weather as i do summer with the exception of socks. Summer gets normal cotton crews in my USMC Temperate weather boots (gore-tex uninsulated) Winter gets a pair of wool socks. Depending on how cold it is is how thick of a pair of socks I wear i have about 3 different weights of wool socks. If it gets really cold and I'm sitting around, 2 pair of socks will work, but normally aren't needed. Also, a second pair of boots helps, if possible. I have a cheap pair of gore-tex USGI combat boots (yes they'll work just fine) for backups.

DRY DRY DRY, and change your socks when you stop, or go to bed. I have Waldo to thank for that tip
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:11:35 AM EDT

back at ya

Sorry, I did not mean to be an ass.

A good wool sock and boot with a Gortex liner will let your feet breath and will generally keep them dry.

I would not recommend using talcum powder.

No problem, appreciate the clarification. I have some REI Expedition socks coming my way. I am worried about doubling socks as far as restricting circulation, but luckily I have another month to test drive various socks.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:25:40 AM EDT
A good quality hat is very important for overall warmth, even your feet. I bought a pair of electric socks once, and they made my feet sweat, which kind of negates their effectiveness.
Top Top