Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2007 1:18:20 PM EDT
Lately I've been thinking about how my collection is lacking in the shotgun area and I was thinking that a 12 Ga. Shotgun would probably be the ultimate weapon for a survival scenario.

I'd imagine its probably the most common firearm in America, and the uses are endless. A shotgun can be used to take any type of game really, providing you are close enough, can be used to take larger game as well, and with slugs can also be used for defense and whatnot.

So I know that most of you guys have go to AR's, but in a situation where you are looking at actually surviving and not being in combat, why would an AR be superior to a 12 bore?

I know that shotgun shells aren't light, and to meet the uses which I listed you would have to carry a fairly large assortment of shells, but still wouldn't the benefits outweigh the added weight? Also I am unfamiliar with shotguns but it seems to me that a pump action shotgun would be very reliable and not really require as much, if any maintenance.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:03:21 PM EDT
I don't think it's just the weight of the shells, it's also the size... a box of 15 shells is roughly the size of a 22 value pack.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:08:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2007 2:12:33 PM EDT by Paveway_]
And adding a 22 bolt for the AR turns it into a small game gatherer as well.

This is survival, how much bird sport shooting you going to do? 22 for when they are on the ground and 223 will take deer with a good shot (so would a 22 for that matter).

Shotguns have their place, but I'd say one per household is sufficient, were as I might say 1 AR per adult with a back up AR is sufficient....
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:09:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2007 2:14:52 PM EDT by fxntime]
One with a magazine that never runs out of ammo.

12 gauges would make for a decent SHTF/EOW weapon but you are greatly limited in range and accuracy. Tac reloads are far slower then a drop and slap rifle, and depending on the load, you might have to eject several to load up the proper round, [say 7.5 shot to slugs]

It would be a very good addition but it could never replace a shtf rifle.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:27:00 PM EDT
Good points. .!
I guess it just depends on your location....For me in thick brush and woods around my parts a 12 ga will have plenty of range for deer, and is much more effective than a 22 for rabbits and birds and squirrel etc etc. If I lived in an open area I would opt for the rifle as well. Also if I planned to be encountering a large number of hostiles I would want the AR.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:56:49 AM EDT
I think an AR would be best, but an AR with 22lr kit is even better

I have several shotguns, and a varity of ammo for them, and they do have their place in a SHTF plan,

But if The SHTF I'll have my AR in my hand and a runger 10/22 to turn the local population of critters into food.

Same thing can be said for an air rifle, it can be used for many things, but I don't think its the best thing for SHTF

The best thing for me is to have a varity of arms to deal with anything, and depending on where you are/will be when the SHTF you need to arm your self acording to that.

Some uber long range guns may be best for some, while a brush gun may be better for others depending on area.

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:16:30 AM EDT
a shotgun has its uses, its the only weapon for hitting game birds in flight. I have very little experience with over under combo guns, but in concept they would be the ultimate shtf weapon. coming in variety of popular calibers, as far as I know 30-30 is as big as it gets. I wish they would make one in .308/12ga to go with .308 SHTF caliber. I like the savage model 24f.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:31:22 PM EDT
.22 semi rifle
AR/AK/Fal
semi pistol
12ga shotty
.308 bolt gun

Every home needs a rounded out group like above.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:30:32 PM EDT
I don't think that there is a "best SHTF firearm". If I were going to pick one, though, I'd have to go with a modular AR. Being able to use several different military calibers just by changing a few parts would be nice.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:01:48 PM EDT
I personally love my AR, that would be my main weapon. but i can see where a shotgun would come in handy, thats why i have my M-6 Scout (22lr/ 410 shotshell) it breaks down to fit in a pack and can take small game and birds.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:19:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/3/2007 9:20:22 PM EDT by neubert500]
A Saiga 12 has all the virtues of an AK47 and is a 12 gauge shotgun to boot. This is an excellent weapon for after dark and will gather game with bird shot at closer range. It might not be for you but one is a big element of my SHTF weaponery.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 1:19:49 AM EDT
The shotgun is an outstanding weapon simply due to it's sheer versatility. I recommend it for many of the "I only want one gun" types. From birds and small game (birdshot) to deer sized game (slugs) and close range defense (buckshot) the shotgun is as close to a "do all" firearm as one can own.

That said, in a pure survival situation as you describe, I would be much more inclined to tote a rifle chambered in .22 Magnum or .22 Hornet. The sheer volume of rounds that can be carried in a "I don't know how long I'm going to be out here" scenario give those little guns the advantage. Precision shots can collect small game and lit birds with ease, and they can be effective on larger game as well - some of my relatives use the .22 Magnum exclusively for "pest extermination" of white tails on their peanut farms.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:16:41 AM EDT
I love my Remington 870. Short barrels for social occasions and longer barrels for birds. Shotguns have a role to fill in any SHTF arsenal. I like having a shotgun around for scenarios that are a lower level SHTF. A hurricane situation where you need to defend angainst looters, but not necessarily armed hordes. In such situations, law and order will be re-established fairly quickly, and you may be held legally accountable for shoottings you are involved in. You'll look much better in the eyes of Joe Average Juror using a shotgun than a tricked out AR.

But, OTOH, during an extended crisis (ala Lights Out), or a situation where you have multiple attackers (like riots), I'm grabbing my AR. When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:45:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/4/2007 5:51:03 PM EDT by SHADI]

Originally Posted By emcs31089:
Lately I've been thinking about how my collection is lacking in the shotgun area and I was thinking that a 12 Ga. Shotgun would probably be the ultimate weapon for a survival scenario.

I'd imagine its probably the most common firearm in America, and the uses are endless. A shotgun can be used to take any type of game really, providing you are close enough, can be used to take larger game as well, and with slugs can also be used for defense and whatnot.

So I know that most of you guys have go to AR's, but in a situation where you are looking at actually surviving and not being in combat, why would an AR be superior to a 12 bore?

Thoughts?

For me, I want an AR or similar. The shotgun has a definite place in my stock of weapons. I can do one thing better with my AR than my 870, and that is put well placed shots on target beyond 100 meters. Up close, the shotgun would do fine; but so would my AR.
About the only hunting my shotgun does better is birds. I can take anything that doesn't fly with my AR. Would I feel under-gunned with a shotgun....no. But, whether you are hunting or defending, it wouldn't be my first choice.
JMHO

EDIT: See the above post by SigGunner, that sounds pretty logical to me.
Top Top