Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2007 9:29:00 AM EDT
I'm looking around for some high quality bolts and heads. What are some of the better brands and styles? What's the consensus on those heads that open up on impact? They look pretty cool.

I'm pretty new to crossbows, ao any advice would be great. The crossbow is a Horton that shoots at 320 fps, and has a 175 lb. draw weight.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 10:39:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I dont shoot crossbow and dont know about there bolts but as for heads i shoot Muzzy 100 gr. w/4 blades.They are the best and will never use any other heads...EVER!!!hot
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:47:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I buy Laser II bolts from Lancaster Archery supply in Pa, takes 2 days to arrive here UPS. They'll custom make anything and carry around 5 types of bolts. I've been using NAP Shockwaves 100gr. (mechanicals)for the last few years. Also I have used Wasp and Muzzy fixed blades. Theres no magic broadhead, any quality head that is Sharp will do the job,shot placement is everything.

Some heads are easier to tune and will shoot very close to field tips. Just remember to actually test your hunting heads for point of impact. I've shot some heads that shoot a hell of alot different than field tips. Keep'em razor sharp!

With your Horton make sure you use bolts with the Moon style knocks, total bolt weight with head should be around 425gr. or heavier with your Horton. I own Excaliburs and shoot the flat knocks and around 400gr. total bolt weight.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:03:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies so far guys. PAPPYO, that was some good and specific info. This is my neighbor's crossbow, and he will be using it to hunt in Ohio. We dialed it in today and it was really accurate. The trigger was fantastic, better than anything I have on a rifle.

Good stuff, we'll keep the weight limit in mind and be sure to re-zero after adding broad heads/ mechanical heads/ high explosives.......
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:10:53 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 on making sure your  broadhead/total bolt weight is sufficient.

My dad shoots expandables out of his crossbow.  125 gr. NAP spitfires.
I shoot the 100 gr in my Matthews....one word from both deliver packages

Devastating
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:24:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Find yourself good target material and practice, practice,practice. I've had good luck (cheapest) with the heavy rag bag targets packed tight with rags. A poor backing will cost you in bolts, and there exspensive tearing flechings from over penetration.

If you set up right you should'nt have to shoot past 15 yds. You just have to do your home work, get out early in the season and check where there moving.Watch the wind and have a couple different stands depending on wind conditions for the day, where they feed, where they bed. Deer movement will change as farmers bring in crops. This is where hunting Chuck's/Groundhogs help around my area.I kill 2 birds with one stone here

I've hunted the same lease property for , I guess 7-8 years now so it helps as far as stands and such. I've grown lazy and am not much of a head hunter anymore, just a sausage hunter I do very well in my old age
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 6:09:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I own & shoot an Excalibur Exocet. Had it about 9 years and I shoot bolts with slick tricks broadheads. They fly like a field point and my setup is deadly accurate..

Danny Miller is the USA rep for Excalibur and has forgot more about xbows than most of us will ever know, lol. He doesn't stock the Excal stock 357 gr arrows, but rather the same thing except for 4" vanes vs. 5" and brass inserts vs. alum for a total weight of 431 gr. He maintains this will give you better broad head accuracy, and I've found it to be true. The FOC on his arrows is on the high end. I bought mine last year from him for $5.75 ea for these("LASER II) & Cabelas and maybe others sell the same bolt made for 10 pt, except they have bright yellow plastic nocks and cost about $1.50 more ea. Danny only does mail and phone orders at [740] 483- 2312 and is a real nice guy.

Shot my Xbow today as well as my High Country Max Force splitlimb compound.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 10:30:08 PM EDT
[#7]
yep. another thumbs up for Danny. I've bought 3 excaliburs from him over the years and still own all 3  plus scope mounts, DBar pads,strings, and 2 of his quivers. He always has time to answer questions and spent a good deal of time on the phone with me years ago with my first Excalibur 175lb. Exocet purchase.

I'd just wished I'd known about Excaliburs before I'd bought 2 other brands compound bows

If your gonna buy an Excalibur Dan's the man.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top