Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2010 11:54:22 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/25/2010 2:20:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Homemade bread is the biggie for me, but we will sprout some occasionally.  I'm not that fond of the taste of wheat sprouts, but it's good for you .
And the chickens LOVE 'em.  Nice to be able to give them a little greenery in the dead of winter.  We save the plastic containers meat usually comes in now, a little potting soil and some wheat seed.  Three or four days later you have a little portable "lawn" that the chickens will fight each other for.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Pasta.

/thread
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#3]
beer? tag this is of interest to me.
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 4:55:33 PM EDT
[#4]
yes-beer-tag,tag,taggity, tag!
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 9:52:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Salads

Link

Link

Link

eta
Although it's really just more uses for whole grain flour rather than a novel use for the berries, I like

Whole Grain Baking Cookbook

The Rhubarb coffee cake recipe is fantastic.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 2:00:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Salads

Link

Link

Link

eta
Although it's really just more uses for whole grain flour rather than a novel use for the berries, I like

Whole Grain Baking Cookbook

The Rhubarb coffee cake recipe is fantastic.

That sounds soo good.

Link Posted: 1/4/2011 2:42:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Sprouting wheat will get you some excellent nutrients.  I make beer with wheat and malt it as well.  
1 cup of wheat mixed with 4 cups tomato juice.  Combine and bring to a boil. Immediately transfer to a thermos and cover for 4 hours.  drain leftover juice and chill wheat. Add freash tomatos, cumin, and olive oil. Serve with fresh lettuce
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 7:12:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Has anyone tried it in something like yorkshire pudding or dumplings?
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 11:59:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Pizza and flat bread are good options
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#10]
My 3 year old son and I made these from the King Arthur Whole Grain Baking Cookbook I mentioned a few posts above.  Love 'em.  The multigrain is great.  They seem more "full bodied" according to my wife.  But at the same time, no one would spit them out and scream "Yuck!  Whole grain!" The biggest problem is that the cookies just don't last long enough.  Can't wait to try the frosted ginger-apple cookies.

Multigrain Snickerdoodles  Makes about 3 dozen.

Dough
3/4 c unsalted butter
1 1/2 c sugar
2 t baking powder
3/4 t salt
1 t vanilla extract
1 T orange juice
2 large eggs
1 1/3 c old fashioned rolled oats, ground for 30 seconds in a food processor
1 c whole barley flour (I bought hulled barley at a local health food store and ground that in my grinder)
3/4 c traditional whole wheat flour (I used the Wheat Montana hard white wheat from Wal-Mart) also ground in my grinder

Coating
1/3 c sugar
1 T ground cinnamon

Cream butter, sugar, baking powder, salt and vanilla in a large bowl.  Beat in the orange juice and eggs, scraping the bowl, then add the oats, barley flour and whole wheat flour, beating until well combined.  Refrigerate the dough, covered, overnight.

Preheat oven to 350.  Drop rolled tablespoon sized balls into cinnamon-sugar mixture and coat.  Place on lightly greased cookie sheets.  Can use parchment paper or silicone liner.  Flatten to 1/2 inch thick.

Bake the cookies, reversing the pans midway through (top to bottom, bottom to top) until they're beginning to brown around the edges 12-14 min.  

I realize the wheat is a high protein best suited to bread, but it's what I had, and I think it's really great wheat.  I don't think the cookies suffered because I didn't use a soft wheat.  My grinder is a Magic Mill III, no longer made, but I got it on eBay for $100 a few years ago.  I had to replace one just like it that got lost in a cross country move.  The dough is really wet, so the refrigeration is important.  I was in a hurry to have some last night, so I put some in a smaller bowl in the freezer.  They spread more than the ones today.  The ones today still were a bit on the thin side for me, though they did come out crunchy on the edges and chewy in the middle.  I may try not flattening them next time, or maybe just flatten a touch.

eta:  I made a great whole wheat pizza crust the other night with the same Wheat Montana wheat.  Topped it with olive oil, fresh basil, and garlic.  Yummy.  I used the pizza dough recipe from one of the Cook's Illustrated cookbooks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top