Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 5/2/2008 1:57:36 PM EST
Guys
I have a huge stock of 5 gallon buckets of rice, beans, oats, split peas etc. I used dry ice and gamma seals. I painted the buckets to limit light. When I did all this back in 96 there wasn't alot of mention of O2 packets or mylar. I had read in 2 sources that this was how to do it. Do I have a bunch of worthless crap at this point? I hate to open them up but is it the only way to tell what I have? Thy were kept in cool dark basement. Any of your experiences with this would be welcomed.
PJC
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 2:04:32 PM EST
more than likely they are fine
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 2:42:01 PM EST

Originally Posted By protus:
more than likely they are fine

Thanks. I would never have thought twice about it but I have heard that the plastic can allow the food inside to pick up a musty odor which makes the food pretty lousy.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:49:31 PM EST
Twelve year old rice and beans? It sounds like it's time to start eating that up, and replace it with new--packed in mylar with oxy-absorbers. Gamma seals are great, for the buckets you're currently eating out of, but regular lids will do just fine, for storage. With the food sealed in mylar, it's fine to use buckets that formerly held non-food contents. I use buckets that formerly contained stucco and drywall mud. They clean up just fine.

Rik
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:21:27 PM EST
Anybody got the links to that YouTube survival food prep guy who did the vids of rice stored just as he mentioned, being fine?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:32:00 AM EST

Originally Posted By MoparMike:
Anybody got the links to that YouTube survival food prep guy who did the vids of rice stored just as he mentioned, being fine?

http://www.youtube.com/delta69alpha
Top Top