Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2015 6:35:04 AM EDT
I just lost two maglites to swollen/corroded batteries. Generally I try to keep batteries out of devices until I need them but flashlights, radios and scopes need to be ready to go.
How do y'all keep up with them? Lists with yearly maintenance, swap them out periodically, store them outside next to the equipment?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:04:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Duracells?
http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/duracell-kaneohe-hawaii-c291176.html

edit add link, cant make hot on tablet.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:25:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:56:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Tag for later.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:45:18 AM EDT
[#4]
while I still have a couple of D cell LED Maglights, I've tried to standardize to Eneloop AA and AAA rechargables... the NiMH battery chemistry is less likely to leak than alkaline cells...my hurricane electronics and lighting is AA, and the AAA are for my keychain light... I have several charging options... solar, 12vdc cable tap as well as deep cycle trolling motor battery, 120ac, 5vdc USB

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:52:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Tell us what you have here please.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:01:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How do y'all keep up with them? Lists with yearly maintenance, swap them out periodically, store them outside next to the equipment?
View Quote

For alkaline and carbon-zinc batteries, I put a pair of 'em in a small plastic bag, and then toss them in the fridge.

Shelf life of alkaline cells at various storage temperatures:

Carbon-zinc cells follow a similar trend, albeit on a shorter time scale.

Putting just a couple of 'em in each bag helps minimize damage to other cells if one of them leaks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had Duracells leak and wreck headsets.  I don't trust them at all.  I have switched to Eneloops.  I have not had one of those leak yet, but my experience with them is just a little less than two years at this point.  The nice thing about the Eneloops is that it is not at wasteful to go around pulling batteries out and replacing them with freshly charged Eneloops.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:41:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Has battery chemistry changed among the major manufacturers for alkaline?  Cheaper source materials?  It seems in the last 5-7 years, I've personally had more devices ruined due to leaking batteries.  That also seems to be the case on multiple forums I visit as well.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:53:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Nicolet... Goal Zero 7w solar panel... it has two "power out" connections, a 12v female tubular and 5v USB (to USB mini)... the Guide 10 battery pack has USBmini input (this is the older version, and will not charge my older cell phone... the newer "plus" supposedly will)... the blue controller charger is a Fujicell SCH808F and can input from 12vdc, 120vac, 5vUSB... the 12v female tubular to battery clip was an early patch to use with 12v auto batteries... the Guide 10 battery pack also charges from a USBmini source like a phone charger... my power for a portable digital TV and other source is a deep discharge trolling motor battery with permanently attached socket... a pair of AA Eneloops with an adapter will run my ceiling fan for about 6 hours... in 2004 I had a 9 day power outage during hurricane season

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:51:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I might have to revisit rechargeables. In the past I was alway disappointed with their performance and cost to lifespan. Having a ceiling fan during a summer outage would be heavenly.

I learned about keeping alkalines in the fridge (probably from here) which is where my spares stay.

It's hard to keep up with all the stuff that take batteries. It seems like when I need it, it's broken, dead or dying.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:12:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I've lost a few devices to alkaline batteries.  The only replacement was an expensive 4xAA cell Princeton-Tec headlamp where the battery compartment eroded.  I actualy just wanted to purchase a new battery compartment, but they replaced thte whole headlamp.

Invest in rechargeable batteries.  I have both Eneloop and Imedion. For any device that I store with batteries, I use the rechargeables.  I recharge batteries annually.  I still buy bulk alkaline and keep them stored for emergencies where I know they'll get heavy use over a short period of time.  It sucks losing a light flashlight/headlamp to leaking batteries...the price of rechargeable batteries is a quick-return investment.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:59:11 AM EDT
[#13]
u352... pic of my tent fan converted to ceiling fan motor.... model airplane collet hub adapter and propeller... runs 9+ hours on a new D, and 6+ on a pair of AA Eneloops in an adapter pack.... you need to counterbalance the other blade of the fan

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:04:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Go to the Maglite site:http://maglite.com/support/overview.

From there, click on FAQ concerning if Maglite is covered under warranty for leaking batteries--it isn't.  BUT, most major batt mfrs have a program to repair/replace devices damaged by their batteries.

Here's what they have to say in FAQ:

"Because our warranty excludes battery-leak damage, you should NOT take the flashlight to a Mag Instrument Warranty Service Center and should NOT send it to our Warranty Department.

What you CAN do is determine what brand of batteries leaked and contact the battery manufacturer to see if it has a program to repair or replace your leak-damaged flashlight. Just about every well-known battery manufacturer has a “device-damage-by-battery-leakage” policy under which you may be eligible to have your flashlight repaired or replaced if it has been damaged by leakage of alkaline batteries which came from that manufacturer. Most of these policies require that the flashlight, with the faulty batteries, be sent to a designated address.  The policies differ in their details, and it’s advisable to contact the battery manufacturer before you send them anything, to confirm exactly what their eligibility requirements and procedures are.

For your convenience, we provide the following links to battery-manufacturer website pages that explain their “device-damage-by-battery-leakage” policies.

DURACELL: www.duracell.com/en-us/guarantee

ENERGIZER: http://www.energizer.com/about-batteries/battery-leakage

RAYOVAC: http://www.rayovac.com/contact/warranty-and-guarantee.aspx

(These links are current as of November 11, 2014 (Feb 25, 2015, raf) but you should reconfirm with the battery maker that they are still in effect before relying on them, as manufacturers’ policies and websites can of course be updated at any time. These are battery-manufacturer websites, not under Mag Instrument’s control, and we provide these links simply as a courtesy.)"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just lost two maglites to swollen/corroded batteries. Generally I try to keep batteries out of devices until I need them but flashlights, radios and scopes need to be ready to go. How do y'all keep up with them? Lists with yearly maintenance, swap them out periodically, store them outside next to the equipment?

Go to the Maglite site:http://maglite.com/support/overview.

From there, click on FAQ concerning if Maglite is covered under warranty for leaking batteries--it isn't.  BUT, most major batt mfrs have a program to repair/replace devices damaged by their batteries.

Here's what they have to say in FAQ:

"Because our warranty excludes battery-leak damage, you should NOT take the flashlight to a Mag Instrument Warranty Service Center and should NOT send it to our Warranty Department.

What you CAN do is determine what brand of batteries leaked and contact the battery manufacturer to see if it has a program to repair or replace your leak-damaged flashlight. Just about every well-known battery manufacturer has a “device-damage-by-battery-leakage” policy under which you may be eligible to have your flashlight repaired or replaced if it has been damaged by leakage of alkaline batteries which came from that manufacturer. Most of these policies require that the flashlight, with the faulty batteries, be sent to a designated address.  The policies differ in their details, and it’s advisable to contact the battery manufacturer before you send them anything, to confirm exactly what their eligibility requirements and procedures are.

For your convenience, we provide the following links to battery-manufacturer website pages that explain their “device-damage-by-battery-leakage” policies.

DURACELL: www.duracell.com/en-us/guarantee

ENERGIZER: http://www.energizer.com/about-batteries/battery-leakage

RAYOVAC: http://www.rayovac.com/contact/warranty-and-guarantee.aspx

(These links are current as of November 11, 2014 (Feb 25, 2015, raf) but you should reconfirm with the battery maker that they are still in effect before relying on them, as manufacturers’ policies and websites can of course be updated at any time. These are battery-manufacturer websites, not under Mag Instrument’s control, and we provide these links simply as a courtesy.)"

Has anybody tried that recently?  Years ago I tried to get a battery manufacturer to honor that warranty, and it was like dealing with the post office.  I finally gave up.  I would like to hear some recent success stories.  In the case of the headsets I had ruined, the manufacturer had gone to a new model and had run out of parts for the damaged model.  I couldn't even have them repaired if I wanted to send the unit back to the manufacturer for repairs, so I didn't even bother with the "warranty."
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:43:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I use both rechargeable and alkaline.  I tend to use alkaline in my EDC lights and head lamps in an attempt to rotate through my stores.  I don't keep a ton put back but enough where I could use a small LED light with no resupply for a very long time.  I use rechargeable mostly in my GPS and cameras.  I am not a huge flashlight guru, my edc light is a fenix e01 or small button light on my key chain.  I use a 100 lumen rayovac head lamp 90% of the time otherwise and its plenty bright enough.  I use alkaline in that, but keep an eye on it.

Most of my rechargeable stuff comes from http://www.batteryjunction.com/

I have been using their tenergy branded NiMh for several years now with good results.  Probably not as good as eneloops but I don't really use anything high speed low drag.

I use a smart charger and it seems to make the rechargeable work a bit better.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/8800.html

double A, triple A, 120 household or 12v power point.  Its a pretty well rounded charger for the money.

Been using mine for around 3 or 4 years now and still works great.  I liked it so much that I ordered another to put back incase.  I also got them for my father and brother a couple years ago.

ETA/ small solar is my next step, after half a dozen more jerry cans.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:19:38 PM EDT
[#17]
II use AA Eneloops with adapters and a Lacrosse charger
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:14:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Lithium or rechargable where possable.

Sams has the little bulk packs of energizer lithium stuff, aa for years and now aaa version as well.  Don't know if this is the best price but it fits my budget for picking some up a few times a year.

Eneloops from when they did the christmas sparkle closeouts, in aa, and I like em and will get more in a few years probably.

I do have some alkaline batteries, mostly handout stuff in aa or aaa since I use lithium or rechargable for my stuff in these sizes.  D cell is alkaline and I do have some led maglights from lowes black friday sale, was easier to swing by when I lived near one.  I check em a few times a year.

cr123a is from my surefires and surefires still work just fine.  I have been messing with cheap stuff from amazon in 18650 when they had their big discounts and what not over christmas so I am moving that direction bit by bit.

The maglights stay in the vehicle or by a door and if someone needs to borrow a light it is hard to lose a maglight.  Lot simpler to misplace a small flashlight.

I recomend lithium in stuff that has to work and you want to keep batteries in but use rarely.

I like rechargables for stuff that gets used a lot.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:33:42 PM EDT
[#19]
As far as batteries, the worst thing I ever did was listen to some ARFcom advise circa 2009 that said to put batteries in the FREEZER in order to extend life.

I put about 120 batteries in the freezer, before reading elsewhere it could cause problems. I took them out, and over the next 2 years about 15% of them burst. It ruined a few lights and made messes in a few more.

The fridge sounds like a much better option.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Has battery chemistry changed among the major manufacturers for alkaline?  Cheaper source materials?  It seems in the last 5-7 years, I've personally had more devices ruined due to leaking batteries.  That also seems to be the case on multiple forums I visit as well.
View Quote

Very true. I have too.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:53:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Depending on what you keep around some of the current battery designs and shapes do not match what I recall from a decade ago, but I don't have anything from a decade ago to do a side by side with.

I bought one bulk pack of some name at tractor supply or somewhere on a black friday sale, probably 4 years ago.

In using them I had short run times and eventually a battery or two leaked and it messed up several batteries next to it in the bulk pack and overall I taught myself to skip stuff like that.

I have had duracell leak on me, caught it before it mattered.  Just tossed the batteries out.

I don't think I have had energizer regular stuff leak on me, but I buy mostly duracell alkaline if buying that type.

As mentioned, I mostly went lithium and recharagable and threads like this reinforce that concept.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:29:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Has anybody tried that recently?  Years ago I tried to get a battery manufacturer to honor that warranty, and it was like dealing with the post office.  I finally gave up.  I would like to hear some recent success stories.  In the case of the headsets I had ruined, the manufacturer had gone to a new model and had run out of parts for the damaged model.  I couldn't even have them repaired if I wanted to send the unit back to the manufacturer for repairs, so I didn't even bother with the "warranty."

I've sent multiple items back...to each of the "big 3" battery MFG's....everything from maglites to 15.00 wally world CD players to a 190.00 GPS unit.  No hassles anywhere...although they didn't "at our option we may repair" the item...they always sent a check for the amount to replace it.  Call them first and ask if you need a RMA #...I can't recall if I did or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top