Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2013 4:56:24 AM EDT
I've been buying extra canned goods and stocking bottled water for while now, but I don't feel as prepared as I need to be for food.  I have a Costco account, and have heard that some of their emergency food preps are a pretty decent deal.  I have a generator, propane stove, plenty of canned vegetables and a family of four. What would you guys recommend for say a 15 day supply of food?  The number of choices of freeze dried stuff in buckets is overwhelming, and I was hoping some of you more experienced guys might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks

ETA--I know the food is just a start, I've got a ways to go.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:45:54 AM EDT
[#1]
One of the best pieces of advice I ever heard on this issue is this:  Stock what you eat.

Some things are easier than others to stock, so you might have to "modify" your diet when you are relying on your stored food, but it is best to try to keep it as close to your regular diet.  

We stock rice, pasta, canned goods, oats, etc.  
Those are all things that are easy to buy and store in bulk.  We have enough of those to last for a year,  Then, we just rotate our stores so none of it is more than a year old.  In addition to having a good supply of food on hand, it saves a LOT of money to buy in bulk.

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:16:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 9:04:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, that's some good advice.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#4]
my "canned" food storage plan is to "store what you eat" ....I'm single, so can get by with a shelf rack from Home Depot for a pantry... case lot "flats" from Sams Club turned on edge helps to organize as I don't have a can rotator... when the flats get low, the few remaining individual cans are removed and placed on to top to be used first... I have some long term rice, beans, etc stored in vacuum seal pouches and glass canning jars... a bucket of freeze dried meals in case of a hurricane evacuation... water in a couple of 6gal blue containers and a Sawyer .1micron bucket filter, on property shallow well

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top