Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2014 10:47:08 PM EDT
Baofeng has a new vesion radio called GT-3, which uses different chips. But it is priced higher than Baofeng UV-5R.  

Baofeng GT-3

What do you think of it? Is it a real improvement or just a marketing gimmick?

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 11:26:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Ask brickolore.com :)
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:05:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:51:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Good resources listed above. I have one. You will definitely want chirp to program it. It is completely open so it will transmit on any frequency it will receive (except commercial FM radio) so be cautious with the PTT.

It receives fine. I haven't had a chance to transmit yet, still waiting for my call sign to populate. Seems solid and fairly rugged. I have a UV-5RE+ on the way so I will do a comparison between the 2 as far as signal with the stock and the Expert Power 7.5" that are on the way for both.

Mine came with the radio, programming cable which is a must for these and the external mic for around $70. A lot more than the UV5R but after you factor in the cost of the cable and mic it is only about $15 more.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:38:40 AM EDT
[#5]
When will those crazy Chinese quit putting "flashlights" on their radios?  Don't they know that's what cell phones are for?!?!?!?!

As if I didn't carry a flashlight anyway...
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:50:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You will definitely want chirp to program it. It is completely open so it will transmit on any frequency it will receive (except commercial FM radio) so be cautious with the PTT.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
You will definitely want chirp to program it. It is completely open so it will transmit on any frequency it will receive (except commercial FM radio) so be cautious with the PTT.

Q: Can I disable the transmitter on Monitor Only frequencies?
A: Yes. This can be done using the CHIRP software.
Enter the desired receive frequency.
In the Duplex Field, select SPLIT
In the Offset Field, enter 0.0
000.000 will display when transmitter is keyed. No RF is generated.

http://chirp.danplanet.com/issues/211
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

When will those crazy Chinese quit putting "flashlights" on their radios?  Don't they know that's what cell phones are for?!?!?!?!

View Quote

Yaesu has jumped on that bandwagon for some unknown but undoubtedly completely retarded reason - and the Baofeng at 1/10 the price works a lot better as a flashlight

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 9:43:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I kinda like the flashlight on my wouxon

I am starting to get sick of all the new, but same HTs. Wow look another dual band HT, oh wow this one has a blue screen, this one has bottle opener, etc etc.

When they start releasing APRS HTs or even knockoff Dstar radios at 1/4 the price of what's on the market things will get even better because that will make the Japanese folks step up their game. Wouxon and now one of the others (ux2 I think) have 220MHz which is something US hams have been screaming for.

I am not the biggest supporter of chinese radios but they have done some good for the hobby. Like

Standardize the speaker mic plug
Introduce thousands to the hobby
Knocked the price into the dirt
Brought back features like FM radio

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 9:57:05 AM EDT
[#9]
DIfference in the RF and  Modulator chips are minor Since they're in the same family. Can't see the number on the amp chip on the 5R to see if it's different.

The upper and larger numbers on them identify the chip. The lower number is usually a date/production code.

ETA: The 5802N has a slightly wider reccomended operating temp range, going to 75 deg C as opposed to 70. The 5802E appears to pull less current. Not much else diffrent according to the spec sheets. Max temps are the same at 90 deg C.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:35:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote
???

Older radios didn't have it. Some really old ones(and ever some of the more modern ones from some companies) barely even do anything outside the ham bands, never mind broadcast band stuff. It was a nice bonus feature to get one that could switch to AM mode and tune down to airband to listen to airport traffic(Icom IC-W32A, with its intermod-susceptible front end, had what was wide receive coverage at the time of 118-174 for VHF and 400-470 for UHF). "Newer" ones do, and they pre-date the chicom radios by a good bit in many cases - Yaesu HT's have been able to pick up FM and for many models AM band as well, my VX-5 and VX-7 both did(along with shortwave if you bother to hook up a proper antenna) as well as my new FT1D, and even the old FT-50R had FM band receive. Kenwood's F6A even has SSB/CW receive capabilities on shortwave.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
???

Older radios didn't have it. Some really old ones(and ever some of the more modern ones from some companies) barely even do anything outside the ham bands, never mind broadcast band stuff. It was a nice bonus feature to get one that could switch to AM mode and tune down to airband to listen to airport traffic(Icom IC-W32A, with its intermod-susceptible front end, had what was wide receive coverage at the time of 118-174 for VHF and 400-470 for UHF). "Newer" ones do, and they pre-date the chicom radios by a good bit in many cases - Yaesu HT's have been able to pick up FM and for many models AM band as well, my VX-5 and VX-7 both did(along with shortwave if you bother to hook up a proper antenna) as well as my new FT1D, and even the old FT-50R had FM band receive. Kenwood's F6A even has SSB/CW receive capabilities on shortwave.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

???

Alinco DJ-v57
Icom T70A
Kenwood THD72
Kenwood TH-k20
Yeasu FT60r
Yeasu FT-250
Yeasu FT-270

Nearly half of the radios in the big 3's line up don't receive the broadcast band and the ones that do are around $300. I don't know of any Chinese radios that don't have the capability. Sure it isn't a big deal because you didn't buy the radio to listen to hair metal, but it is nice to have.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 6:01:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

So, I'm guessing you won't be taking advantage of this upgrade?

Cheers,
Brick
The Radios
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 2:30:22 PM EDT
[#13]
So... is this better than my UV-5R or UV-5RA?
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 3:48:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So... is this better than my UV-5R or UV-5RA?
View Quote

I picked up a GT-3 first but had to have the 5 just because there are so many accessories available for it. I got a UV-5RE+ and it seems solid but the GT-3 feels like a much higher quality unit. The screen is definitely better and it does seem to have a slight edge in receiving. The antenna is a definite improvement on the GT-3 but even with the Expert power 7.5" on both the GT-3 picks up a little better. The audio is a definite inprovement on the GT-3. I am going to pick up a second GT-3 for the wife and a second UV-5R but the 5's will be getting used as backups and go bag duty due to the extended batteries available and the AA packs available for them. Think ofnrhe GT-3 as the next generation.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 9:24:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Cheers,
Brick
The Radios
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers,
Brick
The Radios

I'll have to buy one for the next time I go to a rave.  

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 9:34:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I am a huge fan of the UV-5Ra...  It is my main EDC HT and I have several spares.  My main reason for liking it so much is its OK quality, its decent performance, its super low cost, and its even cheaper accessories including batteries.  I wouldn't be opposed to trying a GT-3 however I would like to see the price come down a little and see affordable accessories become available.  Once we start approaching the $100 mark I start looking at some of the big name brands that are known for quality and longevity...  At the under $50 price mark I have no problem rolling the dice a bit with an HT and especially with one that has proven it self like the UV-5R (pick any model.)  The biggest selling point of the UV-5R up until this point though has been its price...  Hard to go wrong with sub $40 programmable dual band HT...  Especially when spare batteries cost less then $10.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 9:44:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm told by those who know it is just another "skin" on a very slightly updated radio.  The differences are nil.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:52:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm looking at this on Radioddity as my entry into Ham radio. What would you guys recommend as a good replacement for the OEM low gain antenna? Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:21:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm looking at this on Radioddity as my entry into Ham radio. What would you guys recommend as a good replacement for the OEM low gain antenna? Thanks!
View Quote

Not the expert power. I ordered 2 and both were bad. They will not seat straight due to manufacturer defects. Look at diamond since the Nagoya appears to not seat properly due to being slightly too big at the base.

Are you looking at the GT-3 or the 5? The GT-3 is a better unit imho with better audio, better screen, more well made feel and a better antenna than the 5 but the 5 has a huge accessory catalog available for it. It depends on your intended use. For a B.O.B I would go with the 5, AA pack and an extra extended battery. For an every day use HT go with the GT-3. Or do what I did and get both the GT-3 and thre UV-5RE+
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:35:23 AM EDT
[#20]
NO MATTER WHAT YOU BUY, GET THE PROG CABLE!
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:51:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
NO MATTER WHAT YOU BUY, GET THE PROG CABLE!
View Quote

This cannot be stressed enough. It is a must purchase. The GT-3 I bought was $10 more on amazon than the one listed below it but came with the external speaker/mic and the programing cable. Without it it is a frustrating paperweight.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:09:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Yes. Buy the programming cable! I bought the one off Amazon that says "Baofeng" on it. I used that with the CHIRP program and I was able to load the radio with freqs. Don't think you are going to be able to do it by hand.... wont work out well.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:18:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Leaning towards a GT3 and more everyday vs B.O.B.
For the antennae, I'll go with a diamond vs Nagoya.
I'm going to get a 2x package with the mic, programming cable, etc.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:51:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I ordered on Amazon and got the GT-3, Mic and cable from Save N Shop in 2 days. I would order that package twice just to have 2 external Mics and a second cable since the mic and radio separately would be more than the whole package cost.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top