Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2007 4:14:27 AM EDT
Looking for an excellent backpack, one that is all weather, does any one have any suggestion? If you have one and it works please would you provide specs on it and if possible maybe some Pics?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:30:56 AM EDT
[#1]
  I had a hard time when I looked for an all weather pack
that was camo, went with a woodland camo ALICE pack
and stowed the contents in trashbags for waterproofing.
Works fine.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:46:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I usually do the same thing regardless if the bag is waterproof or not, just a safety to keep everything nice and dry.  Bonus, you have garbage bags to use for a lot of other purposes if needed.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:12:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:17:50 AM EDT
[#4]
How big do you need? What will it carry?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:38:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Find a backpack that feels good to you and just get a cover for it. They make very light sil/nylon ones now. That way you are not limiting your choices for style and fit over something like waterproofness, which might be less than optimal for a pack, with all the openings and stitching and stuff.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:39:25 AM EDT
[#6]
opps
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:46:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Spray it with water repellant when U get one.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:36:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Few if any backpacks are waterproof if that's what you are looking for. Best bet is to get a pack cover and use the trashbags as said before. Personally I don't worry about keeping everything absolutely dry (except my sleeping bag) being outdoors in the rain, things get wet no way around it, good gear works just as well damp as it does dry...

You need to give more info on what you will be using the pack for before anyone can give you much advice. BOB? Day hikes? Weekend trips? 5+ days? In FL or in cold areas?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:47:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a Army pack I bought off of Ebay awhile back. Paid something around $70.00 for it. It's made of a sort of rubberized vinyl material, has flaps over the zippers - see pic's, and is mil-spec through and through.
I use it for a truck bag, more like a GHB. It might hold around 35 or 40 pounds of stuff.

See zipper flap exposed here-

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:53:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Check out the Tactical Tailor holiday sale on 3 day assault packs.  

Trust me...

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:01:33 AM EDT
[#11]
For the money, this can not be beat for a overnight, light 3 day, or BOB.

Swedish Cordura Pack for under $25

I bought several of these "new" for $9.99 at a local surplus store. They are indestructable.

Buy a set of ALICE straps to upgrade it and you have the perfect trunk pack or light 3-say pack.

The cordura nylon is top notch, and the buckles are metal, not plastic.

I sprayed it with silicon spray and it is water repellent. I use two trashbags as a waterproof inner liner.

For the money you can not buy a better pack.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:06:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Looking for an excellent backpack, one that is all weather, does any one have any suggestion? If you have one and it works please would you provide specs on it and if possible maybe some Pics?

I REALLY like my Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone and Sea to Summit Ultralight Pack Liner.  Granite Gear offers an excellent, user-configurable suspension system for a production pack.  Check out their Owner's Manual.  They offer frames in two lengths and hip belts and shoulder harnesses in several sizes, so you can get a custom fit and carry at a production pack price.  I can't recommend them highly enough.  If you want something heavier duty, take a look at their heavier packs.  They use the same suspension system.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:01:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm probably going to get a Kelty Redwing as a hiker ($70-$100 depending on where you shop and if it's on sale), but I found a cheap $20 daypack (with a waist belt) that works fine as my bag-o-handy-stuff in the truck.  Looks like a student's bookbag/pack, and holds all my essentials.  It has nice wide shoulder straps and seems to carry well too.

Tactical packs are heavier, smaller (by class), and much more expensive than hiker packs.  If you like MOLLE doo-dads, or camo is your thing, that's cool, but these things are worth considering if you ever have to drag that pack for miles and miles (and ounces begin to count).
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
For the money, this can not be beat for a overnight, light 3 day, or BOB.

Swedish Cordura Pack for under $25

I bought several of these "new" for $9.99 at a local surplus store. They are indestructable.

Buy a set of ALICE straps to upgrade it and you have the perfect trunk pack or light 3-say pack.

The cordura nylon is top notch, and the buckles are metal, not plastic.

I sprayed it with silicon spray and it is water repellent. I use two trashbags as a waterproof inner liner.

For the money you can not buy a better pack.

Ouch! At first I thought it looked pretty good, then I saw the lack of hip belt padding. Probably wouldn't matter as a truck/travel bag as you would not be humping it far.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:37:47 PM EDT
[#16]
what ever ya get. make sure it is sized to your torso.... if you plan on loads above 25lbs, you'll want a framed pack either internal or external!

tell us what ya need teh pack to do,,how many days etc etc..... will helps us tell you what "we" think you should have...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top