Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/28/2018 6:28:20 AM EDT
I'm looking for a pillow for short backpacking trips.

I'm a side/stomach sleeper, but I can't sleep without a thick FIRM pillow.

I tried a Sea2Summit Aeros pillow...felt great, made it easy to sleep, but it got a pinhole leak after the third night and it deflates under my head in about 15 minutes and I wake up with my head on a rock. Got returned to REI.

I tried a Klymat Kush, but it's just too weird with the "fold in 3rds" thing that doesn't want to stay together (even in the pillow pocket of a sleeping bag), and the shape just feels weird under my head.

I'm thinking about just using my 90L pack for short trips and stuffing a normal pillow (from my bed) into the pack, but that seems really excessive.

Anyone know of a better option?
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 6:56:42 AM EDT
inflated collapsible 5 quart Army canteen
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 8:18:22 AM EDT
I have this pillow http://a.co/0fqokKd

It has served me well for the past 4 years and several camping trips.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 8:39:18 AM EDT
Exped
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:14:44 PM EDT
Thermarest makes a stuff able synthetic fill pillow. You can get a size L. Comfy, but stiff weight penalty for a pillow.

Otherwise I prefer to use a stuff sack filled loosely with clothes or a down jacket.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 2:07:48 PM EDT
Try the Nemo Fillo. I like mine.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 11:21:23 PM EDT
Best camping pillow is when you take a box of wine camping and blow the bladder up as a pillow afterward.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 1:39:55 AM EDT
I have a Cocoon air pillow I like. OP, put your air pillow inside a t-shirt it help protect it and so it doesn't slide around under your head.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 9:44:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2018 9:47:42 PM EDT by rfox]
I have a small memory foam pillow i use. It compresses down pretty small and expands out quickly. Not sure where i bought it. Its similar to this.

Pillow
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 7:21:24 PM EDT
@Iram

Antigravity Gear - Flex Air Ultralight Pillow

Features:
Lightweight inflatable design
Folds and packs flat for easy storage
Soft and durable non-woven poly exterior
Easily adjustable air pressure for better comfort while you sleep

Specifications:
Dimensions (LxW): 19? x 12.5? / 48 x 32 cm
Weight: 0.9 oz / 27 g each
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 9:05:31 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MrVegas:
@Iram

Antigravity Gear - Flex Air Ultralight Pillow

Features:
Lightweight inflatable design
Folds and packs flat for easy storage
Soft and durable non-woven poly exterior
Easily adjustable air pressure for better comfort while you sleep

Specifications:
Dimensions (LxW): 19? x 12.5? / 48 x 32 cm
Weight: 0.9 oz / 27 g each
View Quote
That actually looks pretty decent, especially the weight.

I have both the Nemo Fillo and the same Sea to Summit Aeros. I've had zero issues with my Aeros an it's been by far the best pillow I've used on the trail...it must have a dozen or so multi-day trips. Now, I sleep in a hammock, so my pillow is pretty well protected from the ground. The Nemo, I've had for some time and it's very robust; and of course, it's weighs much more (10.8oz). It's very comfortable and if the air bladder does fail, it has a bungee cord system on the back where you can add a fleece or jacket to create cushion as a backup.

As for using pillows on backpacking trips where I literally track, manage, and scrutinize grams, I've just acknowledged I'm an old pussy now and comfort is a much more important factor on our longer backpacking trips

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 9:07:25 PM EDT
I try to go light, which means reuse of items where possible.

For a pillow, I use a stuff sack and a fleece inside.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 11:38:19 PM EDT
Get another S2S and hope it doesn’t pop. I love mine.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 11:42:49 PM EDT
Use your pack...
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 11:49:07 PM EDT
5 qt water blivet. Blow it up to firmness, deflate when done.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:40:05 PM EDT
Klymit.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:48:57 PM EDT
I have a fleece draw string bag I made. Stuff it with clothes at night for my pillow.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:52:10 PM EDT
I’m a side sleeper as well and at home I spoon a big pillow. Tent sleeping is generally poor sleep for me. I have never found a solution. But, I carry on.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 3:30:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AR45fan:
I’m a side sleeper as well and at home I spoon a big pillow. Tent sleeping is generally poor sleep for me. I have never found a solution. But, I carry on.
View Quote
when you hike or camp, you don't go to sleep, you just take a series of naps throughout the entire night haha.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 3:41:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Accountant30339:
Use your pack...
View Quote
Or a jacket
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 3:46:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/10/2018 3:48:28 PM EDT by DKamps]
Dry sack with change of clothes/jacket inside. Can cover the sack in an old T shirt/small towel/rag or something to give it some breathability from your face. Why bring more than you need if you're hiking it around?

... if your driving to a camp spot, and setting up shop... bring a normal pillow lol
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 3:53:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RockSix:
inflated collapsible 5 quart Army canteen
View Quote
Also note, the bag inside boxed wine is pretty fucking strong and can be used as a pillow.

Some styles are harder to close when full of air so try a few brands.

(Not really joking, I have done this. You can also refill them with water (slightly wine flavored) to carry water in, then sleep on the empty bag.)
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 4:09:51 PM EDT
I use a backpacking pillow case and just stuff it with clothes. If im packed lite, I’ll inflate my dry bag and stuff that in it.

(Side sleeper too)
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 9:14:11 PM EDT
Exped works well, so far. Although, it is pricey for what it is.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 1:24:04 PM EDT
I use a 10L MSR dromedary bag… and in the summer can put water in it to stay cool.
Top Top