Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/28/2011 12:27:17 PM EDT
Hey guys, my 2000 Dodge Durango (4.7L) 4x4 is in need of some new shocks all the way around. I did a torsion and shackle lift (raised it about 2") but otherwise everything is stock.

I will be replacing both front wheels hubs, ball joints (upper and lower) and would like to do the shocks too. I just put 2 new tires on the back (31x10.50-15 BFG Mud Terrain KM2) and will be putting them on the front in two weeks as well. Following that I would like to redo the suspension so if SHTF (as in no job) I don't have to worry so much about old (original) parts breaking so much.

Anyone have recommendations as what to go with? So far I have been checking Napa's website (prefer to do business with them) and I like the reviews on the Reflex shocks by Monroe? Any ideas? I do drive it back and forth to work on the back roads about 10mi each way. I have 4.56 gears in it so I stay away from highways/freeways. The back roads are tore up pretty good though.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 12:50:53 PM EDT
I run Biltein 5100's on my Taco, they are great shocks. They last a long time, the set on there now has @80k on them and they aren't leaking and still dampen nicely.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 12:52:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2011 12:55:40 PM EDT by kkunz]
Bilstein 5100

ETA missed by 2 minutes
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:00:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By kkunz:
Bilstein 5100

ETA missed by 2 minutes

They do not offer the 5100s for the durango... only the ram pickups.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 7:48:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2011 7:53:21 PM EDT by kkunz]
Originally Posted By Thumbtack:
Originally Posted By kkunz:
Bilstein 5100

ETA missed by 2 minutes

They do not offer the 5100s for the durango... only the ram pickups.

That sucks I have them on my 04 Dodge ram with a KORE suspension and its night and day difference. I do see that have a stock replacements Which I’m sure would be a good choice and would be my pick if I had you Durango and Bilstein seems to know what there doing and make shocks for every thing from race cares to off road desert truck and very thing in between

I just reread you first post and realized you have a 2” lift so I’m not sure if the make a long factory replacements for your application. Do you have the factory shocks on it now?
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:18:14 PM EDT
Bilsteins are great. The next Jeep I buy is going to be BDS all the way. BDS is awesome to deal with as they have great customer service and an even better product.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 10:33:01 PM EDT
Back when I was looking into such things 10 years +/-, Rancho used to be the go to off road shock. Are they still in the game or did they get passed up and left behind???
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 11:20:41 PM EDT
Haven't kept up with Rancho's market position, but I've run their RS9000 shocks on my full-size longbed chevy truck for more years and more miles on the same set than I dare to state. No one would believe me if I said it. And they still work just fine, and their adjustment range still functions too.

And looking at Summit, they're still being offerred.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/Rancho/Product-Line/Rancho-RS9000-Shocks/

albeit at over twice the price I originally paid. I think they were $45ea when I bought them. BIlstein, KYB were teh rage then and survive now. They all seem to know what they are doing.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 1:19:25 AM EDT
What do you guys think about the Rancho RS9000XL shocks? Looks pretty good to me... never bought offroad stuff before I just do a lot of woods running 5 months of the year for hunting season
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:05:38 AM EDT

What do you guys think about the Rancho RS9000XL shocks? Looks pretty good to me... never bought offroad stuff before I just do a lot of woods running 5 months of the year for hunting season

IMHO they are a complete waste of money. I would just find a good multi-valve shock. Hell I've been running some $16.99 each specials that I bought on Pirate4x4 5 years ago on my Suburban. They are still working fine.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:57:13 AM EDT
FWIW..... I've had Ranchos fail within a year of use on my Duramax/worktruck
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:27:00 PM EDT
I have used Rancho, ProComp, Fabtech, and the top brands from Napa...etc. Currently I have a 98 Chevy Silverado, 6" procomp lift kit, running 35x12.50's.
I am using the Procomp ES9000. I haven't had any issues with them at all, and you can skip the middle man and get shocks much cheaper. I get mine here.
The prices on the site below are typically much cheaper, shipping is quick and it's a site you can trust.

Shocks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:33:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2011 4:34:30 PM EDT by matt33]
Not to sound like a broken record, but in my experience Bilstein 5100's are the best non-external reservoir shocks on the market. I've tried many other shocks from most major manufacturers. I live on a washboard of a dirt road so any weaknesses are generally quick to identify. Bilstein seem to have noticeably better damping and also seem to last a lot longer than other shocks. If you're going to go through the trouble of replacing your shocks, I say you may as well install the 5100's.

BTW, nice GSD's. I have one and he is like a member of the family. As you are well aware, they're awesome dogs.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:47:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2011 6:31:42 PM EDT by Thumbtack]
NO 5100 SHOCKS AVAILABLE FOR THE DURANGO

How about the bilstein HDs?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:58:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2011 5:06:11 PM EDT by Toiyabe66]
Bilstein stock replacement (HD) shocks frequently reduce the amount of travel available.

I have had crappy luck with all the low-end shocks from Rancho/Pro-Comp, etc... Which really isn't that surprising, as they are all made in the same factory.

I have not liked the Rancho 9000XL.

I would recommend getting a set of Bilstein 7100s made for your application. This will run you about $700 for a set of four, including rebuild kits for all of them, and two gallons of shock oil. That would be the best bet, long term. I have a set on my F250 (I'm a Bilstein authorized rebuilder for race shocks) that have about 50k on them, of hard miles. I'll be rebuilding them here soon.

No shock absorber will retain 75% of it's new damping effectiveness after 50k miles. None. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either mis-informed, or trying to sell you something. The major advantage to stock replacement Bilsteins is the lifetime warranty.
The downside is the limited travel and easy over-heating.

FWIW, I own three trucks, one has Bilstein HDs, one has Bilstein 7100s, and one has Foxs.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:14:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2011 5:19:56 PM EDT by caduckgunner]

Originally Posted By Toiyabe66:
Bilstein stock replacement (HD) shocks frequently reduce the amount of travel available.

I have had crappy luck with all the low-end shocks from Rancho/Pro-Comp, etc... Which really isn't that surprising, as they are all made in the same factory.

I would recommend getting a set of Bilstein 7100s made for your application. This will run you about $700 for a set of four, including rebuild kits for all of them, and two gallons of shock oil. That would be the best bet, long term. I have a set on my F250 (I'm a Bilstein authorized rebuilder for race shocks) that have about 50k on them, of hard miles. I'll be rebuilding them here soon.

No shock absorber will retain 75% of it's new damping effectiveness after 50k miles. None. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either mis-informed, or trying to sell you something. The major advantage to stock replacement Bilsteins is the lifetime warranty.

FWIW, I own three trucks, one has Bilstein HDs, one has Bilstein 7100s, and one has Foxs.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/toiyabe66/Shop%209/DSCN4771.jpg
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/toiyabe66/Shop%209/DSCN4773.jpg
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/toiyabe66/Shop%209/DSCN4794.jpg
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/toiyabe66/Shop%209/DSCN4795.jpg
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/toiyabe66/Shop%209/DSCN4851.jpg

That was a joke right? It's a fucking Durango with a torsion bar lift. How much travel do you think he has left anyways? I can pretty much guaranty it's no desert blaster or rock buggy. Why in the fuck would he want remote reservoir shocks? Unless he is a "Bro" then I would understand. And if they don't make 5100 series for his truck, do you really think they are going to make 7100 series to fit it?

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:24:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By caduckgunner:

Originally Posted By Toiyabe66:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/toiyabe66/Shop%209/DSCN4771.jpg
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/toiyabe66/Shop%209/DSCN4773.jpg
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/toiyabe66/Shop%209/DSCN4794.jpg
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/toiyabe66/Shop%209/DSCN4795.jpg
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/toiyabe66/Shop%209/DSCN4851.jpg

That was a joke right? It's a fucking Durango with a torsion bar lift. How much travel do you think he has left anyways? I can pretty much guaranty it's no desert blaster or rock buggy. Why in the fuck would he want remote reservoir shocks? Unless he is a "Bro" then I would understand. And if they don't make 5100 series for his truck, do you really think they are going to make 7100 series to fit it?

Partially a joke.
7100s are a great deal - for a custom fit. The last set I bought was less than $150 more than a set of Bilstein HDs.
And the HDs I had on my last Land Cruiser would both bottom out before it hit the bumpstops and also took over 2" off the droop range. It's his money - given what it is, I'd just bolt on a set of HDs, and get them warrantied every 6 months to a year.

They don't make 7100s to fit an F250, either. A little measuring, and a call to your nearest Bilstein dealer, and a few weeks later a box arrives.

I just hate buying cheap.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:48:47 PM EDT
NO 5100 SHOCKS AVAILABLE FOR THE DURAGNO

How about the bilstein HDs?

Sorry, I missed that 5100's aren't available for your BOV because it wasn't part of your original post. The Bilstein HD's are very good. They generally aren't made for lifted vehicles, but if you only have a couple inches of lift it should be fine. The HD's are way better than any Rancho or Napa shock I've tried.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:53:04 PM EDT
Bilsteins.
i put them on in the rear of my durango and man it was like night and day. never got around to doing the front before i got rid of it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:53:24 PM EDT
ok So I guess I will go with Bilstein HD shocks
Top Top