Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2012 1:15:39 PM EDT
I've been setting up my BOB this week and I have hit a planning snag...

...In a WROL/Bug Out situation where you are on the move for 72 hours without provided shelter (Backpacking for 72hrs) with 3 weapons to choose from: AK Underfolder, 1911 or 380 Backup like a LCP or Bodyguard, what would you consider carrying?

Also please comment on your poll choice and say why for discussion, if you would like to.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:32:27 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a pretty loaded question for me. I guess it depends on the scenario. If it is total chaos, no law enforcement, .mil, etc., then I would carry the rifle openly but I would sure lurk in the shadows to not be seen. If I were in an area where I was seen but I was wasn't in imminent danger, I would have my main handgun open and the rifle on the pack or packed away. The bottom line for me and my family is to not be a target and to not bring trouble our way if at all possible. I want to stay away from people. Again, it all depends on the scenario. My weapon loadout would be different than yours, but same basic concept.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:03:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:52:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's a pretty loaded question for me. I guess it depends on the scenario. .

Agreed.

I'm generally a rifle/carbine fan, but I can see scenarios where a concealed handgun (no smaller than a G19) would be better.

The .380?  maybe as a backup to the handgun but no way would I have it as my primary means of defense.

So the consensus is not enough info.  Since there is a limited selection I'd opt for the 1911 with 2 extra mags

would carry concealed but eazily accessable, weight would be primary concern. To many other things to carry that would

increase comfort and speed.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:04:46 PM EDT
[#4]
So, AR15 is not a choice! I do have an AR pistol in my bag.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:44:41 PM EDT
[#5]
You didn't list it as an option, but I extrapolated all the info and decided that I would carry the underfolder in the bag and have the 1911 holstered under a jacket.  If I could carry both, that's the way I would do it.  It would pretty much cover all situations you should encounter and be able to deal with.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I chose the concealed 1911 option.

Depending on the Bug Out situation and the location, I could see the exposed firearm options as more of a liability. I would imagine that having a AK slung from your shoulder or a 1911 on your hip would gather quite a bit of unwanted attention, but that is only relevant if there are others around. IMO the 1911 is going to be more comfortable to carry for such a long time (not having to readjust the sling every 5 minutes).
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#7]
key words, in the wild. no reason not to have it in my hands.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:10:17 PM EDT
[#8]
All of the above!

Except knives only and no weapons . . .

. . . banana hammock stays.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:07:05 PM EDT
[#9]
You did not say way,I was in the wilds for 72 hours.
Hurricane Katrina! What ever I would be carring would be concealed.
Till needed. If things are going back to what we call normal.
End of the World! Way only 72 hours? Totally diffrent!

PITA45

P.S. Guess what I picked on the poll?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:37:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Given that I would want light weight, the AK would be out.  And I would want reliability, so the 1911 would be out.  Guess I would have to get my Colt 6520 and my Glock 23 out of the safe instead.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#11]
This is entirely dependent on the situation.  My goal would be to remain as "grey" and inconspicuous as possible so unless there were know threats in the AO or I was approaching an area that had elevated potential to be hostile I'd have the rifle concealed.  Prefer to keep the handgun concealed, too, but that difficult to do with a backpack on.  So, I'd likely opt for the drop leg holster.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:49:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You didn't list it as an option, but I extrapolated all the info and decided that I would carry the underfolder in the bag and have the 1911 holstered under a jacket.  If I could carry both, that's the way I would do it.  It would pretty much cover all situations you should encounter and be able to deal with.

This... 1911 offers you quick access if needed, but having the underfolder for the ride ensures you have that standoff capability should the scenerio arise. I, much like some others, think the scenerio would dictate. My response figures in that you being informed and more likely to recognize a need to get the hell out of dodge should have a jump start on most. In the ealy days of a SHTF scenerio, LEO will probably be somewhat effective or enforceable. In New Orleans during Katrina local LEO susupended the 2nd Ammendment and confiscated firearms from anyone they saw with them.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:29:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I live in the "wild" and none of those choices are ideal. A lightweight AR carbine and a Ruger Target .22 would be my choices for practical reasons. In a wilderness situation the threat from 2 leggeds is exhagerrated, and the need to hunt small game underrated.A small shotgun is also a possability...remember...if you are out in the woods and you have a firearm you can't hit a squirrel with, or a bunny...what good is it? It also has to be light enought to tote around for awhile...
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:39:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I've been setting up my BOB this week and I have hit a planning snag...

...In a WROL/Bug Out situation where you are on the move for 72 hours without provided shelter (Backpacking for 72hrs) with 3 weapons to choose from: AK Underfolder, 1911 or 380 Backup like a LCP or Bodyguard, what would you consider carrying?

Also please comment on your poll choice and say why for discussion, if you would like to.

wrol...i love all the new little things people wanna call the PAW or shtf LOL>

72 hours.

AK

glock 17( 1911's are for pretty lil fairy boys)

worl..im carrying the AK and the g17 would be on a hip or drop holster(pack depedning).

if im playing mountain man style shtf AK or 308 bolt gun ( fr8 or 98k)

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:48:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:13:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I was wondering where are choice for rubberbands and coconut shells is at???? LOL
The ? you ask is to be determained by the type of SHTF.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:26:09 AM EDT
[#17]
urban or rural?
What kind of BO situation?
What is your EDC gun?
will you be on foot or in a vehicle?

Personally, I don't go anywhere without a pistol and spare mags, so that is my standard CCW loadout.  As far as OCing a rifle?  It would have to be a pretty big civil unrest situation for me to do that in an urban or suburban environment. I'd definitely keep a carbine in my vehicle if I were driving one, however.  I prefer a low-profile to a show of force.  One man with a rifle may be a decent target for a gang of thugs or a good person to detain indefinitely if you are an authority figure.

ETA:  A pack is no place for a pistol unless it's a spare.  I often carry a pistol AND a backup just because I can...  No reason not to if it works.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:17:08 AM EDT
[#18]
As others have said, it would be very dependent on the situation.

SHTF/things go significantly south:

Bushmaster M4
Glock 17 in Drop leg holster
Glock 30 in pack
SA M1A in vehicle
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:01:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I voted "no firearm" only because my most likely bug out would be from work to home, and I work in NJ .  Having a gun in my BOB would be a one way ticket to jail on a day to day basis and my BOB is in my trunk all the time.  If I get pulled over on normal day, while going to work, I do not want to get locked up.  So I will most likely have to get by with my trusty pocket folder (knife).

stasiman
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:15:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Poll fail.

Poll needs to be more General, not w/specific weapons!

I have no 1911's or AK's.

But I would go with a 1911 concealed... If I had one! Looks like I am in the majority....
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:39:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Full size handgun that sits in my bag until I'm humping my bag then the hangun is on my person.

ETA: My plan is to have an AR also if practical.

GM
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Concealed 1911.

Packs are heavy enough as it is.  The more weight you add, the slower you move.  Also, keeping a low profile is almost always the best idea.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:36:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I carry a 1911 every day (IWB) so that's a given.. I guess if I am limited to an AK then it will be slung.. What good will it do me if I have to unpack it if I need it..
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:52:25 PM EDT
[#24]
In my AO it would have to be concealed.

If I was going to be out in my local desert, I'd want my ar15 carbine.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:08:26 PM EDT
[#25]
What's a PAW?

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:45:47 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

What's a PAW?

post apocalypse  world.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:47:09 AM EDT
[#27]
For me its situation and AO dependent...  I always open carry my 1911 when in the "woods"  SHTF or not.  Going into public and it will be concealed and most likely my smaller 9mm.  Long guns will stay packed away in the BOV & BOL etc.... unless its a true SHTF & TEOTWAWKI situation.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#28]
In a 'no shit' PAW, I would most definately be slinging my AR.  For a SHTF scenario that goes down while I'm away from home, I will more than likely be packing my Beretta 380 (as this is the pistol that's packed in my GHB).
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:36:48 PM EDT
[#29]
D) Not enough info.  Very much dependent on where you are and what you expect to come across.  

For those of you advocating IWB, waist band and especially drop leg holsters you might want to actually try them with your pack on.  The first two may work with your pack if it's a small one and equipped with a waist strap instead of an actual hip belt, but a proper backpack that utilizes the hip belt to carry the load will put that load on top of your sidearm since it's designed to put the weight on your hip bones.  Most drop leg holsters aren't designed for actual hiking and tend to move around too much including having the top thigh strap ride up and cause chaffing issues (which often leads to fungal infections).  A holster of some sort that's affixed to the hip belt/waist strap, a shoulder type holster, chest holster (ex. Hill People) or a fanny pack is probably a better idea and much more comfortable.  Just a suggestion...
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#30]
If there's absolutely no LEAs left standing, then I'm concealing my glock, and slinging my AR and wearing a jacket to conceal the rifle.  If there's enough advance notice, then my ARs with earn a third hole.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:34:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Sharp stick. I mean a real sharp ass stick. Like the kind of stick that guys with Barrett 50 cals look at and say "F that. There are easier targets like that tank column."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top