Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2007 10:25:51 AM EDT
I have a wife and two younger kids to think about.  Anyone put together a BOB with their kids in mind?  My BOB is a bug out pack(s) (wife has one).  I would love to see what you guy have.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#1]
BOB for kids?  they eat the same food you do right?
what are you looking for?  tactical coloring books?

seriously.  pack something they would like that would give them comfort.
their teddy or the blanket will go a lot further to put them at ease in a scary situation than some survival junk.

ed to say make up an "ID" for them.  if they get separated from you.  they need a laminated card with their picture and stats on one side and you and your wife's drivers license and picks on the back plus cell phone etc.    
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:11:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
BOB for kids?  they eat the same food you do right?
what are you looking for?  tactical coloring books?

seriously.  pack something they would like that would give them comfort.
their teddy or the blanket will go a lot further to put them at ease in a scary situation than some survival junk.

ed to say make up an "ID" for them.  if they get separated from you.  they need a laminated card with their picture and stats on one side and you and your wife's drivers license and picks on the back plus cell phone etc.    

I knew that I was going to get the coloring book remark.  I just thought that maybe someone had a good idea that I have not thought of yet.  "ID card" being one good example.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:56:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:08:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Comfort items for the kids are essential.

Laminated family photo for reassurance.

Contact info for relatives if the child is found separate from family (not just Mom & Dad, who can be reached?  Grandma out of state?) .

Food that they can open and eat by themselves.  (Think 5-year old & 8-year old.)  Cereal bars, bags of trail mix, bottles of water with the tamper evident ring broken free.

We have a small LED light and an emergency whistle secured by lanyard to the kid's packs. Dropped does not equal lost. (Spares loose inside as well)  As long as they can find their pack, they should be able to find a whistle & light.  Three long blasts on the whistle if they need help for any reason.  

When camping, we have taken hikes with the packs and had the kids eat out of them and quiz them on what to do in different situations.  Trying to reduce the shock & fear of a situation by having them think about it before-hand.

Saw a video which showed a kid's survival vest a woman sewed up from a hunters orange vest.  When camping, very visible and had essentials with the kids at all times.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 1:09:12 PM EDT
[#5]
If you where a member I'd tell you to look in the archive for a post from Rock6 around 5/06.

Here it is
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:04:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you where a member I'd tell you to look in the archive for a post from Rock6 around 5/06.

Here it is

Fixed the link for ya.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here it is

Fixed the link for ya.

Why thank you kind Sir.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:25:30 PM EDT
[#9]
All good points below...

Quoted:
Comfort items for the kids are essential.

Laminated family photo for reassurance.

Contact info for relatives if the child is found separate from family (not just Mom & Dad, who can be reached?  Grandma out of state?) .

Food that they can open and eat by themselves.  (Think 5-year old & 8-year old.)  Cereal bars, bags of trail mix, bottles of water with the tamper evident ring broken free.

We have a small LED light and an emergency whistle secured by lanyard to the kid's packs. Dropped does not equal lost. (Spares loose inside as well)  As long as they can find their pack, they should be able to find a whistle & light.  Three long blasts on the whistle if they need help for any reason.  

When camping, we have taken hikes with the packs and had the kids eat out of them and quiz them on what to do in different situations.  Trying to reduce the shock & fear of a situation by having them think about it before-hand.

Saw a video which showed a kid's survival vest a woman sewed up from a hunters orange vest.  When camping, very visible and had essentials with the kids at all times.  

I would add that an extra pair pants and socks, as kids tend to either rip/or get wet or muddy their stuff in ways adults would never think of.

And I know folks are gonna cringe when I say this... "fun" band aids make the bumps and bruises less painful for the wee people. They see a cartoon character on a band aid, they are in less pain. [goes to the psychological issue of pain to a child]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top