Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2012 6:39:46 PM EDT
It's taken me years to get to a point where I truly understand the value and application of each.
Still, I struggle with what tools, supplies, etc I want for each.

My BOB is more geared toward 'I'm leaving and not coming back, ever'
The overnight bag stays in my vehicle at all time and has the usual stuff...change of clothes, toiletries, etc.
The "Go" bag is much of the same, but with some survival type gear, some cash, and enough of what I need to get by for a few days.

They all have their place, but I am always rethinking based on life experience.

Curious to know how other folks have varied their preps for short-term, mid-term, and long-term situations.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:09:11 AM EDT
[#1]
truck kit is basic bs to get who ever is init home, or keep alive or give some basic comforts till help comes.

ghb- bare bones get me home, and to supplement the truck kit. Mostly survival gear,water ,filter and sheleter and minimal food with weapon support. its a cbak mule.

BOB- this is for extended trips, or grab and go, mostly 3-5 days.

long term...i bought a rural home..if i bug out its cuz zombies or red dawn and my load out will be much different

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:57:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I need to put my bug-out-bag together again.  Currently, it’s really been my recreational backpacking setup, but even that is set up for 3-5 days depending on the amount of food I have in it.

My get-home bag is exactly what Protus mentioned.  It’s more weather oriented with clothing and good boots if I’m forced to ditch my truck.  Add a little food, water, ammo for the pistol, sil-tarp for shelter and basic survival kit.  Honestly, it’s only 25 miles from work to the house and the route is along a back-country road in mostly wooded rural area.

For me, a go-bag is more combat-oriented; basic essentials, ammo, water, IFAK.  I have other kits for different activities, but all are staged at home.

I do need to beef up my get-home kit as I’ll be attending a military school that’s about 550 miles from home for a few weeks.  I’m driving up, so that will give me more options, but that’s a significant distance to consider if on foot.  I’m bringing my mountain bike, so that’s another option in the kit-bag.  I really think how you define your circumstances and requirements are more important than the names of the load-outs.  It’s still good to review and inquire as to what others are using, but ultimately, you need to know your most probable scenarios, skill-level, physical capabilities and plan accordingly.  A simple “go-bag” that is always in reach is better than mega bug-out-bags stored in the closet at home.  

Outside of a zombie-apocalypse, most scenarios won’t last more than 72 hours unless it’s a massive regional disaster like Sandy.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:26:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I only have a "get us home" bag...  If there is ever a situation, bugging out for us, will actually be bugging in. Mid and long term will be handled from home.

4 rifle mags, 4 handgun mags, a stocked first aid kit, pair of gloves, two bottles of water, roll of 100MPH tape, 20' 550 cord, an M9 bayonet (more for chopping), a spare (sharp) pocket knife, extra battery for my cel phone, and a flint stick fire starter- plus a few other small odds and ends. I don't typically hump food or anything else I don't "need" to make the 15 mile trip home.

I will and do pack heavy if there is a need... say 100 miles from home, on vacation, in the winter time.

And it goes in this...

Easily holds my every day stuff, with plenty of room for anything else I might need to throw in there as needed.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I had not considered the concept of a "get home" bag...good food for thought regarding what I keep where.
The things I would need to get home wind up being a subset of what i keep in my overnight bag, so I may retool the design and just go light.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top