Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2011 3:24:32 PM EDT
Need some help and/or ideas, guys.  I'm looking to put together a large, but discreet, BOB.  Two requirements I seek:

1-one compartment large enough to hold a broken down 16" AR, mags, and approximately 2500ci of other compartments sufficient to hold  usual BOB/GHB gear.  That means a main compartment at least 26".

2-No black, od/green, coyote/desert tan, or camo of any color.  No MOLLE.  Doesn't scream 'tactical' or 'gun inside'.

Essentially, I'm looking for a discreet BOB that I can have at the ready with everything I need in one bag; grab and run.  Does such a thing exist?
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#1]
"2-No black, od/green, coyote/desert tan, or camo of any color. No MOLLE. Doesn't scream 'tactical' or 'gun inside'. "

So that leaves pink, purple, yellow, orange, etc as your color choices. What color are you looking for?
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
"2-No black, od/green, coyote/desert tan, or camo of any color. No MOLLE. Doesn't scream 'tactical' or 'gun inside'. "

So that leaves pink, purple, yellow, orange, etc as your color choices. What color are you looking for?

I'm looking for a nice shade of discreet.  Heres some offerings from Castle Rock Tactical for their discreet AR breakdown case; pick a color.  Now, know of anything that meets my other requirements?

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:59:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Well since everybody seems to need descreet these days hows about a large black/ or grey contractor grade GARBAGE bag??  Nobody will ever think two shits about that.........
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:00:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe go check out REI.

Ya know, a 26" tall bag stuffed full of stuff will never look discreet, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. It'd probably be more eye catching if it was red/orange/purple etc. Not to mention if you gotta grab it and run, aesthetics should be your last thought.

If you wear it in public, people will notice regardless of color. If you wear it in the woods etc, people will be more likely to see it if its not black/tan/coyote/OD/etc.

Just my 2 cents, good luck.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:36:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks zegermanznew.

When I say discreet, I mean more to look like a backpacker, tourist, or average unarmed schmoe.  I'm well aware a big pack is going to look like a big pack, but I'm on the east coast between two large cities and want to be able to blend in with the masses until I'm far enough away.  If you walk around a major city, you'll probably see more packs in orange, blue or red than camo or the usual tacticool colors.  

Thanks for the tip on rei; I'll check them out.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#6]
No problem, Eastern Mountain Sports MIGHT have something too. I caps might because  I haven't been in one forever and don't know if they carry bags in their stores.

Good luck in your search and let us know what you turn up.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#7]
The Kelty Red Cloud 90 looks like it would be long enough, if you don't mind the rifle in the same compartment as your other stuff.  Many internal frame packs would fulfill the same idea, IMO.

http://www.granitegearstore.com/Nimbus-Core-P227C49.aspx This also looks interesting.  I'm not sure if you could fit an AR in the side pockets, but the center should provide plenty of options.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:06:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Something as big as you envision does not seem to me to blend in real well at all. It is larger enough that the size alone attracts attention.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 2:16:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Get one of those baseball gear bags with shoulder straps.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 12:13:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a similar thread earlier this month, but it was more of an everday-use bag first, then a BOB second.   I am currently using a Maxpedition Condor II.   Is a great pack, super sturdy, but does not come in any colors that are blendable with every day life.  It is also not large enough to carry my laptop and extra gear all together with books, as was my old Swiss Army pack it replaced.

Today I was at the store looking at Kelty packs.  They might meet your criterdia.  The Redwing 50 is pretty large, has good pockets and an internal frame, but the material is not nearly as tough as the Maxpeditions.   The other Kelty mentioned, the Red Cloud, is taller and might fit your stuff better.    Worth checking out anyway.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:54:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Kelty

I'm seriously considering one of those. I looked at one two weeks ago and it looked like a good pack for a BOB. It's discreet but the Cypress color is still low key enough to use with camo.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 3:53:03 PM EDT
[#13]
GYM bag constructed with quality hardware and stiching.

Or one of these maybe??? Rifle bag maybe you can order it in a different color?

Maybe one of these but they come on black only AWS

If you want total low pro I think a gym bag with a pull out insert and a smaller pack or bandolier inside is the way to go. Any way you go I think you will have to 1) buy a general bag and modify to your needs or 2) have one constructed to your specs.

I have a gym bag I plan to use for the very purpose you describe but inside I plan on having two smaller bags. One being a backpack and one a smaller GYM bag. Using the outside pockets on the big main bag for storage of items like my pistol, mags, ammo, holster, cash, surefire, folding knife etc. Once I start a movement during a SHTF event I plan on arming myself CCW and if need be I can take out the backpack wear it and use the smaller bag to hide my KISS AR and MAGS. The back pack is were I plan on having my support gear like food, comms etc.

The pack within a pack concept I think will aid also in camoflauge not only in the aspect of hiding a big ass gym bag, but as you may be able to put a extra shirt and hat in it. Just make sure you take out the bottom cardboard insert of most GYM bags so you can compact it into the backpack.

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 7:51:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the help, guys.  Some really good ideas here.  The Hawkepacks bag looks like it might fit the bill, and doesnt look so 'tactical' as to attract attention.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top