Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2014 12:04:34 PM EDT
Would you guys choose an original Kel-Tec Sub 9mm (metal model) and 4 30rd mags or a Norinco underfolder AK with MI rail, Magpul grip and 3 mags for your BOB?

Edit: it's a .223 Norinco.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:23:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd choose the one which will hold 2 MOA @ 100 yards.

If you intend to hunt with it.

There are tons of inexpensive rifles which will do that.  As a backpacking hunter, I can't live w/ less accuracy than that.
If it's a people shooter, I can't help you.  I don't hunt them
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#2]
What's the intended purpose - self defense and/or hunting?  

Are you urban, suburban or rural?

If you cc what caliber?

Where are you bugging out to (e.g., BOL or getting back home)?  

How far do you have to travel?  Through what types of areas?

What is your mode of bugging out (e.g., walking or mechanized)?

All the above will factor in to your decision of what to carry.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:25:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd choose the one which will hold 2 MOA @ 100 yards.

If you intend to hunt with it.

There are tons of inexpensive rifles which will do that.  As a backpacking hunter, I can't live w/ less accuracy than that.
If it's a people shooter, I can't help you.  I don't hunt them
View Quote

So, what would be your backpacking rifle of choice?
I guess it depends on the season, so lets say white tail deer.
I am casually looking for an accurate, light, reliable and relatively inexpensive lever or bolt action rifle..
Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Ruger American compact, 300 ish bucks, optic, and in .308 it would be plenty accurate, 6.5 lbs.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:26:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I think a lot of it depends on whether you're trying to be The Road Warrior, or just want something to pop an occasional meal and still keep yourself safe.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:34:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Guys let me clarify and I apologize for being vague.  This is a half BOB and half Get home bag.  It's for my car to either get home to my arsenal and pack up or if shit really hits the fan, run.  I have a hammock, and full BOB type stuff.  I am worried about it getting stolen as it will stay in my trunk (slim chance, alarm, real trunk, and either a work parking garage or my garage).  There is a gun that's also a "short" third option. My VZ-58 side folder, which is light and will fit in my bag.  So really it's a get home bag unless that's not an option, then it's a BOB and this will be my only gun..
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:56:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Keep the VZ. They are great guns and are accurate enough. The vz is also nice and light. Just my humble opinion.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:06:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm keeping them all in my collection.  Just wondering which one to leave in my trunk bag.. I have to balance size, function, value, weight etc.  I have 3 .223 Norinco's, 1 Sub-9 Kel-Tec and 1 VZ-58...
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I keep a kel tec in mine.  Works with my pistol mags and folds up small enough for my bag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top