Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2012 7:50:02 PM EDT
I havent fired a shot...of any kind, in months. I'm psyched!

I've never loaded 600 rounds into mags all at once. My Lula Loader definitely just paid for itself.

Improvised "GoPro" head mounted video camera. Fumbled through my drawer full of parts. Found a PVS-14 "J-Arm" for mounting a PVS-14 on a weapon. Makes a perfect mount for a camera onto the picatinny rail of my helmet. The stud for mounting the PVS is the same as a std camera tripod mount that was on my point-and-shoot digital camera, so everthing just bolted right up. It takes video too like most cameras these days. It takes only a couple seconds to put on/off with the big thumb screws.  You could mount it to a gun too with this if you wanted.

I debated what gun to take. 6.8 is just too expensive to send 500 pieces of brass out into space....same for the .308. I'm taking a 20" ARP 5.56 upper I built with a mega upper receiver. I have a similar build of a 16" but the 20" isnt really noticeably heavier and just points really well shooting offhand accurately...the extra 150 FPS cant hurt either. I put the upper on a Noveske lower that has a Geissele trigger in it and threw and EOTech on there. I threw a vertical grip on there too. I dont use them that much, but I do like them shooting offhand, and this will be all offhand.

I put an AAC break mount on there since needing quick followup shots will be a given. A .223 with a break has almost zero recoil, so it should shoot sweet.

I loaded up 450 rounds of 5.56 with 65gr BTSP Sierra Game Kings.  I had 150 rounds of Hornady Steel match with the Hornady 75gr BTHP bullet.  I threw a few clips of 55gr FMJ in there just in case.

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 2:23:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a fun time.  Looking forward to the AAR.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 2:34:45 AM EDT
[#2]
awesome!

look forward to the results of the 65gr's and the video!

btw, what something like this cost to get in on? and how many people will they bring up?
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 3:34:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a great time, be sure to charge up the Go-Pro so you don't lose out on the video!

Have fun and be safe!
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 4:20:58 AM EDT
[#4]
What, no door mount?!

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 4:32:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Location? Price?

TRG
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#6]
"I loaded up 450 rounds of 5.56 with 65gr BTSP Sierra Game Kings. I had 150 rounds of Hornady Steel match with the Hornady 75gr BTHP bullet. I threw a few clips of 55gr FMJ in there just in case."

Inn for the post-hunt discussion comparing the effectiveness of the loads.
Please also estimate the average distance of shots taken.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok it's the day of the massacre!  whats the outcome??  We are waiting, Rather impatiently. After seeing the Nuge and Pig Man do it looks like a ton of fun.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 2:56:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

"I loaded up 450 rounds of 5.56 with 65gr BTSP Sierra Game Kings. I had 150 rounds of Hornady Steel match with the Hornady 75gr BTHP bullet. I threw a few clips of 55gr FMJ in there just in case."

Inn for the post-hunt discussion comparing the effectiveness of the loads.

Please also estimate the average distance of shots taken.

Thanks.

Somehow I doubt there will be detailed post-mortem comparative wound evaluations.

Link Posted: 10/26/2012 3:15:29 AM EDT
[#9]
You guys in Texas have all the fun!
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 7:00:56 PM EDT
[#10]
That sounds like so much fun...
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 7:54:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Did he fo or no?
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 8:35:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I heard the pigs will drag their own dead away so it's hard to get an accurate body count.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#13]
is he dead?
I've been wanting to hear about this for weeks.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 4:48:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Usage Statistics
Posts Per Day:
Last Login Date:
10/27/2012 10:39:40 PM CST
Last Post Date:
10/24/2012 10:50:04 PM CST

RIP?
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Maybe he got out of the boat...
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:55:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Poor guy, hate to hear it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:01:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Maybe he is saving Post 556 for an epic account of the trip, with professionally produced video.
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 9:00:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Hi guys,

Sorry for the very tardy followup.

The helo hunt was a hell of an experience. I wasnt sure what to expect. I'd never even been in a helicopter before much less hanging out of one with no door making crazy maneuvers.

It was a blast! On the way out it didnt seem like we were going very fast, but the wind drag on my barrel (which we kept out the window at all times) told me otherwise. I asked the pilot and he said we were doing about 125mph air speed. That really surprised me.

It was a hoot. Never got scared or nervous at all. At one point after some wild maneuvering, one of the outfitters that was riding along started getting sick and we had to touch down for a bit. He looked green. I took out a can of snuff, got a dip, then and asked him if he wanted one. He didnt think it was very funny LOL.

We didnt find as many groups of hogs as I had hoped, but it was still a great experience. The good news is that even though we only found two groups, One of eight and one of six, I got all 14 of them.

I was really worried about how my shooting skill would hold up. Shooting something moving while I'm moving too isnt something that I've done since my teenage years blasting out of the back of a truck. The pilot was very skilled. He worked the pigs toward open areas before I cut loose, then he would fly sideways chasing them so I had a clear view.

The first group of 8 were all largish mature pigs. The field the pilot drove them into was pretty open so they were running in a pretty straight line. I ended up with a 15 rounds left in the 30 rnd mag when they were done for. The pilot said he was impressed and I was feeling great.

The next group of six were smaller, prob 30-40 lbs. The area looked open, but the grass was tall enough that they were having to dart left and right to go around things. Speedy small pigs juking around definitely made things a lot harder. I managed to get all six with a few rounds to spare in the mag, but hitting them was a lot harder.

The 65gr Sierra load seemed very effective.  Ass shots usually stopped the back end from functioning anymore.  Most of the shots were running away.   Followup shots in the head/shoulder region put the down very well.

The video didn't work out well.  The camera didn't like recoil.  It went blank for a while every time I pulled the trigger.

Overall it was a very cool highly recommended experience.
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 9:24:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Very cool
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Dam that sounds fun.
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 12:50:14 PM EDT
[#21]
That's actually some pretty darned good shooting.

Link Posted: 2/4/2013 1:41:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for getting back to the thread, too bad about the video.
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 5:35:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The video didn't work out well.  The camera didn't like recoil.  It went blank for a while every time I pulled the trigger.

So Basically the video was blank  Sure you pulled that trigger a LOT.  Still 8 down with 15 left in the mag that's pretty darn good.  Not even 2 rounds per.  Too bad it was not as productive as the Nug and The Pigman.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 8:02:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Hi guys,

Sorry for the very tardy followup.

The helo hunt was a hell of an experience. I wasnt sure what to expect. I'd never even been in a helicopter before much less hanging out of one with no door making crazy maneuvers.

It was a blast! On the way out it didnt seem like we were going very fast, but the wind drag on my barrel (which we kept out the window at all times) told me otherwise. I asked the pilot and he said we were doing about 125mph air speed. That really surprised me.

It was a hoot. Never got scared or nervous at all. At one point after some wild maneuvering, one of the outfitters that was riding along started getting sick and we had to touch down for a bit. He looked green. I took out a can of snuff, got a dip, then and asked him if he wanted one. He didnt think it was very funny LOL.

We didnt find as many groups of hogs as I had hoped, but it was still a great experience. The good news is that even though we only found two groups, One of eight and one of six, I got all 14 of them.

I was really worried about how my shooting skill would hold up. Shooting something moving while I'm moving too isnt something that I've done since my teenage years blasting out of the back of a truck. The pilot was very skilled. He worked the pigs toward open areas before I cut loose, then he would fly sideways chasing them so I had a clear view.

The first group of 8 were all largish mature pigs. The field the pilot drove them into was pretty open so they were running in a pretty straight line. I ended up with a 15 rounds left in the 30 rnd mag when they were done for. The pilot said he was impressed and I was feeling great.

The next group of six were smaller, prob 30-40 lbs. The area looked open, but the grass was tall enough that they were having to dart left and right to go around things. Speedy small pigs juking around definitely made things a lot harder. I managed to get all six with a few rounds to spare in the mag, but hitting them was a lot harder.

The 65gr Sierra load seemed very effective.  Ass shots usually stopped the back end from functioning anymore.  Most of the shots were running away.   Followup shots in the head/shoulder region put the down very well.

Overall it was a very cool highly recommended experience.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                           enjoyed the reading,    very impressive, most people don't realize just how hard it is trying ta hit a running target, let alone while your moving also..  had a hog jump from it's bed at about 20 yrds of so run to me left, twas using them thar 55 gr fmj fired a round in at the boiler room, know my limitations, it bigger than the small little sweat spot of a hog's brain..  shot was a little farther back, but good enough for me ta ease up along side an put the final round in the ol boiler.. after hog twas down, noticed the .223  fmj left hardly any sign of a hit even in the snow, tis why got me some hp's the bullets with holes in de point's.. figured may give better trail...  

Link Posted: 2/5/2013 9:03:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice going.

The 65gn Sierra Gamekings rock.

I use them pigs, goats and fallow deer.
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 9:47:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I went helicopter hunting once...after I downed the first one they wouldn't let me have a gun anymore
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 6:52:00 AM EDT
[#27]
that thar reminds me of the knife fight got in with a hog... even the dead one's can hurt ya.. i use an AR now..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top