Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/25/2014 10:08:47 PM EDT
Anyone used a DVRPTR? How is the quality? Any difficulties?

I was looking at the DVAP but this is about $150 less expensive.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:41:06 AM EDT
I have one, I've been using it as a DPlus AP and DCS AP, in standalone mode. GCW gave it to me. I got a new screen for it, and it works fine, I just need to put a speaker in it, right now I use headphones with it.

I'm still trying to get it to work correctly with traditional D-STAR repeaters/reflectors. There's a guy local to me who is going to help me with it, then I'm going to document the shit out of it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:25:21 PM EDT
Thanks! What is required to run it besides the board itself?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:21:54 PM EDT
12v 1A (probably overkill) power supply, windows computer to configure it, ethernet link to internet, speaker, and a radio microphone.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:18:33 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By awptickes:
12v 1A (probably overkill) power supply, windows computer to configure it, ethernet link to internet, speaker, and a radio microphone.
View Quote

Ahh.

I was wondering about the apparent lack of an antenna connection. There's no radio receiver on the board, right?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:08:55 PM EDT
Tag for further respect new. I have the V1 board and know w a rice, the guy who revived the project.

Awptickes-you have the V2 that I have to GCW-neither of us could get it to work.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:59:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By echomancer:
Tag for further respect new. I have the V1 board and know w a rice, the guy who revived the project.

Awptickes-you have the V2 that I have to GCW-neither of us could get it to work.
View Quote

I got it to work with DCS and CCS. Made a couple of QSOs with it. I still haven't figured out the DPlus or D-star side of it. Someday...
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:26:33 AM EDT
Are you registered with the D*Star network?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:38:37 AM EDT
Originally Posted By MCSquared:

View Quote

This is a different animal than the DVAP all together. Intact, this device is really only about half of a DVAP. A DVAP is a GMSK modem and a low power radio transceiver. The DVRPTR is a GMSK modem only.

The DVRPTR translates non discriminated "data audio" from a radio's packet port to DStar data packets that get fed in to a computer to be sent along their merry way over the internet through the use of software. The mini-din port connects to the radio and the micro USB connects to the computer.

On the computer side, you have a lot of flexible options - you can use a laptop, an old desktop, or even a Raspberry Pi! For software, there are two prevailing options - There is the Windows only DVRPTR software which is available or you can use the command line tools (available for multiple platform) using the pcrepeatercontroller software. If interested, let me know and I can post links to the appropriate Yahoo! groups. The Raspberry Pi option is great because there are images you can download and place on an SD Card that already come configured - you just run a setup utility and answer questions like call sign and what hardware you are connecting to.

Lots of folks will use these boards to connect to an old radio with a 9k6 packet port to serve as the transceiver. You can also purchase dedicated data radios from companies like Argent Data Systems (they sell a 5 watt radio, an 850mw radio and a 500mw radio). Maldol used to make data radios as well, but generally, for something that will be run a lot, a good 2m/70cm radio capable of running at a high duty cycle is best.

So, the DVAP is cool, because it's small, all in one, completely bus powered, and has software that runs on most platforms. The DVRPTR option gives you more flexibility and can be used to build a legit high powered hot spot using any equipment you want.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:14:32 PM EDT

This is a different animal than the DVAP all together. Intact, this device is really only about half of a DVAP. A DVAP is a GMSK modem and a low power radio transceiver. The DVRPTR is a GMSK modem only.

The DVRPTR translates non discriminated "data audio" from a radio's packet port to DStar data packets that get fed in to a computer to be sent along their merry way over the internet through the use of software. The mini-din port connects to the radio and the micro USB connects to the computer.

On the computer side, you have a lot of flexible options - you can use a laptop, an old desktop, or even a Raspberry Pi! For software, there are two prevailing options - There is the Windows only DVRPTR software which is available or you can use the command line tools (available for multiple platform) using the pcrepeatercontroller software. If interested, let me know and I can post links to the appropriate Yahoo! groups. The Raspberry Pi option is great because there are images you can download and place on an SD Card that already come configured - you just run a setup utility and answer questions like call sign and what hardware you are connecting to.

Lots of folks will use these boards to connect to an old radio with a 9k6 packet port to serve as the transceiver. You can also purchase dedicated data radios from companies like Argent Data Systems (they sell a 5 watt radio, an 850mw radio and a 500mw radio). Maldol used to make data radios as well, but generally, for something that will be run a lot, a good 2m/70cm radio capable of running at a high duty cycle is best.

So, the DVAP is cool, because it's small, all in one, completely bus powered, and has software that runs on most platforms. The DVRPTR option gives you more flexibility and can be used to build a legit high powered hot spot using any equipment you want.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MCSquared:

Thank you. I was trying to figure out what I was looking at.
Top Top