Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2011 4:06:58 PM EDT
I saved some seeds from a store bought cantaloupe. Thinking of planting them next year. They are probably hybrids. Anyone tried?
Link Posted: 6/7/2011 4:20:17 PM EDT
I picked a few seeds from a butternut squash out of the trash after the wife cut one up, & threw them in the flower bed. 6-7 plants growing from about that many seeds. Flowers but no squash yet.
Link Posted: 6/7/2011 4:23:16 PM EDT
I have sweet peppers and bell peppers growing from store bought seeds now. They're only 6" tall so I have two months Togo till I see if they're going to produce. So far they look great.
Link Posted: 6/7/2011 4:52:38 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Eastwood123:
I saved some seeds from a store bought cantaloupe. Thinking of planting them next year. They are probably hybrids. Anyone tried?

I have. They grow and produce, but not at the quality of a hybrid packaged seed. I've gotten some small lopes from my seeds that grew from my compost pile. They were good, but much smaller than store (and they grew from the compost pile so had lots of organic good stuff).
Link Posted: 6/7/2011 5:50:45 PM EDT
The problem is that they are most likely hybrids and the seed will never be like the parent
Link Posted: 6/7/2011 5:56:02 PM EDT
Hybrid seeds will no grow well
Link Posted: 6/7/2011 6:03:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By CRC:

That's not necessarily true. You just can't be sure how well they'll grow, or what the fruit will be like once it matures. We've grown seeds from store bought honey dew and watermelon before with good results. I say give it a try and see what you get. Might want to also plant some known quality seeds too though, just in case.
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 7:56:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Corporal_Chaos:
Originally Posted By CRC:

That's not necessarily true. You just can't be sure how well they'll grow, or what the fruit will be like once it matures. We've grown seeds from store bought honey dew and watermelon before with good results. I say give it a try and see what you get. Might want to also plant some known quality seeds too though, just in case.

+1

Also you can look at the fruit and let the best looking go to seed and not replant the seeds from the weaker fruit. You have to keep in mind most plants were considered hybrid at one time in history.

My $.02, Be well
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 12:15:04 PM EDT
I've gotten some nice sized garlic from store stuff . I planted cloves from Save-a-lot. I also get lots of free-be plants from the compost pile. A lot of my produce is from local farmers markets and my own garden. I understand some stuff from the store is treated with antisprouting (potatoes) and some of it is sterile hybrid. It's totally worth looking into. How great to get a meal and a renewable source of food out of one purchase! It's a great way to get food you eat!
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 12:28:46 PM EDT
I've done it with organic garlic and potatoes with success
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:17:56 PM EDT
I just got an avacado to sprout a few months ago(about the middle of June). Sucker is about 18" high now. Alos got some serrano peppers grwing. Funny because I found this dried-up pepper in my crisper and just slit it in half and buried it in about 1" of dirt in a pot and now i've got a whole bunch of plants.
Top Top