Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2015 12:54:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:57:40 PM EDT
[#1]

25 to 30 years ago I built one of these to drain 55 gallon drums of gasoline.  I was always worried that the pressure relief valve would fail over pressurizing the drum and causing a seam burst, which I have seen those valves fail on air tanks before.  So I removed the pressure relief valve and put in a gauge and a hand operated valve to relieve pressure.  That guaranteed that I couldn't just "walk away" and leave the system on its own.  Another layer of security.

It takes very low pressure to move the liquid out of the container.  As I remember it was less than 5 pounds, but don't trust me on that, it was a long time ago.

I am going to build one of these for my cans just like I built the other one, and you can bet your sweet ass I won't trust some spring loaded valve to control the pressure.  It will have a hand operated valve and gauge.

I might just buy one of these and modify it, which would be very easy to do.

Thanks for the video.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:51:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting, but I think a super siphon would be quicker considering the set-up needed, and less failure prone.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:21:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting, but I think a super siphon would be quicker considering the set-up needed, and less failure prone.
View Quote

I agree with you on simplicity, but the SS won't siphon "uphill" and since I had my back injury, I can't pick up 40 pound jerry cans anymore to fill the genny and the cars.  Sooo, I need a pumping solution, preferably manual that won't take a forever of pumping.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 5:52:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I agree with you on simplicity, but the SS won't siphon "uphill" and since I had my back injury, I can't pick up 40 pound jerry cans anymore to fill the genny and the cars.  Sooo, I need a pumping solution, preferably manual that won't take a forever of pumping.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your solution is complex and a bit awkward, but if the situation dictates, I don't see anything wrong with it.

I'd keep the safety popoff valve as a backup tho...

The pressure required to move the fuel is simply the weight of the fuel in one cubic inch times the head, or something like that.

The pressure relief valve shouldn't be cal for more than a couple pounds or you risk serious issues.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:39:06 AM EDT
[#5]
D
Quoted:

Your solution is complex and a bit awkward, but if the situation dictates, I don't see anything wrong with it.

The pressure required to move the fuel is simply the weight of the fuel in one cubic inch times the head, or something like that.

The pressure relief valve shouldn't be cal for more than a couple pounds or you risk serious issues.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm hoping for a simpler solution to be suggested by someone.  I can't find any decent kind of manual fuel transfer pumps.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:35:18 AM EDT
[#6]
A simpler solution could be to tip the fuel can -without lifting it...

And pour a gallon or two of its contents into a smaller container.

Then use a funnel to help move the contents to the vehicle or where it's needed.

It'll take longer, the advantage is you won't need a compressor and you won't be mixing fuel and air that could be dangerous if some static electricity gets into it.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:40:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Here.

Now go shopping.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:23:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I've made all my large gas storage pressurized.

You can add a tire valve to almost anything and hit it with compressed air/co2/propane.

I use SS beer kegs and they have gravity feed but I can hit them with air if needed.

I also made a air chuck that fits on 1lb propane bottles. When I store gas I can store it under propane pressure- or make winter gas

here is a old keg I made into a weed sprayer. just dril/thread add a tire valve. This is what you could do with the standard donkey dick. add a scavenge tube to drain form the bottom, then add a tire valve.

here is a plain keg. It sits on its side but you can see I have added a drainport as well as a air inlet. You can pop off the sanitary fitting, and add the dispense setup. With a 2" sanitary fitting with viton O ring you can store gas and stack the kegs. The kegs are pressure rated to 150 PSI.  Copper pieces were bought by the pound form a closeout

two kegs welded together. You can see a small tire valve at the top. This holds 30 gallons but is a PITA to move w/o a dolly.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've made all my large gas storage pressurized.

You can add a tire valve to almost anything and hit it with compressed air/co2/propane.

I use SS beer kegs and they have gravity feed but I can hit them with air if needed.

I also made a air chuck that fits on 1lb propane bottles. When I store gas I can store it under propane pressure- or make winter gas

here is a old keg I made into a weed sprayer. just dril/thread add a tire valve. This is what you could do with the standard donkey dick. add a scavenge tube to drain form the bottom, then add a tire valve.

<a href="http://s42.photobucket.com/user/taylorwso/media/20150830_081035_zpswek6i9ky.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e303/taylorwso/20150830_081035_zpswek6i9ky.jpg</a>

here is a plain keg. It sits on its side but you can see I have added a drainport as well as a air inlet. You can pop off the sanitary fitting, and add the dispense setup. With a 2" sanitary fitting with viton O ring you can store gas and stack the kegs. The kegs are pressure rated to 150 PSI.  Copper pieces were bought by the pound form a closeout

<a href="http://s42.photobucket.com/user/taylorwso/media/20150830_081027_zpsmv3rjtfo.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e303/taylorwso/20150830_081027_zpsmv3rjtfo.jpg</a>

two kegs welded together. You can see a small tire valve at the top. This holds 30 gallons but is a PITA to move w/o a dolly.

<a href="http://s42.photobucket.com/user/taylorwso/media/20130606_073956_zps8agntx2y.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e303/taylorwso/20130606_073956_zps8agntx2y.jpg</a>

View Quote

Interesting

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#10]
OP, you can do what my SO des all the time to fill the her Honda 2000 at the trailer, ATV, etc...

This. Available for a couple dollars anywhere.

We also use these to start siphoning water from military water cans to replenish our under container water supply tank.

If the level of the MFC is greater than the exit tube, then siphon action will occur.

We also use a John Guest type quick connect, available at any HW store to connect to either end of the pump.

Also, you can slip certain sizes of vinyl tubing one either end, to extend pickup length or to couple to another system.

These work fantastic for the price.

And there is one with battery power... That will pump UPHILL...  

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:03:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh heck, Granville King showed that off thirty or so years ago.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:36:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

<snip>

These work fantastic for the price.

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/013204/013204000103lg.jpg

<snip>

View Quote

This...  These work great and only cost a couple bucks.  Can be found at Wal-Mart or most box stores.  I am still using one I got several years ago.  Sits in my shed through hot and cold temps.  Always works well and if it doesn't it only cost a couple bucks.  I always keep a new spare on hand.

Great for end of season snowmobile/ tiller/ lawn mower/ tank draining to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top