Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2008 9:14:43 AM EDT
Thinking of picking up a kayak for some backcountry flyfishing adventures. I'm wondering how the logistics have worked for some people who've tried it. Worth it, or should I stick to my canoe?
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:10:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 12:19:04 PM EDT
[#2]
stick to the canoe.....it's pretty hard to fish from a kayak unless you're talking about one of those wide ass open top ones.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
stick to the canoe.....it's pretty hard to fish from a kayak unless you're talking about one of those wide ass open top ones.

hard.....columbia shirts ,,,and chest rigs( yes they make them for flyfishing and have since,,,well ever) ;p

kep your gear up high,, and get a net and have fun...

my complaint was winging a 9wt outta  canoe at redfish on flats.... gets kinda rocky at times
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I've done it for years with sucess.

I've just rigged up a floating flyline with an 8 ft leader attached to tow a floating Rapala along. It's tied off to my deck rigging on a quick release snap. When I see the snap bouncing in front of me, I handline my fish in on a line that won't tangle and without cutting my hands.

I cruise the rocky shorelines and can usualy tempt a few smallies for dinner at camp.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 5:55:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I fly fish from a 12 and 9 foot heritage featherlite Kayak. Great for lake or river fishing. Much more maneuvarable than a canoe. I'll never go back to a canoe.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 9:15:40 PM EDT
[#7]
They make kayaks you can stand in

Makes poling along in shallow water looking for fish easy
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 6:51:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got an Old Town Dirigo 120 , the angler model . It's a sweet kayak - check it out .

It's got a beer holder , open cockpit , tracks great and lots of storage . Plus a Scotty rod holder .
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 7:57:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Cool! Thanks, guys.

I was looking at the Pelican sit-on-top model, but was told they are a two-peice design instead of a one-peice and so they might not hold up as well to hard use. On the up side, it's a perfect OD color to match my AR and G19. Also only about $450.

I'd also duck hunt out of it, so I don't want a shiny yellow or red one. Anybody hear anything on the Pelican Castaway (?) 166?
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 3:16:41 PM EDT
[#10]
This is what I have except in a dark earth color. Which looks like they don't make anymore.

Link Posted: 4/27/2008 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I fished out of a kayak for the first time ever yesterday. Had a blast, drank a bunch of beers, and now I am looking for a kayak of my own.

ETA-I am looking at buying a couple very lightly used Necky Zoar models for half of what the guy paid for them. He paid $2300 for the pair and wants $1600, they have been used less than 6 hours each. Sucks when you have a baby and your wife makes you get rid of all your cool stuff.
Link Posted: 4/28/2008 7:11:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got a tacticool camo Old town Predator. Don't know if they still have that model but came with half skirt thingy that holds tackel(I can't spell today) rod holder and a cool little anchor that runs on a pulley to the back.

I've only fished bass and pike from mine with spinning rig but its great. A little 24inch pike will drag your ass all over.

Yep they still make it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 5:58:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've got a tacticool camo Old town Predator. Don't know if they still have that model but came with half skirt thingy that holds tackel(I can't spell today) rod holder and a cool little anchor that runs on a pulley to the back.

I've only fished bass and pike from mine with spinning rig but its great. A little 24inch pike will drag your ass all over.

Yep they still make it.

I just bought a Old Towne Predator. It's not the camo tacti-cool one- it's plain green. It's a 16'. I was looking at the camo one but, Cabela's wanted $250 more for a smaller canoe because it was camo- went across the street to Sportsman's Wharehouse and never looked back. I have been taking the wife and kid out on the Sound here in WA state. It travels well, perfectly stable, and appears to be easy to fish out of.

It's been a great little investment to get the family out. I am looking at a short move to AZ for about 5 months and the wife wants to haul it there with us for local lakes- who am I to argue
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 9:41:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I pike fish out of my 14.5 foot Carolina by Perception a fair amount.

Just got into fly fishing this year though, and I plan to try it out once I can afford my own fly gear. From what I've heard from other paddle/flyfishing junkies at Canoecopia it can be a blast.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 7:29:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
This is what I have except in a dark earth color. Which looks like they don't make anymore.

www.heritagekayaks.com/images/featherlite12angproduct.jpg

That is what I ended up getting. I tested out some Necky's that a buddy was selling but they were built for speed and I want to be able to relax and fish. Ended up getting one featherlite '12 angler and a featherlite '14 tandemn for when I go out with my wife and kid.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 4:35:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a wilderness systems 14' pungo I equiped for fishing.  I do okay if the current is swift,   but if there is very little current it's a great rig.

I bought it a few years ago, paddled it for about 3 hours then rigged it for fishing and the next time it saw water I did a 50+ mile 4 day paddle in it w/ no problems fishing....
....you just have to be a bit more organized, was my experience.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:51:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Subscribing so I can post some pictures this Saturday after a paddle on one of the local rivers.

ETA:  Forgot the camera.  I'll have to get some at a later date.

On a better note, the East Race opens this Saturday!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:29:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Subscribing so I can post some pictures this Saturday after a paddle on one of the local rivers.

I am going to WV this weekend for a paddle, I'll try and get some photos too.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:34:57 PM EDT
[#19]
When flyfishing from my canoes and kayaks, I find the kayak to be a bit more troublesome due to space and the confines of my kayaks although I have 31" cockpits.

Sometimes, my 16 foot canoe is too big, so I have an Old Town Pack. A small solo canoe (11 ft.), as nimble and manuverable as a small recreational kayak, stable platform and more room for gear. I lowered the seat a little and use a double bladed canoe paddle like a kayak. I can set my rods and gear out in front of me instead of trying to attach it to deck rigging when moving.

Check it out. I also canoe camp out of it, plenty of room for gear even at 33 lbs!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top