Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2014 8:24:39 PM EDT
We recently had a "Grid Down Weekend" drill at our house.

In the review of our preparations, several family members found the bleach odor of the storage water objectionable.

I have seen ads for preparations such as Aerobic 07 or  Stabilized Oxygen but I have never used them.

Has anyone had firsthand experience with them?
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:59:16 PM EDT
Why not try chlorine dioxide?

It's readily available on eBay far less expensively than the water 'purifying' tablets many of us carry in of BOB's.

Search AR15 chlorine dioxide...


Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:00:17 PM EDT
You are probably using way too much bleach.  Aerobic simply means 'with air(oxygen), needs air, uses air, require air' etc.  That shows the name 'Aerobic oxygen' is kind of a BS thing.  I do have some background in water and sewage treatment but that was long ago.  I seem to recall that increasing oxygen levels in water can be usefull but was not practical, of very limited practical use.  There may be some applications, specific and limited, but I am suspicious of this product.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:01:59 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MarkHatfield:
You are probably using way too much bleach.  Aerobic simply means 'with air(oxygen), needs air, uses air, require air' etc.  That shows the name 'Aerobic oxygen' is kind of a BS thing.  I do have some background in water and sewage treatment but that was long ago.  I seem to recall that increasing oxygen levels in water can be usefull but was not practical, of very limited practical use.  There may be some applications, specific and limited, but I am suspicious of this product.
View Quote



I agree...


Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:04:13 AM EDT
I believe areobic oxygen IS chlorine dioxide.

But I wouldn't trust people who make misleading claims to ensure the potency of their product.

BTW, Walmart is selling tupperware containers full of 21% aerobic oxygen.  REI has it in BPA free Nalagene bottles.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:58:52 AM EDT
I used aerobic 07 back in the day. I prefer bleach, way cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:52:11 AM EDT
you should be able to aerate bleach water (somehow) to remove the bleach taste...try it...
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:17:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/25/2014 6:21:27 AM EDT by TaylorWSO]



Originally Posted By AGreyMan:
In the review of our preparations, several family members found the bleach odor of the storage water objectionable.
View Quote
pour it between buckets a few times, it will go away w/n a day or just run it through a brita filter (or generic carbon filter)





btw you have way too much chlorine in your water, it takes very little to kill anything that "might" have been in there.
 
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:46:30 AM EDT
It's been said that putting a Vitamin C tab into bleachy water helps remove the taste.


Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:47:18 PM EDT
The theory that if you smell Chlorine you have enough, or even too much, and you can be assured your water is safe to drink, is not always correct. You need to know some subtle differences in smells.  When you add chlorine to water with organics in it, the first smell is chlorine bonded to the organic compounds, but this means the organics have not been completely oxidized. As long as they are not completely oxidized, there is the potential for bacterial and other stuff to still be alive. It in only when there is free chlorine left over that you can assume it is safe.

That initial smell is very hard to distinguish from the Trihalomethanes smell of incomplete oxidation.

I put more chlorine than I  think is needed in the water.  Then put it in a glass container and let it sit in the sun a few hours.  The free chlorine will decrease rapidly.  Then pour it back and forth some. The taste will be much better.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:03:28 AM EDT

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NAK:


The theory that if you smell Chlorine you have enough, or even too much, and you can be assured your water is safe to drink, is not always correct. You need to know some subtle differences in smells.  When you add chlorine to water with organics in it, the first smell is chlorine bonded to the organic compounds, but this means the organics have not been completely oxidized. As long as they are not completely oxidized, there is the potential for bacterial and other stuff to still be alive. It in only when there is free chlorine left over that you can assume it is safe.



That initial smell is very hard to distinguish from the Trihalomethanes smell of incomplete oxidation.



I put more chlorine than I  think is needed in the water.  Then put it in a glass container and let it sit in the sun a few hours.  The free chlorine will decrease rapidly.  Then pour it back and forth some. The taste will be much better.
View Quote




get that CPO talk outta here.

i giggle on the im gonna use my hot tub for drinking water threads....



as posted stir pour,stir,,set in the sun. let UV light do the rest.
 
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:54:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2014 5:55:20 AM EDT by TomJefferson]
Top Top