User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2011 3:26:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 3:30:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Murderer!!

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 3:47:56 AM EDT
[#2]
First Tier Possums will add the cold, stiff routine to their dead routine.

You were out foxed!
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 3:58:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Sorry, no pics.

Two days ago I saw a big groundhog out on our hillside. Consequently, I kicked off the annual war against the groundhogs by baiting a big box trap with some apples. I set the trap in the late afternoon.

At some point over the next 24 hours, Mr. Possum got himself caught. No big deal. When I got home from work yesterday, the kids were very excited: "Daddy! Daddy! You caught a possum in your trap!"

I wasn't nearly as thrilled as they were.

Anyway, I walked down to release him (not really worth a bullet, IMO). When I got to the trap, there was a medium-sized possum in there, but he was stone dead. I thought at first he was just 'playing possum,' but he was, in fact, cold, stiff and departed.

I'm trying to figure out why he died. It wasn't all that cold so I doubt he froze. The flaps on the trap slam down pretty hard but I wouldn't think they'd have enough force to kill a possum. Maybe stun him, but not kill him. I know possums are odd creatures, but I've never run across an animal with so little resilience as this one. Maybe he was sick?

Anybody ever see this sort of thing before?
How many yards?

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:38:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Feral (im not a possum expert, LOL) I believe the physiological process that causes a possum to "play possum" can actually stop it's heart for a period that causes death in rare circumstances.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:01:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe the stress of being trapped caused it to have a heart attack.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:41:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:46:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You were out foxed!

Nah, unless he's an absolute world-class possum, he was as cold, stiff and dead this morning as he was last night!

Quoted:
Feral (im not a possum expert, LOL) I believe the physiological process that causes a possum to "play possum" can actually stop it's heart for a period that causes death in rare circumstances.

It must've been something like that or a heart attack as also mentioned. I just find it weird.

Seen it once myself.  I figure it was shock/stress.

TRG
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't let CBS know about this or we'll all be watching CSI - Feral.  

R.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:19:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Some animal rather die then be caught.  I know for sure squirrels are like that.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't feed those apples to your kids!
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#11]
A wolverine will chew off its leg to get out of a trap.  I think the possum may have swallowed his own heart.  They are not quite as crafty as the wolverine.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:53:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You were out foxed!

Nah, unless he's an absolute world-class possum, he was as cold, stiff and dead this morning as he was last night!

Quoted:

It must've been something like that or a heart attack as also mentioned. I just find it weird.

Well, if  you disposed of it in any manner, I hope you cut its head off. Possums have a freaky ability to return from the dead, and haunt those who fuck with them.

don't ask me how I know.........................
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:06:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Great zombie possums.....

Anyways my bet is heart attack or maybe even a parasite.... These fugly lil buggers seem to not always be the cleanest of things
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Did you pick it up and heft it?

Sometimes space aliens'll holler 'em out, at least around here.

I have had them stone dead in a trap, with out a SINGLE mark on them.
And have had Great Horned Owls eat them right out of foothold traps- looks like a possum bomb went off!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top