Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2009 5:25:15 PM EST
Scenario: Some plague or a zombie apocalypse occurs and over 90% of the human population worldwide is dead. There are small enclaves of survivors, mostly in isolated regions where infection/zombies never arrived (small island nations, mountainous regions, etc.) or in government bunkers, but most survivors are scattered individuals or small groups (under half a dozen) that managed to survive through sheer good luck or individual preparedness.

Without people to infect, the plague has died out and is no longer a threat. Or, if you prefer the zombie scenario, either the "infected" (28 Days Later, Zombieland, Left 4 Dead scenario) starved to death or the walking dead (Dawn of the Dead, countless other zombie movies) have decomposed because unlike sci-fi, they really do eventually fall apart. In either case, the major threat that depopulated the world is no longer an issue.

What is an issue is that, like Will Smith, you are effectively alone. So far as you know, you are the only living person for hundreds, maybe thousands, of miles around. There is still electricity and running water, but that likely won't last more than another couple days without human supervision and maintenance. Obviously places with hydroelectric dams or nuclear power will have electricity for months, maybe even years, without someone at the controls.

So how do you survive with no other people (that you know of) around, no more manufactured products, no more mass-produced food, no more gasoline (when the power goes out, you'll have to pump it by hand, and even with Sta-bil it's going to go bad eventually), no electricity, no running water, etc.?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:27:31 PM EST
New story?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:49:30 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2009 6:54:02 PM EST by Hawk_308]
With 40K post you could have finished from sea to sea and a few others ...

So let me guess every thing is in place but no one is around .

With electricty I can keep about anything running , My biggest concern would be fuel , but that can be fixed with live stock for HP and transport.

Ok , I would a find a good location to build my empire .... I mean start my life over again .
2 salvage solar panels wind mills ,waterpumps and any other power generating /water stuff
3 stock up salvaged supplys food , batteries gas ect
4 find farm and construction equipment to improve my location and food production
5 work on it all till winter
6 use the cold months of winter to scout for survivors ( will be easier in the winter , no tree cover and smoke might give someone away)
7 return in the spring , aprilish for this neck of the woods , plant crops , add live stock ,
8 repeat till dead or untill I have a harlem of hotties , then replace step 6 with start to repopulate earth.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:01:39 PM EST
I think there would be enough stuff just lying around that supplies/food wouldn't be an issue.But anything you would need another person for would be the real issue.You break a bone, get an infection or even a bad cut, most likely you are toast.And most people need some kind of human interaction to stay sane and mentally healthy.IMHO, most people wouldn't last very long.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:34:11 AM EST
I don't have dog currently. I'd find myself a stray who still has a semblance of domesticness (is that a word? )

Food supplies at least for a couple of years until everything goes bad/gets eaten by rats-worms-centipedes-etc, should be safe.

I'd scavenge all sorts of sources for ammunition and sophisticated weaponry. I don't care if everyone around is gone. I WANT that full auto battle rifle with a 2K$ scope. I'd set up caches of ammunition and weaponry in the hundred mile radius of my base.

I'd scout around. Wild life will be coming back quite soon. Be them livestock freed from farms or just deer from a nearby forest. I'd hunt, to keep up my reflexes in top shape and for sustainment.

If I'm all alone, I don't know if I would care enough to start farming, at least for a couple of years.

My family owns an orchard, small scale but still tons to eat for a single guy, grapes, apples, pears, walnuts and whatnot. Clear cold springs all around the small town. Nice place all in all. I'd slowly migrate there.

I'd try to be invisible, no large scale solar arrays or stuff like that for me. I'd be content with a bite to eat, with a wool blanket and a silent nook to pray in. You know if everything came to THIS you WILL be praying, a lot.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:13:01 AM EST
Tag to follow post
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:17:49 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2009 9:20:55 AM EST by rrflyer]
I'd go hang with Bill Murray.

If that failed...thered be enough bottled water, canned foods.....well pretty much everything you could ever need easily found.

Except Twinkies. Theres never enough twinkies.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:30:26 AM EST
As for energy I would think fire wood. It would make a great heat source and light source. as for everything elseI think it would be salvable. candles and canned foods should be around. People dont need to be around but scouting for them and leaving little signs like spraypaint on a tree would help if people show up you could spraypaint an X or a O on trees to lead them some where where you can see them from a safe distance nowhere near you place so it stays secure. I would also looking into a wood burning source to produce gas for a generator that could power a freezer or fridge. As for transport, I would look into horses.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:40:20 AM EST
So you're saying Madagascar made it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:09:44 AM EST
Originally Posted By Lucky_lefty:
As for energy I would think fire wood. It would make a great heat source and light source. as for everything elseI think it would be salvable. candles and canned foods should be around. People dont need to be around but scouting for them and leaving little signs like spraypaint on a tree would help if people show up you could spraypaint an X or a O on trees to lead them some where where you can see them from a safe distance nowhere near you place so it stays secure. I would also looking into a wood burning source to produce gas for a generator that could power a freezer or fridge. As for transport, I would look into horses.

If you're buring wood, I doubt that you would need to leave an X or an O for someone to find you.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:19:30 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2009 11:24:37 AM EST by ServiceGun]
What if you go diesel instead of gas?

Does it go bad like gas?

Diesel vehicles and generators, while not as common as gas, aren't hard to find. (Check your local military base)
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:21:37 AM EST
Yes, but in different ways. Depending on the seasonal blend, it can gel with it gets cold. It can also mold and get contaminated with water. We're looking at issues here with large diesel base tanks on generators not cycling their fuel annually.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:23:48 AM EST
Originally Posted By Hawk_308:

8 repeat till dead or untill I have a harlem of hotties , then replace step 6 with start to repopulate earth.

Harlem or harem?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:38:32 AM EST
Originally Posted By Sajer:

Harlem or harem?

I for one do not want anything to do with a harlem...
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:36:51 PM EST
Plenty of guns and ammo in case some zombies ever do manage to show up (find nearest national guard armory, base, etc)
Secure living quarters (perhaps the same armory, police dept, or other similar)
Nearest WalMart/Costco/etc... if the outbreak was sudden enough it should be relatively fully stocked, and should last you for quite awhile
Start working on sustainable food/power/etc after the first 3 are taken care of
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:51:05 PM EST
10% of the population is still a hell of a lot of people in the local landscape.

There will be enough people to figure out how to make gas, get the lights back on, and get things going. Just because 90% of the population dies doesn't mean 100% of the IQ dies with them.

Think of all the skills you have, now next time you are in a restaurant count every 10th customer and think about what skill they have. Now skip the skills they have, think about their passions.

Now all you need is a Dictator to get them all together and make them work for you. You don't like what they are doing? Whip them! Whip them with a whip made of the flayed skin of those you killed to get where you are right now.

That's how you make shit happen. Fear and terror bring hope and change. Don't forget rape. Or in my fantasy world we call it "roo-roo."
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:09:30 PM EST
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:18:49 PM EST
Get a firetruck. Go to a hilltop at night and turn the lights on. People if alive would come. Zombies as well so get a hundred yards away and watch through a scope.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:22:35 PM EST
I would go to the Mountain House warehouse and move in, then scout out the largest propane storage facility and haul in as many propane generators I could locate as spares. Find or build a large greenhouse and install as many growlights I could find to use when sunlight isn't enough to grow my crops. With rain from Oregon area water will be easy to obtain & store.

Red
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:26:23 PM EST
Originally Posted By RedWoods:
I would go to the Mountain House warehouse and move in, then scout out the largest propane storage facility and haul in as many propane generators I could locate as spares. Find or build a large greenhouse and install as many growlights I could find to use when sunlight isn't enough to grow my crops. With rain from Oregon area water will be easy to obtain & store.

Red

You would get hypertension in about a year, and die of a massive heart attack. So much sodium...
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:34:05 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2009 2:34:39 PM EST by Hawk_308]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:
Originally Posted By Sajer:

Harlem or harem?

I for one do not want anything to do with a harlem...

opps
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:54:55 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2009 2:58:54 PM EST by Swindle1984]

ETA: Bastard beat me to it!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:24:37 PM EST
I would masterbate alot
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:30:22 PM EST
Originally Posted By 33rdscb:
I would masterbate alot

wouldn't we all....
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:38:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By Swindle1984:

http://it-is-law.com/dump/Madagascar-ShutDownEverything.jpg

ahahahaha! You're google-fu is weak young one!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:09:02 PM EST
Originally Posted By Halffast:
New story?

Nah. I MIGHT do a short story along these lines (I think I did the psychological aspect of loneliness and depression pretty well in the first chapter of The Survivor, and I'd like to explore that again in the future.), but only after From Sea To Shining Sea is finished. I don't want to distract myself from getting that done as soon as possible; I really think it's my first work that will, once it's been edited and reworked here and there, be worth publishing. In which case, I'll send you a free copy in exchange for a copy of whichever of your stories gets published first.

Hmm... if I do it as a short story, it might be worth looking into to see about a collection of survivalist/post-apocalyptic short stories by different authors. Interested?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:11:13 PM EST
Originally Posted By Darkninja:

http://it-is-law.com/dump/Madagascar-ShutDownEverything.jpg

ahahahaha! You're google-fu is weak young one!

My Google-fu is fine. I just didn't scroll through the entire thread before replying.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:57:59 PM EST
Personally Id hit up the garden section of Wal Mart first thing and get everything I need to start up a couple gardens, I would use what resources I had available to consolidate livestock, or move to an area where there is still livestock and land for farming available. Ideally, I would grow my veggies, eat eggs and chicken, and if I can find sheep I wont be lonely. Living in an empty world wouldnt be so bad, at least you wont need money or have anyone to pay a mortgage to.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:06:36 PM EST
10% of the current population is more than enough to retain most knowledge and abilities. Unless by some occurrence, only inner city welfare recipients are in that 10%.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:48:41 AM EST
Originally Posted By lumper:
10% of the current population is more than enough to retain most knowledge and abilities. Unless by some occurrence, only inner city welfare recipients are in that 10%.

I would dare to say you would be ok with 2% cross section
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:20:15 AM EST

Hmm... if I do it as a short story, it might be worth looking into to see about a collection of survivalist/post-apocalyptic short stories by different authors. Interested?

Yes, I would be.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:37:14 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2009 5:39:08 AM EST by Tim_McBride]
Constantly: Look for others, make signs to direct people to me
Short term: Square myself away with the best for Food, Water, Shelter
Long Term: Using all the best I can scavenge begin making tools and items that can be maintained simply, without massive power grids, and fancy alloys.
For Fun: Assemble a M242 Bushmaster cannon into a ground turret set up, stockpile as much 25mm as possible
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:54:06 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2009 8:55:07 AM EST by monkeyman]
First thing to do is get out the yellow pages and business telephone directory.

Think about it. Things go to shit, you are going to need to know where to go to get supplies. Nearly everything by category is listed in the phone book along with addresses.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:17:18 PM EST
Move myself into 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. If any address in America has a kick-ass backup power system, it would be that one.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:27:11 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2009 1:28:24 PM EST by Argon3]

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll100/CaptainFailcon/SHUTDOWNEVERYTHING.jpg

I can see that at least two SEVERAL other people have played Pandimic

AND NOT WIN/WIPE OUT EVERYONE BECAUSE OF MADAGASCAR
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:14:38 PM EST
Start a stash of Guinness.....a meal in a can - and everything seems alright after drinking it........steadily.......
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:21:57 PM EST
Scenario: Some plague or a zombie apocalypse occurs and over 90% of the human population worldwide is dead. There are small enclaves of survivors, mostly in isolated regions where infection/zombies never arrived (small island nations, mountainous regions, etc.) or in government bunkers, but most survivors are scattered individuals or small groups (under half a dozen) that managed to survive through sheer good luck or individual preparedness.

Without people to infect, the plague has died out and is no longer a threat. Or, if you prefer the zombie scenario, either the "infected" (28 Days Later, Zombieland, Left 4 Dead scenario) starved to death or the walking dead (Dawn of the Dead, countless other zombie movies) have decomposed because unlike sci-fi, they really do eventually fall apart. In either case, the major threat that depopulated the world is no longer an issue.

What is an issue is that, like Will Smith, you are effectively alone. So far as you know, you are the only living person for hundreds, maybe thousands, of miles around. There is still electricity and running water, but that likely won't last more than another couple days without human supervision and maintenance. Obviously places with hydroelectric dams or nuclear power will have electricity for months, maybe even years, without someone at the controls.

So how do you survive with no other people (that you know of) around, no more manufactured products, no more mass-produced food, no more gasoline (when the power goes out, you'll have to pump it by hand, and even with Sta-bil it's going to go bad eventually), no electricity, no running water, etc.?

That's a hell of a lot easier than a world full of pissed off stupid sheeple and greedy kleptocrats, which is a scenario that is a hell of a lot more likely.

Power and water will not last anywhere NEAR as long as you think. Think fires, trees, lightning, etc.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:38:00 PM EST
All you guys worried about power and pre-packaged food, its a miracle people survived 100 years ago without it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:43:56 PM EST
Originally Posted By nf9648:
All you guys worried about power and pre-packaged food, its a miracle people survived 100 years ago without it.

Isn't it?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:14:56 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2009 5:15:11 PM EST by IAMLEGEND]
Find a pet dog and/or cat.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:27:41 PM EST
Originally Posted By Argon3:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll100/CaptainFailcon/SHUTDOWNEVERYTHING.jpg

I can see that at least two SEVERAL other people have played Pandimic

Protip: Keep resetting until you start in Madagascar.

I like the idea of using a phonebook instead of just scouting for supplies.
Looks or ammo and renewable food sources would be my first concern. At the same time trying to be as invisible as possible.

AND NOT WIN/WIPE OUT EVERYONE BECAUSE OF MADAGASCAR

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:02:34 PM EST
Originally Posted By nf9648:

I gotta tell yah. I own a farm. Most of my family still farms.

If i had a near endless supply of delicous pre packaged ready to go food I would not waste my time farming.

I would find the supply truck for the nearest kroger. Fill it if not already filled with delicous spaghetti-o's, little debbies, and mt. dew.

I would then drive it to the AF base down the road and procede to fly around in F16's for the next few months or until I tired of blowing up random things.

At which point I would probably go to the adult bookstore and retire with a truck of Jameson.

If the world ended and I was all that was left.....i guess i wouldn't be the one to depend on to rebuild it.
Top Top