Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/17/2016 5:44:00 PM EDT
High altitude nuk explosions causing EMPs that wipe out anything with a long conductor.

I thought that was all but debunked.

Did I miss something?
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#1]
To my knowledge it absolutely HAS NOT been debunked.

I think it's effect on modern cars was the "controversy".

But, there's no doubt a real EMP attack would be devastating on the grid - and w/o the grid, our civilization is history.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 6:32:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
High altitude nuk explosions causing EMPs that wipe out anything with a long conductor.

I thought that was all but debunked.

Did I miss something?
View Quote

No, this is the correct result of EMP in a nutshell. Just this -- long conductors is bad news.

The hysteria (which has been thoroughly debunked) is over the belief that any electronic device,
portable radios, car ECUs, etc, etc, will be permanently disabled. None of this is true, small devices
not connected to the grid will be unaffected. (Though the power and communications infrastructure
they depend on may very well be.)
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 6:54:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Hysterisa???

In a Survival Forum...

What are you talking abt???

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#4]
as already stated. It is not debunked. Long conductor makes it go toast.

What has been debunked is unconnected electronics.

Of course if the grid is down and you still have an EoTech, you are fucked both ways.

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 8:07:08 PM EDT
[#5]
In my opinion we would be better off if the effects of EMP did knock out automobiles and here is why.  If the pulse knocked out the grid and automobiles were not knocked out as well, all of those cars and trucks would be running around looking for goods and burning the limited amount of fuel available. Millions of people scouring the countryside and a lot of them will be desperate enough to do bad things to other people.

If the bulk of the automobiles didn't run then there would be plenty of fuel for generators and emergency vehicles.

Just one mans opinion.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In my opinion we would be better off if the effects of EMP did knock out automobiles and here is why.  If the pulse knocked out the grid and automobiles were not knocked out as well, all of those cars and trucks would be running around looking for goods and burning the limited amount of fuel available. Millions of people scouring the countryside and a lot of them will be desperate enough to do bad things to other people.

If the bulk of the automobiles didn't run then there would be plenty of fuel for generators and emergency vehicles.

Just one mans opinion.
View Quote

Don't worry, the urban masses will be sitting around thinking that the Red Cross is going to roll up with donuts and blankets any minute so they won't be going anywhere.

Or they will be like most preppers and want to spend a month "researching" it after it happened before taking ANY action, and in doing so they will miss their window to leave. They will eat each other in town before they make the attempt to leave. LOL

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 10:10:26 PM EDT
[#7]
For The Record is having a special on it tonight (Wed night at 8:00).

Doc
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 11:09:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I seem to recall seeing a video of a fairly recent car subjected to an EMP pulse. It stalled. It restarted. Some of the older cars didn't even hiccup.

That being said, I was sitting at the gas pump in my 2016 Jeep earlier in the week and when I went to leave, it said it couldn't see the key fob. Dorked around trying to get it to start, eventually set off the car alarm. Then, it would start with the remote start button but would shut off when I put my foot on the brake. Then we pulled the manual out and started reading. After a couple of minutes, it evidently reset itself and worked as though there was nothing ever wrong. My thinking is that any system that can get tangled up in its own underwear during normal times isn't likely to do well when something is jocking with the system.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 1:29:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Doc
View Quote
I'll have to catch that on demand. For those that may have caught it, credible experts used?

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 3:18:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't say it's been debunked because it's a proven fact. Maybe they are trying to debunk anyone else has the capabilities to do it. It's theoretically possible and the U.S. and other countries could accomplish this but few others can at the moment. The speculations is if some country like N. Korea has the ability.

Personally I'm more worried about a country like Iran or worse, China.

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 3:20:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey, if you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention!
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 9:23:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I think that most people envision EMP in the manner romanticized by various 'prepper movies and books' and it does make for an excellent shtf plot.  Suddenly all electronic devices and electrical powered equipment stops working and we are plunged back into the stone age. An attack by an enemy who wanted to cause emp damage would look alot more like a wide spread long-term  power outage than anything else.  The length of the power outage would be determined by how well our engineers could assess the damage and the availability of repair components for our substations. It would take many devices to damage an entire continents grid. Another similar type of event would be the effects of a large solar flare impacting earth.  In that case the impact would be far wider and would also encompass the satellite network.  The net result is roughly the same:  extended power outage.  If you are "prepping"  for a power outage lasting from a few weeks to a few months I think you should consider yourself covered. There's just little need to prepare for sceneries in books or movies.

All that said if you think EMPs are a serious threat by all means keep preparing for them. You will wind up with a set of capabilities that do not depend on electricity to operate and there is no denying that is a benefit to all kinds of situations emp or not.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 9:46:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Just one mans opinion.
View Quote

On the other hand it would allow many to get to their bug out locations. Maybe.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 10:33:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Just one mans opinion.
View Quote

My guess is, from knowing some city folk is, most of them have an 1/8 of a tank to drive around on...
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 5:32:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Hysteria???

In a Survival Forum...

What are you talking abt???

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I seem to recall seeing a video of a fairly recent car subjected to an EMP pulse. It stalled. It restarted. Some of the older cars didn't even hiccup.

That being said, I was sitting at the gas pump in my 2016 Jeep earlier in the week and when I went to leave, it said it couldn't see the key fob. Dorked around trying to get it to start, eventually set off the car alarm. Then, it would start with the remote start button but would shut off when I put my foot on the brake. Then we pulled the manual out and started reading. After a couple of minutes, it evidently reset itself and worked as though there was nothing ever wrong. My thinking is that any system that can get tangled up in its own underwear during normal times isn't likely to do well when something is jocking with the system.
View Quote

Scary..
But the fact that it worked the bug out all on its own is a good sign it can deal with an EMP?
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Doc
View Quote

Any way to watch this without subscribing to The Blaze?
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 7:46:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Definitely not debunked.  It's not bunk...I think it's more what we'd call established science.

Here's a great reference on the subject.

http://www.amazon.com/Disaster-Preparedness-Attacks-Expanded-Edition/dp/1478376651/ref=pd_sim_14_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=51KsQSMDqbL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR106%2C160_&refRID=1B81JDBBFGCBD5DT4AX0

Practical info.  Pretty readable.  No hysterical BS or nonsense.

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 8:18:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
All that said if you think EMPs are a serious threat by all means keep preparing for them. You will wind up with a set of capabilities that do not depend on electricity to operate and there is no denying that is a benefit to all kinds of situations emp or not.
View Quote

Unfortunately, most people "preparing" for some type of EMP seem more intent on "how do I build a faraday cage to keep my tv, generator, and dvd player ok?" than thumbing through the Lehman's catalog and making prodigious notes.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Unfortunately, most people "preparing" for some type of EMP seem more intent on "how do I build a faraday cage to keep my tv, generator, and dvd player ok?" than thumbing through the Lehman's catalog and making prodigious notes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love the Lehman's catalog. If you are ever in mid-Ohio, stop at the store. We were there 4 hours the first time, and I am unwilling to post in public how much we spent.. LOL
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Scary..
But the fact that it worked the bug out all on its own is a good sign it can deal with an EMP?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scary..

Well, yeah, if you want to be an optimist. The engineer in me says that it shouldn't have gotten confused in the first place and will likely do so again at the most inopportune time.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 8:43:31 PM EDT
[#22]
If I were an antagonist looking to bring down the U.S., I'd take all that money I was spending on EMP weapon development and move it over to the cyberattack team.  I'm thinkin' that's where the real threat lies these days.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 11:03:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think that most people envision EMP in the manner romanticized by various 'prepper movies and books' and it does make for an excellent shtf plot.  Suddenly all electronic devices and electrical powered equipment stops working and we are plunged back into the stone age. An attack by an enemy who wanted to cause emp damage would look alot more like a wide spread long-term  power outage than anything else.  The length of the power outage would be determined by how well our engineers could assess the damage and the availability of repair components for our substations. It would take many devices to damage an entire continents grid. Another similar type of event would be the effects of a large solar flare impacting earth.  In that case the impact would be far wider and would also encompass the satellite network.  The net result is roughly the same:  extended power outage.  If you are "prepping"  for a power outage lasting from a few weeks to a few months I think you should consider yourself covered. There's just little need to prepare for sceneries in books or movies.

View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 11:11:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just do not see that scenario different from most other prep scenarios.

You have to survive the transition.

Food, Water, Shelter, Friends. weapons, meds, cooking, light, heat, etc.

I just don't see grid down as being much different.

If anything, it might be easier to survive because the amount of dead is likely to be much more and much faster making it easier for the people that survive the first 30 days.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:29:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Take the effect of the EMP and multiply it by the thousands of linear miles of utility power/telecom wiring in the affected area. Suddenly a low power EMP compounds to the point where it can take out critical infrastructure. Now, consider that it will take years to manufacture enough transformers and other pieces of equipment to fix what has been broken.

What would happen if 12 major cities lost power for a few years? Are we capable of supporting the logistics of our military abroad while trying to support millions of domestic civilians in need? What would happen to our economy?

EMPs can definitely cause some headaches and are definitely something that may be used against us in the future.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 1:09:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I made the comment once to some friends that my goal was to to be good to go for the Zombie Apocalypse after an EMP event.  They laughed.   I said if I was covered for that, I would be enjoying the power out weekend after a snow storm.   We just put in a wood stove and I really need to catch up on a few books.  

Joking aside the grid can be taken down many ways besides an EMP event.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 1:43:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Take the effect of the EMP and multiply it by the thousands of linear miles of utility power/telecom wiring in the affected area.
View Quote

telecom/datacom networks are more immune than ever to effects of EMP.
compared to 1960/70/80 and even 1990, the susceptibility of modern equipment is trivially low.

power infrastructure may be a different story, but telecom/datacom networks are a different sort of beast.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:09:02 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

compared to 1960/70/80 and even 1990, the susceptibility of modern equipment is trivially low.

power infrastructure may be a different story, but telecom/datacom networks are a different sort of beast.

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Take the effect of the EMP and multiply it by the thousands of linear miles of utility power/telecom wiring in the affected area.

ar-jedi

My thoughts as well. Fiber optics are not conductors. If they could be powered from both ends, they would remain useful.

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:12:50 AM EDT
[#29]
I dont have all the data here but back when NASA was makign a huge deal about the EMP threat, I found that most of the material happened to be written by the same peopel signigng millionaire contacts with the Us gov. to harden the grid against EMP...
In a nutshell, yet another thing to keep in mind and prepare for depending on how much it is likely to affect you, but theres probably +20 very serious threats you should be preparing for that are far more liekyl.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#30]
What's an EMP?

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Saw a .gov EMP test facility demonstrating its effect on modern vehicvles.  It knocked the vehicles out and they could NOT be restarted.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Saw a .gov EMP test facility demonstrating its effect on modern vehicvles.  It knocked the vehicles out and they could NOT be restarted.  
View Quote
Link man, LINK!

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 10:18:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Did you buy the Author's book???

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 11:06:34 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Did you buy the Author's book???

http://www.futurescience.com/emp/cover-new.jpg

View All Quotes
Yeah, I'm always skeptical of "facts" presented by people who are selling the "solution."

Link Posted: 2/20/2016 12:19:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yeah, I'm always skeptical of "facts" presented by people who are selling the "solution."  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That article was actually pretty interesting. I don't dispute most of his conclusions however a wide area EMP attack requires many devices distributed and detonated at exactly the right positions and altitudes. Mastery of miniaturized EMP enhanced nuclear weapons, long range missile launch, precision guidance, secrecy and surprise.  This complexity excludes all but a small handful of nation state actors and most of them are either our friends or smart enough not to attack the mainland US with nuclear weapons.

Now go off and buy some "EMP bags"!

Side note: I was out shopping for a large gun safe and many of the electronic safes now are advertised as "EMP resistant". Prepper fears are really affecting the marketing I guess.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 2:02:23 AM EDT
[#37]
EMP effects on cars has not been debunked.

The lab tests that everyone seems to think proved it wrong only showed it would definitely effect cars. And there's no evidence to show that it wouldn't forever fry the computers in them.

The lab that the tests were done in could only generate a fraction of what an EMP would, so therefore automatically invalid for the purpose of debunking it.

It proves it more than anything, because even generating a weak EMP, it was still shutting cars down. I think some wouldn't start again, but not totally sure. I haven't looked at it for years.

When the Russians did a REAL EMP test, pretty sure they had destroyed some of their big, military diesel generators.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 8:35:35 AM EDT
[#38]
If North Korea could put a nuke in their satellite and exploded it over the US, or a missile was launched off the Gulf coast and exploded a nuke over the US:

Would an EMP resulting from the explosion of a nuke take out the large transformers?  

Even if cars were not effected, would the US population be demoralized? Yes

Would the US plunge into financial chaos?

Does any rogue nation have the capability to build or buy a device? Yes

Does any rogue nation have the capability to build a rocket that can deliver a nuke do it? Yes

Could a rogue nation do it in secrecy?

If Iran or North Korea had the capability, would they do it?

Link Posted: 2/20/2016 9:19:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
EMP effects on cars has not been debunked.

The lab tests that everyone seems to think proved it wrong only showed it would definitely effect cars. And there's no evidence to show that it wouldn't forever fry the computers in them.

The lab that the tests were done in could only generate a fraction of what an EMP would, so therefore automatically invalid for the purpose of debunking it.

It proves it more than anything, because even generating a weak EMP, it was still shutting cars down. I think some wouldn't start again, but not totally sure. I haven't looked at it for years.

When the Russians did a REAL EMP test, pretty sure they had destroyed some of their big, military diesel generators.
View Quote

The lab tests were done up to "approximately 50 kV/m" (that is approximately 50,000 V/m). http://www.empcommission.org/docs/A2473-EMP_Commission-7MB.pdf

The Nuclear Environment Survivability US Army Report AD-A278230 shows that the 50kV/m field strength area would be very small.

Also the voltage per meter doesn't increase linearly with weapon yield.  You can see the relationship on the EMP Wikipedia page.  The original source for that is Army Report AD-A009208 A Calculational Model for High Altitude EMP

There is a lot of excellent information out there that will help one to make a very well informed decision on the importance of prepping specifically for nuclear EMP.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 9:23:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I dont have all the data here but back when NASA was makign a huge deal about the EMP threat, I found that most of the material happened to be written by the same peopel signigng millionaire contacts with the Us gov. to harden the grid against EMP...
In a nutshell, yet another thing to keep in mind and prepare for depending on how much it is likely to affect you, but theres probably +20 very serious threats you should be preparing for that are far more liekyl.
FerFAL
View Quote

Agreed, but wouldn't EMP prep also cover you for the vast majority of the +20 threats as well?  Worst case, 80% even for the threats least similar to EMP.

Why not use the most remote, yet damaging threat as the model in order to achieve a foundation to build on for the additional possibilities.  I find when helping new preppers organize and wrap their head around ALL the possible threats, it's easier to give them a single model and explain that it's simply a jumping off point so they can get moving in the right direction, and focus on the tangential possibilities further down the road.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I wish there was a "solution" for sale.

http://www.empcommission.org/docs/empc_exec_rpt.pdf

Report of the Commission to Assess the Threat to the United States from Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) Attack
Volume 1: Executive Report 2004

Dr. John S. Foster, Jr.
Mr. Earl Gjelde
Dr. William R. Graham (Chairman) Dr. Robert J. Hermann
Mr. Henry (Hank) M. Kluepfel GEN Richard L. Lawson, USAF (Ret.) Dr. Gordon K. Soper
Dr. Lowell L. Wood, Jr.
Dr. Joan B. Woodard

CHARTER
Public Law 106-398, Title XIV
SEC. 1402. DUTIES OF COMMISSION
(a) Review of EMP Threat. The Commission shall assess:
(1) the nature and magnitude of potential high-altitude EMP threats to the United States from all potentially hostile states or non-state actors that have or could acquire nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles enabling them to perform a high-altitude EMP attack against the United States within the next 15 years;
(2) the vulnerability of United States military and especially civilian systems to an EMP attack, giving special attention to vulnerability of the civilian infrastructure as a matter of emergency preparedness;
(3) the capability of the United States to repair and recover from damage inflicted on United States military and civilian systems by an EMP attack; and
(4) the feasibility and cost of hardening select military and civilian systems against EMP attack.
(b) Recommendation. The Commission shall recommend any steps it believes should be taken by the United States to better protect its military and civilian systems from EMP attack.
The findings and recommendations presented in this report are the independent judgments of this Commission and should not be attributed to any other people or organizations. This report presents the unanimous views of the Commissioners.

ABSTRACT

Several potential adversaries have or can acquire the capability to attack the United States with a high-altitude nuclear weapon-generated electromagnetic pulse (EMP). A determined adversary can achieve an EMP attack capability without having a high level of sophistication.

EMP is one of a small number of threats that can hold our society at risk of catastrophic consequences. EMP will cover the wide geographic region within line of sight to the nuclear weapon. It has the capability to produce significant damage to critical infrastructures and thus to the very fabric of US society, as well as to the ability of the United States and Western nations to project influence and military power.

The common element that can produce such an impact from EMP is primarily electronics, so pervasive in all aspects of our society and military, coupled through critical infrastructures. Our vulnerability is increasing daily as our use of and dependence on electronics continues to grow. The impact of EMP is asymmetric in relation to potential protagonists who are not as dependent on modern electronics.

The current vulnerability of our critical infrastructures can both invite and reward attack if not corrected. Correction is feasible and well within the Nation's means and resources to accomplish.

There are another 47 pages, but, hey, its just a scam, right?

And then there is this nut: http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2013/06/19/newt-gingrich-warns-electromagnetic-pulse-could-end-civilizations

But reading is for faggots, so here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5TzyFFbclY

And here that former director of the CIA and some PHD fooled the Wall Street Journal: http://www.wsj.com/articles/james-woolsey-and-peter-vincent-pry-the-growing-threat-from-an-emp-attack-1407885281

Yeah, they are just in it for the money, but you cleverly didn't get fooled.

Link Posted: 2/20/2016 10:15:06 PM EDT
[#42]
It is far more likely that some nefarious group will attempt, and may very well succeed, in physically attacking major power substations. So, if one prepares for the aftermath of an EMP, assuming an EMP event takes out the power grid and most of the communications infrastructure, then one will have already prepared sufficiently well to deal with the far, far more likely probability of a grid-down scenario caused by more conventional means. (The only exception to that is whatever sensitive electronics one might have, such as a ham radio connected to a nice big antenna. That would be fine should a bunch of jihadis blow up a bunch of transformers. EMP burst, not so much.)

Nonetheless, having the ability to generate power until the grid comes back on-line, alternative means of providing heat (and perhaps cooling), an alternate means of acquiring water (since we've already seen instances of rolling blackouts causing water availability issues), some form of communications/ability to hear news, and being able to cook food will pretty much cover any serious scenario, including extensive regional power outages (like Cat 5 hurricanes and the like).

I am curious about one thing, though. Would taking precautions one would normally do relative to lightning strike protection perform a protective function relative to an EMP event? (I came across an interesting link here: on lightning protection.)
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 11:20:47 PM EDT
[#43]
What I LIKE about 'prepping' for an 'EMP attack' is that it means resources aren't moving, electrical things probably won't work, and you have to compete with the rest of the population for everything.

The 'Zombies is the best thing to prep for' people over in the Zombie Central section are kidding themselves. Instead of rationing and 'making food,' they worry more about scavenging everything they need. An AR15, 'oh there will be plenty of those all over the ground anyway.'

ETA: That said, I don't focus on the EMP specific things, like putting electronics in metal containers, etc.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 7:23:05 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

What I LIKE about 'prepping' for an 'EMP attack' is that it means resources aren't moving, electrical things probably won't work, and you have to compete with the rest of the population for everything.

The 'Zombies is the best thing to prep for' people over in the Zombie Central section are kidding themselves. Instead of rationing and 'making food,' they worry more about scavenging everything they need. An AR15, 'oh there will be plenty of those all over the ground anyway.'

ETA: That said, I don't focus on the EMP specific things, like putting electronics in metal containers, etc.
View Quote

The biggest threat from EMP is long term grid down, which is pretty much the biggest threat from any disaster.  If you prep for grid down, you have the bare basics for just about any disaster, it is the low hanging fruit you should get first.  The actual cause almost becomes irrelevant in most cases once you have that covered.

Link Posted: 2/21/2016 7:29:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The biggest threat from EMP is long term grid down, which is pretty much the biggest threat from any disaster.  If you prep for grid down, you have the bare basics for just about any disaster, it is the low hanging fruit you should get first.  The actual cause almost becomes irrelevant in most cases once you have that covered.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is my stance.  It also prepares you for relatively common "disasters", like power lines being down for a week because of ice storms, or even a day because somebody took out a power pole.  Even in non-life-threatening situations, it's pretty easy to turn something from a major PITA to a minor inconvenience.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:46:08 AM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 2/21/2016 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#47]

The jedi prepper room entrance?
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#48]

The case cracker! Watch out everyone, electrostatic discharge going on right behind that door!  The horror. That officially settles the darn EMP question.  Thanks a lot!
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:07:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Agreed, but wouldn't EMP prep also cover you for the vast majority of the +20 threats as well?  Worst case, 80% even for the threats least similar to EMP.

Why not use the most remote, yet damaging threat as the model in order to achieve a foundation to build on for the additional possibilities.  I find when helping new preppers organize and wrap their head around ALL the possible threats, it's easier to give them a single model and explain that it's simply a jumping off point so they can get moving in the right direction, and focus on the tangential possibilities further down the road.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FerFAL

I've had more success with the opposite approach.  Start with the most  common and expand out from there.  Get them to prep for a power outage, a car accident, or an injury.  Then expand on what is needed, and how much.  No point in building a faraday cage when you only have a week worth of food that won't go bad if the power goes out anyway.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 11:19:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Has it been established or determined if optics (like Aimpoints) or WML's would work through an EMP?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top