Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
6/25/2018 7:04:05 PM
Posted: 6/25/2018 2:42:43 PM EDT
So yesterday I took my youth group for a hike. It was up Lazy Mountain, not sure where they came up with that name because it is anything but lazy. Its 2.5 miles one way with 3740 ft of elevation gain to the peak. There were twelve of us total the kids varied in age from 11 to 18. 9 of them made it to the peak. For 7 of them it was their first time climbing it, my son and I the only 2 that had done it before. Being the only one to summit I got to play around with them as there are 3 false peaks, every flat piece of ground they would get a "CONGRATULATIONS you made it to the first false peak!" It never got old seeing their disappointed faces. With low clouds the last 700ft were socked in clouds and windy which had everyone wondering layering up would be worth it. They were all stoked after getting to the top. It was cool seeing the accomplishment on their faces. It felt good being 39 and keeping or pushing their pace. I will see aboutgetting scenic pics up later. Just thought i would share.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 2:45:28 PM EDT
I usually find the more docile and friendly the name, the more death marchy it is.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 2:57:26 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By freeride21a:
I usually find the more docile and friendly the name, the more death marchy it is.
View Quote

I climbed(hiked really) a mountain in Wyoming called Cream Puff one time.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 3:03:03 PM EDT
View Quote
The Parks department flyer for it says "The Lazy Mountains trail reshapes you. It stretches tendons on the way up. If you are not a regular climber going down can cause quads to be so sore the pain has its own catch phrase "Lazy legs."

One upside was eveyone brought enough water for themselves, the downside that meant the extra water I was carrying was extra weight.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 4:18:03 PM EDT
God, I hate false peaks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 4:39:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AR45fan:
God, I hate false peaks.
View Quote
I hear ya. Back when I was young and dumb, we decided to hike the highest peak in Texas - Guadalupe (Signal) Peak.
A little over 4 miles and 3,000 ft. elevation gain...with two false peaks...in the summer. I think everyone in our group had a single bottle of water apiece.
We made it, but dehydration was definitely fighting us.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 5:53:23 PM EDT
2.5 miles & 3740 feet elevation gain I hiked one in NH that climbed 2000’ in the first 1.25 miles, I couldn’t imagine doing double that. Hell, there are only a few mountains in NH that have that kind of gain. You must have quads of iron LOL
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 6:06:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ME2112:
2.5 miles & 3740 feet elevation gain I hiked one in NH that climbed 2000’ in the first 1.25 miles, I couldn’t imagine doing double that. Hell, there are only a few mountains in NH that have that kind of gain. You must have quads of iron LOL
View Quote
I used trekking poles for the first time. My legs are sore, i have never had my triceps burn like they did at the end of the hike.

The other adult was retired army airborne, a couple years older than me. He was popping anti-inflamatories on the way down and i was leaning on the poles. We held our own with the kids on rhe way up they ran down. My knees were saying nope on running.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 6:17:42 PM EDT
I only use trekking poles going downhill... that is my trick.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 12:33:20 PM EDT
A lot of the mountains here are too rocky to use poles. By that I mean the trail is nothing but rocks and small boulders that you have to hop. There usually isn’t any place to put your poles where they’ll do any good.

I almost always use them in the winter, and always do when I’m wearing spikes.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 12:50:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/27/2018 12:52:30 PM EDT by Ranchhand365]
View Quote
Grin !!

Lucy's Foot Pass

TWICE - Years apart - When I was climbing over this, freezing rain came in and made it a total health hazard.

Never had freezing rain ice up stuff in the summer any other time......

I guess Lucy has it out for me...
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 7:43:29 PM EDT
What did you do for the fall-outs who didn't summit, particularly the younger kids. Did you assign an older kid to look after them until the group scooped them up on your descent?
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 1:46:45 PM EDT
Originally Posted By tc556guy:
What did you do for the fall-outs who didn't summit, particularly the younger kids. Did you assign an older kid to look after them until the group scooped them up on your descent?
View Quote
The first two fell out rather quickly a HS senior girl with asthma and severe allergies who was getting allergy tested the next day so off all meds and her male cousin who is extremely out of shape. It was fast like 5 minutes in. They were sent back to the trailhead to sit in a truck. The third person was also a HS senior boy who had just gotten back from a 36 mile hike hew was cramping in his calves he was still close enough to head back alone as well. My son was the youngest going into 6th grade this year and is 11. He and I were the only ones to have done this hike before to the peak which we had done twice previously the first time being when my son was 6 but he is part billy goat so there is that.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 7:52:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Alaskagrown:
So yesterday I took my youth group for a hike. It was up Lazy Mountain, not sure where they came up with that name because it is anything but lazy. Its 2.5 miles one way with 3740 ft of elevation gain to the peak. There were twelve of us total the kids varied in age from 11 to 18. 9 of them made it to the peak. For 7 of them it was their first time climbing it, my son and I the only 2 that had done it before. Being the only one to summit I got to play around with them as there are 3 false peaks, every flat piece of ground they would get a "CONGRATULATIONS you made it to the first false peak!" It never got old seeing their disappointed faces. With low clouds the last 700ft were socked in clouds and windy which had everyone wondering layering up would be worth it. They were all stoked after getting to the top. It was cool seeing the accomplishment on their faces. It felt good being 39 and keeping or pushing their pace. I will see aboutgetting scenic pics up later. Just thought i would share.
View Quote
HAHAHA!!
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 1:36:03 AM EDT
I've never done Lazy Mountain, I'll make sure to do it this summer.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 3:29:40 AM EDT
We should do a ARFCOM- valley area members hike. My kiddos are 10 and 7, the crushed Lazy up to the table, then little man had a foot injury that caused us to head down. We took lazy moose down, much eazier.
Top Top