Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2018 11:05:19 AM EDT
I plan to buy this tent over the weekend, unless someone has a better tent. Either same quality for less money, or better tent for slightly more money.

Marmot Tungsten 4P
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 12:42:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Specs look good on paper for that price. Not sure you'll find anything better without going north of $400. Weight is kinda high, but as long as you're not using this for backpacking, I don't see a problem. Even if you are, you can split the raincover, tent, and poles between 3 people.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks good. Off to show the wife.
We own a coleman exponent that is identical to that design.
Only issue is in hit weather
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Tungsten 3P that is a couple of years old.

Great tent - 2# / person - the bottom near vertical side walls (approx 1') offer lots of interior space.

This year we walked into a Pacific storm. We camped down in the Foxtail Pines for shelter but had 100 mph winds a few hundred feet above us over crest. We had all the guy lines out and it was very stable.

Recommended.....
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 11:36:53 PM EDT
[#4]
That's a good, albeit heavy, tent.  We had a 2P version of the earlier model starting out.

I have a Big Agnes HV UL4 which I use backpacking with the family.  It's 5lbs (almost 3lbs lighter than the Marmot) and splits well between the wife and I.  It's a lot more expensive unless you can find a deal, though (I got mine for 40% off)
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:12:31 PM EDT
[#5]
We have the previous version of this.. exactly the same except for color. We have been in some serious weather up on top of the smokies in it, no issues. HIGHLY recommend for anything other then backpacking. Ours is the 4 person, fits great for 2 peeps and a big dog..

Cabela's Tent
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:13:41 AM EDT
[#6]
i recommend this one from Mountainsmith - ranked a top tent by backpacker magazine.  I have had 4 people in it - workable, but only for sleeping - best as a three person.   They sell a matching ground cloth for the system also.  $100 less than marmot and lighter

https://www.amazon.com/Mountainsmith-Genesee-Person-Season-Lotus/dp/B00452C2KA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541949086&sr=8-1&keywords=mountainsmith+genesee

Also in top 11 here - as is yours

https://mountainsforeverybody.com/best-4-person-backpacking-tents
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Good rule of thumb for tents is:

If you want to sleep X people comfortably - get a tent that's rated to sleep X+1

EDIT TO ADD:

If you want to sleep more than 2 people in a tent GET TWO TENTS !!!!
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#8]
We have a Marmot 8p tent and love it. Well built and easy to put up. No guy lines required. It hold the 5 of us and all our gear.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#9]
So we are currently using a 6person ozark for 3 people. 2 single airmatresses and a pad. Getting my wife in there too, with "stuff" would be hard.

So the idea is to do a really good 4person tent for me + kids when it's just us, or wife + me and the smaller tent for the kids.

Not backpacking the tent in, so weight not so much the problem. I liked the Marmot because it looked very wind stable. The ozark 6 person is a parachute. Not to mention cold.

Didn't buy a tent yet, because weather "looked" very nice LOL. It was, except it dropped to 40 overnight and open top tent was coooold.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top