Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/18/2013 4:07:21 PM EDT
I live out in a very rural area here in MS and am contemplating buying a few chickens for our acre yard. The problem is that I'm active duty military and PCS roughly every three years. I was planning on buying around 3-4 chickens for eggs and for fertilizer/pest control. For those of you that have them, should I even consider chickens? Are they easy to sell/off-load when it comes time to move? Or should I just wait until I'm permanently settled? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 4:23:17 PM EDT
Butcher them and eat them a couple months before you pcs.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 5:01:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By mustangracer:
Butcher them and eat them a couple months before you pcs.

I thought of that and brought it up to the wife. Let's just say she was not keen on the idea and told me I could not have chickens at all if that was the final plan.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 5:09:01 PM EDT
If your wife can't stomach the thought of eating chickens, then you definately shouldn't have them.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:34:50 AM EDT
Lemme get this straight...

3-4 Chickens.

Free Range.

Rural Mississippi.

And you want to know how easy it will be to get rid of them when you are not around?

That's a self-solving problem. You leave it up to the possums, raccoons and owls. They will appreciate your generosity.

TRG

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:17:29 PM EDT
A laying hen sells for $8-15 per bird on CL. Get what you want and sell a month before you're off. A free to good home would go quick if you needed to unload them quick. People are always looking for good chickens.
Top Top