Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2012 8:55:57 PM EDT
so looking around for some nice property as a potential BOL or potential new home. Lots of places (pa) i can find 1) house with lots of land backed up to vast amounts of forrest 2) a house with a few acres 10> and also back up to vast amount of land, SO my question is in a potential BOL would it be more feasible to buy with the more land 30< owned or the 10> backed up to more forrest?
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:14:36 AM EDT
[#1]
My vote is bigger parcel.
It's more area under your direct control.
With the smaller parcel, during hunting season, if you're next to huntable state or town land, you can have some yahoo setting up his stand two feet off your property line. Or twenty feet inside your property line. Or setting off his tannerite deer chasers. Or whatever.

When I started looking for a house, I searched for low density (farm or mountainy area).
5-50 acre plots, nice area.
Decent distance from nearest city
NOT next to state land.
NOT next to hunting A-frames or singlewides on 1/2 acre plots. They invite burglers.
Low taxes.
NOT the new up and coming area. Douchebags from NYC/NNJ are spreading out and bringing big city thinking with them.
In my town, people whose parents moved here are considered outsiders.
I'm the new guy and will be until the day I die. And that's ok.
Because they note EVERY car that goes by. In a spot that abuts state land, you won't find that.

Maybe I'll add more later. I just saw a deer walk by (opening day of rifle season).
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:52:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
so looking around for some nice property as a potential BOL or potential new home. Lots of places (pa) i can find 1) house with lots of land backed up to vast amounts of forrest 2) a house with a few acres 10> and also back up to vast amount of land, SO my question is in a potential BOL would it be more feasible to buy with the more land 30< owned or the 10> backed up to more forrest?

i am looking for land as well. Not for a bol, but just for my homestead. I have seen some really great deals, unfortunately i am not in a position to make a offer/ buy, for about a year.

i have seen..  

mobile home, 50, acres, all wooded, with large pond, and cave, $50.000

log home, on 100 acres, with barn, $250.000

4 bedroom brick house, on 30 acres, $130.000

plus lots of others. those just stood out the most. I want to buy land, and build my house. I want at least 10 acres.  with big buffers between neighbors.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:53:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My vote is bigger parcel.
It's more area under your direct control.
With the smaller parcel, during hunting season, if you're next to huntable state or town land, you can have some yahoo setting up his stand two feet off your property line. Or twenty feet inside your property line. Or setting off his tannerite deer chasers. Or whatever.

When I started looking for a house, I searched for low density (farm or mountainy area).
5-50 acre plots, nice area.
Decent distance from nearest city
NOT next to state land.
NOT next to hunting A-frames or singlewides on 1/2 acre plots. They invite burglers.
Low taxes.
NOT the new up and coming area. Douchebags from NYC/NNJ are spreading out and bringing big city thinking with them.
In my town, people whose parents moved here are considered outsiders.
I'm the new guy and will be until the day I die. And that's ok.
Because they note EVERY car that goes by. In a spot that abuts state land, you won't find that.

Maybe I'll add more later. I just saw a deer walk by (opening day of rifle season).

I agree with what he said except "NOT the new up and coming area."
You can make a fortune if you buy in the hot area.
Sure you'd have to relocate your BOL in a few years; but the up side would be lots of $$$$.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the idea of property abutting state or federal land - you can hunt and forage on it without paying the taxes on it.

Other important considerations: southern exposure, a source of clean surface water, good soil.

We lucked into 52 acres of mixed hardwoods and a five-acre pasture with a southern exposure, two springs and 1,100 feet of frontage on a nice pond, on a dead-end town-maintained road. It's close to ideal.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:09:09 PM EDT
[#5]
More land.  I just moved this past spring to 10 acres... Sounds big when you live on 1 acre... but it's not that big.  I can hunt on my own land and I love that, but I do wish it was 40 acres or so instead.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top