Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2007 5:57:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/1/2007 6:49:21 PM EDT by DangerousNinja]
I bought a 100 pound propane container because Fleet Farm had them on sale for $80. 1 problem. The 100 pound container doesn't have the

same hook up as the 20 pounders. Can I just buy an adaptor to hook it up to my grill and other propane items I own? If so could someone post a

pic of what the converter looks like? What is the shelf life on a propane container if I fill it and don't touch it? Can I store it for 2 years or 10? TIA.

D_N

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:05:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:09:07 PM EDT
odd... I hooked up my heater head right to my 100 lber w/no adapters needed.

+1 on till it rusts thru
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:24:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:32:08 PM EDT
Some #100 bottles do have the plain old gas grill type connection, others have the one like yours. Any place that can fill your bottle should be able to get you the adapter, or you can probably change the valve, I'm not sure about cost on that though.

As far as shelf life, we cleaned out my grandpa's storage building a while back and found a half full bottle from an RV he had gotten rid of in 1990, it worked like a champ, no problems. I am in north central Texas, it gets into the 100's in the summer and usually below freezing for a while in the winter. If that won't hurt it after that long nothing should.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:41:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Waldo:

Originally Posted By FlatlinesUp:
odd... I hooked up my heater head right to my 100 lber w/no adapters needed.

I think he's talking about the external threads for the newer OPD 20 lb tanks/ grills, ect.. The 100 lb tanks still have just the internal threads (AFAIK) Most OPD tanks have both internal and external threads while the larger tanks just have the old internals.

The forklift we have at work has a 30 or 40 pound bottle and the connection on it is different from the external thread on an OPD bottle. Might be what he has.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:47:13 PM EDT
I used to fill these as part of my job, and all 25 of ours (even the brand new ones) had the regular internal threads.

Can you post a picture of them?
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:55:05 PM EDT
My story about using old propane....

I cooked 1 Thanksgiving turkeys with propane that we bought for my dad in 1981. We bought him a grill with a 20 lb tank in the spring of 1981. He cooked one time on it and decided he hated propane grills. It sat on his back porch under the eave and basically rusted away. Last year I brought the tank home along with another I found in the barn. Both have run flawlessly.

The main problem with them is that you have to use cookers with old style connectors on them. When this bottle runs out, I will have to get new connections for my old fish cook.

STORE AWAY!!!! It will outlive you.

Doc
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:31:55 PM EDT
I've had a 100 lb bottle in my generator room (for heating the diesel engine before starting if necessary) for 8 years. It still looks brand new.

If you plan on 'storing' one get some good oil based metal paint like Rustoleum and paint the entire bottle. Put 3 coats on the base as it tends to scrape & subsequently rust when moved. Then apply a rubber edging to the base edges to prevent moisture from getting to the metal.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 9:18:24 PM EDT
You can get the adapter at wallyworld, bought one and a 20' hose a couple of months ago.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 9:27:44 PM EDT
Depends on the tank.
It may be a liquid valve in which case it has male threads not female like the old style vapor tanks.
Either way go to a propane provider not wally world and they'll make you an adapter.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:03:28 PM EDT
Propane/butane/methane will last indefinitely. Unlike other petroleum products these are the basic building blocks, and can't break down into anything more elementary.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:11:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/1/2007 9:39:05 AM EDT by aaron_fsp]
$80 is a good deal for a new 100lb tank. I'd go to a local propane
company and get an adapter assembled and pressure tested,
so the job is done during the fill up. The last thing you want is to really need that propane and go to hook up and find a very slow leak emptied the tank...which is easy especially if you store it in an outbuilding.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 2:07:38 AM EDT
My local LP dealer will give you a tank if buy the 100 lbs of LP. Id get one but Im sure I cant store it next to the garage. Some fire code and explosives thing with the city. Go figure
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:44:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/1/2007 10:55:00 AM EDT by aaron_fsp]
Ask someone else at the city hall. Some places might still have an exception for 100lb tanks next to structures. Dual 100lb propane tanks connected by a tee to the line used to be fairly common.

ETA: insurance cos are another story.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:51:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By KEA:
I've had a 100 lb bottle in my generator room (for heating the diesel engine before starting if necessary) for 8 years. It still looks brand new.

If you plan on 'storing' one get some good oil based metal paint like Rustoleum and paint the entire bottle. Put 3 coats on the base as it tends to scrape & subsequently rust when moved. Then apply a rubber edging to the base edges to prevent moisture from getting to the metal.

Rhino-liner and/or Line-X pickup truck bed coatings work fantastic for this!
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 1:00:29 PM EDT
The 30-40# forklift tanks do have a different thread. Mr heater makes the part you need to convert yours, should just be the internal threads. IIRC Ace hardwares sell or can get them also. I have also had 2 100# stored for about 7 yrs for my generator fired it up a couple of weeks ago with no problem.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 3:27:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By freerider04:
I used to fill these as part of my job, and all 25 of ours (even the brand new ones) had the regular internal threads.

Can you post a picture of them?

These are #40.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:43:09 PM EDT
The 40 lb tank is a liquid withdrawal tank for a forlift, generator, floor machine, etc. The older female only connector is about 1" in diameter and called a POL (for Prest-O-Lite I think), and is standard for vapor withdrawl. The bigger Acme (flat top) threads on 20lb tanks are part of the mandatory upgrade to 20 lb tanks to provide some overfill protection. The inside of the acme is threaded for the POL male fitting. However a female Acme on a grill will not fit an old 20 lb POL only tank (that was intentional). I know you can buy the adaptors or piece them together. West Marine or RV dealers should have the parts.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:02:14 PM EDT
Top Top