Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2011 12:16:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov]
Been interested in going to Africa with my father, and while looking, I notice that there are no semi-autos allowed in many places.  I like the .223 caliber for smaller stuff, but was wondering if anyone knew of AR-15 uppers that are bolt-action?  I understand that I can plug the gas port and run it single shot or buy a side charger, but was more interested in a bolt, or straight back bolt action.  Does anyone make one?

Link Posted: 1/19/2011 11:45:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a bolt action in .223?
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 11:46:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I think an AR15 chambered in either 458 Socom or 50 Beowulf (modified to be "bolt action" if needed) would be a great rifle for Africa.

Of course, a semi-auto AR15 in either of these calibers would be even better.

Link Posted: 1/19/2011 11:47:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#3]
For what, hunting in Africa?

.50BMG upper...

Link Posted: 1/19/2011 11:54:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I love ARs and I have thought that one could build a very lightweight and accurate bolt AR.  Essentially I guess it would just be a Tubb 2000.  But in the spirit of Africa you need a wood stock bolt gun with good glass and leather sling.  Along with some safari shirts!!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 11:54:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By 103:

Get a bolt action in .223?

That is where my train of thought is headed, but since I have some extra lowers, and I can carry one lower and 5 uppers and only have 1 "gun" to register, do paperwork on, and pay for, I wanted to see if there were other avenues to pursue.  A Blazer LRS would be nice, and comparable, but don't have the $2K startup for one.

Link Posted: 1/19/2011 11:56:01 PM EDT
[#6]
You may want to post this question in the British HTF.  They use straight-pull uppers.
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 12:21:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I too am headed to africa. I have an upper in 25collins, and one in 452collins... Two of the cartridges ill be introducing over the next year. I have had to invest in a california legal lower, one that has no magwell. I now have it so it locks yhe bolt open after every round reliably and have a second round right beside the ejection port... Its not going to be fast, but itll still be something i built. What are you planning to shoot with the 223?
Youll turn a dik dik inside out with anything but a fmj... The last time we went, we had a 22-250, the only bullets worth a nickel were 69 grainers that expanded a little slower, and loaded modestly.
This year were gonna take 2 blue wildebeest, a kudu and a waterbuck each... A warthog if we cross paths too.
Good luck bro.. but honestly, i reccommend a bolt gun unless u are prepared to spend some cash
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 1:12:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By imajeep:

I too am headed to africa. I have an upper in 25collins, and one in 452collins... Two of the cartridges ill be introducing over the next year. I have had to invest in a california legal lower, one that has no magwell. I now have it so it locks the bolt open after every round reliably and have a second round right beside the ejection port... Its not going to be fast, but it'll still be something i built. What are you planning to shoot with the 223?

You'll turn a dik dik inside out with anything but a fmj... The last time we went, we had a 22-250, the only bullets worth a nickel were 69 grainers that expanded a little slower, and loaded modestly.

This year were gonna take 2 blue wildebeest, a kudu and a waterbuck each... A warthog if we cross paths too.

Good luck bro.. but honestly, i reccommend a bolt gun unless u are prepared to spend some cash

Are you allowed detachable magazines?  I saw an article in varmint hunters magazine about antelope culling, and thought it would be interesting.  Want to build the gun just to have if I get a chance to travel to the less priviledged countries.

Link Posted: 1/20/2011 2:44:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#9]
There was a gent that took a manually operated AR-15 to Africa in the gun mags a year or two ago.  Don't remember if the gas tube was installed or not.  

Now I've been to Africa, first time back in 86' and was armed with a XM16E1 with either blanks or one 20 rd mag of M193 (exercise) and lived in the bush for a month as part of the food chain.  I've run into the big 5 all within pistol range during my last trip to Kenya.  That time rank allowed me to carry a M14 (in lieu of my M4A1) with a M9 as backup.  Granted there are quite a few things that the .223/5.56 can do but when in the brush, things track and will hunt you, so I like something with a bit more punch on the dark continent.

CD
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 2:52:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
There was a gent that took a manually operated AR-15 to Africa in the gun mags a year or two ago.  Don't remember if the gas tube was installed or not.  

Now I've been to Africa, first time back in 86' and was armed with a XM16E1 with either blanks or one 20 rd mag of M193 (exercise) and lived in the bush for a month as part of the food chain.  I've run into the big 5 all within pistol range during my last trip to Kenya.  That time rank allowed me to carry a M14 (in lieu of my M4A1) with a M9 as backup.  Granted there are quite a few things that the .223/5.56 can do but when in the brush, things track and will hunt you, so I like something with a bit more punch on the dark continent.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Kenya_98-09a_Lioness.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Kenya_98-09b_Rhino.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Kenya_98-10a_Cape_Buffalo.jpg

CD

No doubt my Friend, no doubt. Good advice........
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 4:17:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Have you thought of a noveske switch block?  With it you can set the selector to not allow any gas through to the gun forcing you to manually operate the bolt.  Just a suggestion.
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 8:01:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 8:31:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Is 5.56 legal where you plan on going.
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 8:55:13 AM EDT
[#14]
needs more lifevest
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By Gregory_K:

Is 5.56 legal where you plan on going.

yes, but you need an alien arm to fire it.

Link Posted: 1/20/2011 9:17:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I hunted in Namibia last April and I can tell you that any rifle that smacks of military configuration will not be allowed in. For plains animals there is no better caliber than .338 win mag. The safari guides hate Weatherby rifles and all the super magnum latest and greatest calibers that Boyd Coddington will rave about in G&A magazine. Big bullets with good penetration and shot placement impress them more than how fast your bullet leaves the muzzle. Barnes Triple Shock bullets performed awesome and retained most weight when recovered. Stay away from Bergers bullets. They cost a friend of mine a couple of trophy animals.
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 9:44:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By sgtglock1:
I hunted in Namibia last April and I can tell you that any rifle that smacks of military configuration will not be allowed in.

I agree here avoiding the appearance of wrong is a rule in Africa you do not wnat to lokk like you are doing something out of place it takes large bribes to get anything .gov done and the prisons are worse than hell.

Get a bolt action in 270 at the min 30-06 or larger is better for plains game learn where to shoot the African game the placment is different .

DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING THAT LOOKS SEMI OR FA

there is a little used safari forum in the outdoors tab you can use as well
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 9:58:35 AM EDT
[#18]
You also might want to avoid wearing any woodland or military type cammo. It will make you look like a merc or a poacher, both of which are not looked upon with admiration in the dark continent.
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 11:58:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I agree with sgtglock on this one. Wearing tan, brown, or OD works great in the Bush. Avoid black military boots also. A good Goretex mid top or hightop hiking boot will not draw attention either.
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#20]
G-3
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 12:02:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Combat driver, the hunt that was talked about was from inside a vehicle,
with several hunters, PHs, and skinners.  It's not like I would be
stalking an antelope a mile from the vehicle.  Most shooting was from
the window or a bench on top of the truck.  I still haven't decided, but
it seems that an AR is not in the best manner, but don't know if the
caliber will cause problems yet. Guess I have to think about a Savage in
.22-250, 243 or 308 and some AICS mags for travel
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 4:19:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Which country/countries will you be hunting and which game will you be hunting?

Your PH should be your best advisor about caliber, action, and optics.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:07:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Jack] [#23]
Originally Posted By sgtglock1:
I hunted in Namibia last April and I can tell you that any rifle that smacks of military configuration will not be allowed in. For plains animals there is no better caliber than .338 win mag. The safari guides hate Weatherby rifles and all the super magnum latest and greatest calibers that Boyd Coddington will rave about in G&A magazine. Big bullets with good penetration and shot placement impress them more than how fast your bullet leaves the muzzle. Barnes Triple Shock bullets performed awesome and retained most weight when recovered. Stay away from Bergers bullets. They cost a friend of mine a couple of trophy animals.

My understanding is that automatics are prohibited and the AR15 could be imported but good luck convincing the AA hire at the police station in the airport...

Craig Boddington, not  Boyd Coddington. And he's moderated his opinion as he ages––he likes the 7mm Mauser again.

But yes, use heavy bullets at low velocity. I like the Norma Oryx as well as the Barnes.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:05:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Depends on what country you are going to hunt in. In RSA you are probably going have any military looking rifle confiscated at the SAPS office at the airport when you attempt to get an import permit for it. And you won't be getting it back. And you might get arrested. It just depends who is working behind the desk when you arrive. I have seen them throw a 7 page application in the trash and make a hunter go to the back of the line because something was slightly wrong with the way they filled it out. It can take several hours to get back to the front of the line.

Namibia is pretty laid back. You might get it through there.

Zimbabwe, who knows, things there change by the minute. But of all the African countries I would not want to spend any time in a Zimbabwe jail.

Whichever country you decide to hunt, contact their police department and make specific inquiries about importing your bolt action AR-15. Send photos and try to get a signed statement and a phone number of a police official who gives your idea the OK.

Another thing to consider is whether or not your flight is going to be transiting through U.K. or an European country. They might have laws prohibiting your weapon of choice.

Getting your manually operated AR-15 into an African country is going to be more of an adventure than the hunt itself. Good Luck!
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 9:21:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Better late than never I guess :D

AR15's in Africa...bad idea. Like others have said, anything that even remotely resembles a military weapon will get you extra scrutiny and to be honest, Africa is the last place you want that. Even a few hours in a holding cell in South Africa is a life changing event.
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 9:36:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Of all countries, Zimbabwe would probably be the easiest to get an AR into. Namibia, don't even try. Not sure about RSA.

.223 may or may not be legal depending on where you're going.
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 11:31:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
Of all countries, Zimbabwe would probably be the easiest to get an AR into. Namibia, don't even try. Not sure about RSA.

.223 may or may not be legal depending on where you're going.

Ar15's are legal in SA now, but the paperwork is a nightmare and govt officials are notoriously shortsighted. I got into trouble transporting my deceased grandma's 410 shitgun TO the police station to get it put in their safe until my license was approved. Spent a tense few hrs in the slammer.
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 7:49:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bubbatheredneck] [#28]
Go find a brick and smash your face with it.  Less pain than trying to trying to configure a AR15 to be acceptable and appropriate  to hunt in Africa.

Get a model 70 in .375 H&H and be done with it.

Link Posted: 6/2/2013 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#29]
go ahead
Link Posted: 6/3/2013 4:15:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Headless_T_Gunner:
Depends on what country you are going to hunt in. In RSA you are probably going have any military looking rifle confiscated at the SAPS office at the airport when you attempt to get an import permit for it. And you won't be getting it back. And you might get arrested. It just depends who is working behind the desk when you arrive. I have seen them throw a 7 page application in the trash and make a hunter go to the back of the line because something was slightly wrong with the way they filled it out. It can take several hours to get back to the front of the line.

Namibia is pretty laid back. You might get it through there.

Zimbabwe, who knows, things there change by the minute. But of all the African countries I would not want to spend any time in a Zimbabwe jail.

Whichever country you decide to hunt, contact their police department and make specific inquiries about importing your bolt action AR-15. Send photos and try to get a signed statement and a phone number of a police official who gives your idea the OK.

Another thing to consider is whether or not your flight is going to be transiting through U.K. or an European country. They might have laws prohibiting your weapon of choice.

Getting your manually operated AR-15 into an African country is going to be more of an adventure than the hunt itself. Good Luck!

My one trip to Namibia would agree with your assessment.  The clerk was too busy playing solitaire to really  give a crap about what was in my gun case.

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 4:43:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Don't waste Your time.... get a couple good bolt guns that You like and be done with it. Focus more on the hunt itself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top