User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 12:03:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Noticed the following on the TGIF site:

NOTICE - Legacy + Prime = TGIF
Legacy server merged/redirected to prime.
Apr 25, 2021 @ 6:15 AM CDT

I haven't spent the time since setting up my hotspots to learn anything more about DMR. Does this mean I'm going to have to change something in my Configuration page? Did ARFCOM get migrated to TGIF Prime? I won't even ask what the deal is with the FCS 556 TG vs TGIF 556 TG,
View Quote

Guess we'll find out soon enough. I was hoping they forgot about migrating 556.

FCS 556 is just another Arf room, as is FCS 336 (last I checked).

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I updated my droidstar app with the 16 digit hotspot key, required for TGIF Prime, and not seeing me key up at Prime last heard.

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Can someone post a tldr on the prime vs legacy thing, I haven't been on 556 in a long time but want to be able to.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I updated my pi-star, I guess I'd already done whatever I needed to do as I just talked to K9Bob for a second and it was working fine. Hadn't been on TGIF for probably 6mo or more. I used to let it run in the background while working but the audio started to drive me nuts so I turned it off and more or less forgot about it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 12:38:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So am I gonna need to make any changes to my OpenSpot 3 or my radio?
View Quote

Your radio, no..

Edit: It seems no changes need to be made after our QSO just now with you and K9-Bob.

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 12:46:09 AM EDT
[#7]
The original walkthrough for setting up your pi-star on TGIF Prime
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 1:04:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 1:33:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ok well I haven’t done anything and had it on awhile ago. Heard some of the usual people on so it seems to be working. Didn’t Tx though.
View Quote

I edited my my post above, about configuring your OS3...after our QSO, it seems it's working fine.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The original walkthrough for setting up your pi-star on TGIF Prime
View Quote
I had previously registered for a prime username / password but never used it for anything. The big security passcode on the TGIF account page isn't in my hotspot, I never did anything to it. Following the link above my DMR network is pointed at tgif.network still and has the legacy password. IDK...
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 4:31:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry I missed the net last night. I was in the middle of stringing up a 600 ohm ladder line doublet that can be taken down quickly to hide from the commi-HOA. Then I discovered my internet was screwed because the cable company "upgraded speeds." Then, to top it off, TMO decided to interrupt my cell service (never had a single problem with Sprint before the takeover.) It wasn't until I got up this morning that I figured out I never unplugged my router last night during the repetitive power cycles trying to get back online.

How did the TGIF connections work out last night? Did everyone have to reconfigure for Prime, with the generated hotspot security password?

I may goof with it later tonight. I'm recovering from antenna play again today, and then working on my brother's truck in between. Some bicycle loser drove an icepick into two of his brand new 35" tires, and two of his wife's car tires. He landed up buying four 37" tires because no one had 35s in stock, then there was some rubbing I had to clearance. Right as he was leaving, his steering wheel "popped" and began wiggling (must not have been seated when the steering wheel was replaced six months ago.) Fixed that before he finally got to drive home, lol.

Ranting off...
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sorry I missed the net last night. I was in the middle of stringing up a 600 ohm ladder line doublet that can be taken down quickly to hide from the commi-HOA. Then I discovered my internet was screwed because the cable company "upgraded speeds." Then, to top it off, TMO decided to interrupt my cell service (never had a single problem with Sprint before the takeover.) It wasn't until I got up this morning that I figured out I never unplugged my router last night during the repetitive power cycles trying to get back online.

How did the TGIF connections work out last night? Did everyone have to reconfigure for Prime, with the generated hotspot security password?

I may goof with it later tonight. I'm recovering from antenna play again today, and then working on my brother's truck in between. Some bicycle loser drove an icepick into two of his brand new 35" tires, and two of his wife's car tires. He landed up buying four 37" tires because no one had 35s in stock, then there was some rubbing I had to clearance. Right as he was leaving, his steering wheel "popped" and began wiggling (must not have been seated when the steering wheel was replaced six months ago.) Fixed that before he finally got to drive home, lol.

Ranting off...
View Quote

Everything went fine, and better than your day yesterday Hope today is better, man..

Good call on the stealth antenna, hope that works as intended.

The bottom line is you don't have to change anything, but it is highly recommended you update your hotspot with the registration security key from TGIF, so it can't be hijacked by commies.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 10:15:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Great net Thursday! 12 check ins with NCS.

Upcoming in future nets, feel free to mention any gear to buy-sell-trade if so inclined.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 8:38:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Net 2nite
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 10:52:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Chinese rocket body parts burned up during deorbit and took out a fan dipole... or so I heard.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:55:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Chinese rocket body parts burned up during deorbit and took out a fan dipole... or so I heard.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/20/2021 7:07:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 11:19:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Might miss the net tonight. My OpenSpot 3 seems to be frozen. Can’t shut it off or anything. LED status is blinking normally but nada.
View Quote

You were in like Flynn.

Dusted off the 878--man that radio has some freat receive audio.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 8:53:03 PM EDT
[#19]
bumparoo, back on c4fm2dmr for the net at least, having an issue with inputting my tgif key into dmr mode on my hotspot, works when I cross-mode ?
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 8:54:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
bumparoo, back on c4fm2dmr for the net at least, having an issue with inputting my tgif key into dmr mode on my hotspot, works when I cross-mode ?
View Quote

Make sure that you don't have a space in front of the Hotspot Security key when you do the copy and paste.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 3:45:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Make sure that you don't have a space in front of the Hotspot Security key when you do the copy and paste.
View Quote

Will do if I set it up again for straight DMR, I bet that's the ticket!
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 1:32:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Net day bump. Preliminary topic, GMRS info, tips, etc.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 3:56:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 12:15:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFMJleLOzsw

Yesterday’s discussion. Or part of it at least.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFMJleLOzsw

Yesterday’s discussion. Or part of it at least.

That guy is on point.I like how he put this:

It's not like new laws have been passed, they are just arbitrarily changing their fucking mind.

Clowns.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 1:36:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:39:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Got my DMR ID and am in the database, just waiting on TGIF to agree that I’m in the database.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:02:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Got my DMR ID and am in the database, just waiting on TGIF to agree that I’m in the database.
View Quote

@BravoOtt

PM/email me if you need to test anything.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 8:06:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

@BravoOtt

PM/email me if you need to test anything.
View Quote

Well I’m all accepted by TGIF and everyone else but the phone app keeps rejecting me

EDIT: All good now, likely a combo of impatience and lack of knowledge on my end.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 8:31:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Well I’m all accepted by TGIF and everyone else but the phone app keeps rejecting me https://i.ibb.co/ccg2s99/E8207689-15-B0-462-A-BC4-A-7-D291-D2-F4-A47.jpg

EDIT: All good now, likely a combo of impatience and lack of knowledge on my end.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/1/2021 7:51:48 PM EDT
[#31]
late bump for the net tonight..
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 11:45:08 PM EDT
[#32]
@Keith1980

You weren't kidding, I connected to your AO repeaters through a local echolink-linked repeater using DTMF very cool! A local ham then connected to his Allstar node through the repeater which was linked to Hubnet in the UK.

That really opens up a helluva lot of possibilities.

Link Posted: 7/2/2021 8:39:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Net 2-nite
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Tested fine and setting a reminder, I’d like to get one successful net in this week
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 8:01:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Not yet, have only done the SSB net before. Did spot myself active while transmitting earlier and I’ll do an echo before i join in
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 8:11:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 8:32:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I’m available now for a test. Only have 10 min or so. Gotta put the kids to bed and then I’ll be back for the net.
View Quote

Thanks again for the help, calmed the nerves after the parrot test was stuttering like hell.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 8:33:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 10:35:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Is there a video or document out there that walks someone through setup of this on the DMR radio? I have a GD-77 and an MMDVM hotspot. I think the hot spot is setup ok but for the exception of not having put the offset in. I followed the configuration tutorial by hamradioconcepts on youtube. The hotspot which I got off eBay is not marked with an offset and I figure I can do that after I have verified the setup works.

So as far as the GD-77, I've found a few videos but they all walk you through setting it up to connect to a DMR repeater. I'm assuming the setup is different for connecting to a hotspot. For example it asks for a call ID. Is that 556? I have no idea.

I do have my DMR ID so that part of it is done. Any tips would be very much appreciated! I'm pretty good with the computer end of this but the DMR end..... not so much.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:13:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Is there a video or document out there that walks someone through setup of this on the DMR radio? I have a GD-77 and an MMDVM hotspot. I think the hot spot is setup ok but for the exception of not having put the offset in. I followed the configuration tutorial by hamradioconcepts on youtube. The hotspot which I got off eBay is not marked with an offset and I figure I can do that after I have verified the setup works.

So as far as the GD-77, I've found a few videos but they all walk you through setting it up to connect to a DMR repeater. I'm assuming the setup is different for connecting to a hotspot. For example it asks for a call ID. Is that 556? I have no idea.

I do have my DMR ID so that part of it is done. Any tips would be very much appreciated! I'm pretty good with the computer end of this but the DMR end..... not so much.
View Quote

@rssc

Sorry been busy/ and some medical bs going on.

The offset is only present on duplex hotspot. A screenshot of your configuration page would be helpful.

We can get you dialed in.

This is a good place to start: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/DMR-Talk-Group-for-Arfcom-Hams/22-694377/
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm either going to miss or join late tonight, worker's wife was in the hospital and I convinced her to please go see her and let me stay for a double rather than have her stuck here worried for 6 hours.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

@rssc

Sorry been busy/ and some medical bs going on.

The offset is only present on duplex hotspot. A screenshot of your configuration page would be helpful.

We can get you dialed in.

This is a good place to start: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/DMR-Talk-Group-for-Arfcom-Hams/22-694377/
View Quote

Thank you so much Alembic. I have a duplex hotspot but am setting it up as simplex because most of the tutorials I've seen online are for simplex. Figured I might as well go with as easy a configuration as simply possible and also read that a duplex hotspot will work as simplex hotspot if configured that way. I did register with TGIF and am verified. I followed the tutorial where you generate your own password and enter that in the expert mode configuration on PiStar. As far as the GD77, I configured that according to another tutorial I found online. The documentation for the radio seems pretty horrible. I am able to select TG556 on the radio but do not hear anything. Please let me know if you need screenshots of any other areas in PiStar.

Link Posted: 7/15/2021 9:25:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 9:16:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Thank you so much Alembic. I have a duplex hotspot but am setting it up as simplex because most of the tutorials I've seen online are for simplex. Figured I might as well go with as easy a configuration as simply possible and also read that a duplex hotspot will work as simplex hotspot if configured that way. I did register with TGIF and am verified. I followed the tutorial where you generate your own password and enter that in the expert mode configuration on PiStar. As far as the GD77, I configured that according to another tutorial I found online. The documentation for the radio seems pretty horrible. I am able to select TG556 on the radio but do not hear anything. Please let me know if you need screenshots of any other areas in PiStar.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/25848/1_png-2014965.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/25848/2_png-2014966.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/25848/3_png-2014967.JPG
View Quote

The only thing I would try is under DMR configuration, enter your 16 digit key from TGIF in the hotspot security field.

And take that password OUT of the expert mode and use Passw0rd or passw0rd instead.

Is your radio applying a transmit offset? Can you make a manual dial to 556 (group call)?

If nothing else, you can use droidstar app (testflight on ios) on your cell phone to get in until your set up.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 9:26:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Picture of my waterfall per what we were talking about. The Cuban military started this after Tuesday when local Miami hams started talking to Cuba.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/262514/13EDE939-4FAD-48FB-A127-9E4A4E505B2D-2014986.jpg
View Quote

Ah yes, that pulsing drone you played was interesting..

Can the citizens use hotspots, curious as to their cellular infrastructure?

Link Posted: 7/16/2021 9:28:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm either going to miss or join late tonight, worker's wife was in the hospital and I convinced her to please go see her and let me stay for a double rather than have her stuck here worried for 6 hours.
View Quote

Absolutely. We'll catch you next week.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 9:55:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 1:55:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Anyone know how much data DMR uses? My mother in law gave me her T-Mobile hotspot and it has 2GB a month of 4G LTE and after that it slows to 2G speeds. Figured I’d use it for mobile DMR only and when I Google I get all kinds of different answers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Anyone know how much data DMR uses? My mother in law gave me her T-Mobile hotspot and it has 2GB a month of 4G LTE and after that it slows to 2G speeds. Figured I’d use it for mobile DMR only and when I Google I get all kinds of different answers.

I don't know but Curtis and I discussed it before, hard to say since straming videos etc. on the same devices makes it hard to determine.

The thread on Riddit puts out some YMMV data, at least.

Depends an awful lot on how busy the talkgroups are that you're monitoring. For the last month, averaging 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, monitoring two talk groups, occasional use, and one hour of a net, I used 49mb. The most I've used in a month in the past 6 months is 80mb.

I did a bunch of this a while back, here are my results.
Idle: 5.7MB/hr (with admin dashboard open in tab)
Idle: 2MB/hr (without admin dashboard open in tab)
Semi busy: 6.7MB/hr (without dashboard etc)
Busy: 25MB/hr (with dashboard, etc)
So, JUST the admin dashboard open is let's call it 4MB/hour. So that last number, busy, 21MB/hr or so. That was on CB19/TAC310 and was continuously busy.

Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top