Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/23/2020 3:47:02 PM
Posted: 3/30/2015 2:21:55 PM EDT
Been looking for some options for APRS messaging.
Sharing some links for sources, and, hoping that some here have

tried out them.
TNC2 Bluetooth enabled KISS TNC for Android.

APRS ap for Android.
Our local ham club is considering APRS for the messaging capability, inexpensive being

one of the metrics..

My family has three of the Kenwood TM-D710, which work great, but pretty darn expensive

if purchasing just for the APRS capability.

An inexpensive Android + a KISS TNC + Boafeng UV5R would seem to be one way

to achieve fairly easy APRS messaging capability without breaking the bank.

I think that the BT capability is neat, stash the radio/TNC combo out of the way

and use the Android without being tethered to them.

http://9w2svt.blogspot.com/2014/06/the-network-weather-station-aprs-tnc.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/APRS-TNC-tracker-net-digipeater-weather-station-GPS-IGATE-bluetooth-APRSdroid-/111343736350

http://www.ebay.com/itm/APRS-GPS-TNC-51TNC-tracker-Android-phone-APRSdroid-bluetooth-battery-/111620354804?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fd1772f4
http://www.ebay.com/itm/APRS-GPS-TNC-51TNC-tracker-Car-PC-Phone-APRSdroid-bluetooth-module-/111620359385?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fd1784d9
http://www.ebay.com/itm/APRS-TNC-Repeater-Control-board-Motorola-GM300-M120-GM950-SM50-16pin-/111622885939?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fd3e1233
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-Maxtrac-32-channels-VHF-45-watt-HAM-MURS-radio-APRS-programmed-16-pin-/161630490192?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a1ed8e50

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:48:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/30/2015 8:12:07 PM EDT by 444]
I have never seen some of those devices before. I may order one of those Bluetooth TNCs.

I just did all this using a Raspberry Pi but I have decided for the moment that while it was cool and fun, this Bluetooth tnc seems to be more practical for most applications.

I have a couple AP510s that I have briefly played around with them using APRSDroid via Bluetooth. I didn't try to message with them though. I just looked at the received signals and never really explored what could be done.

I hope we can get some more input on this subject.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:54:43 PM EDT
Several of us have the Mobilinkd TNC and cheap Android phone for APRS.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:29:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/30/2015 9:33:39 PM EDT by 444]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KB7DX:
Several of us have the Mobilinkd TNC and cheap Android phone for APRS.
View Quote

This post prompted me to listen to the FO Time podcast covering the Mobilinkd TNC and naturally I ordered one.

Only loosely related to the topic at hand but as I was listening to the podcast I was straining to hear. I have a scanner running 24/7 and my tablet wasn't loud enough. I was pleased to see the little icon that indicated that I could play the podcast through my Chromecast/TV.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:29:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/30/2015 11:30:53 PM EDT by Bloencustoms]

Originally Posted By 444:

I have never seen some of those devices before. I may order one of those Bluetooth TNCs.

I just did all this using a Raspberry Pi but I have decided for the moment that while it was cool and fun, this Bluetooth tnc seems to be more practical for most applications.

I have a couple AP510s that I have briefly played around with them using APRSDroid via Bluetooth. I didn't try to message with them though. I just looked at the received signals and never really explored what could be done.

I hope we can get some more input on this subject.
View Quote
The same company that makes the TNC PI makes a TNC X that can be upgraded to use Bluetooth. It is bigger than the Mobilinkd, but it has a lot more options. That said, I have one of the Mobilinkd TNC 2s and it works great with aprsdroid and a Baofeng. After finally getting Xastir working on the pi, I can use that as my home station and use the Mobilinkd/Baofeng/Android phone combo for mobile use.

I got the Mobilinkd first, and it whetted my appetite for more aprs gear and that's how I ended up with the Pi.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:40:27 AM EDT
Not a lot of reviews out there of this thing.  But I want one
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:47:45 AM EDT
I have the Mobilinkd TNC2-works like a CHAMP with my $9 Droid Phone.

I have the TinyTrak4 that I finally got working with a great deal of help from a UziCCW (what a patient man!).  

There are a few of us trying to get the APRS thing working around here.  It's so Dead, I can't be heard with a Full Power Mobile rig

anyways, we looked hard at the TNCx but settled on the TinyTrak4.  I've posted some links and good quotes in the following post:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/679643_APRS___SCW_decides_to_build_out_in_local_AO__help_thread_.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/678795_Mobilinkd_TNC2_Now_Avail_for_Pre_Order_with__10_off_.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/679918_TinyTrak4_Config_Help_.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/679472_Blue_is_the_New_Green_is_the_New_Orange_is_the_New_Black___.html

It's actually been (a Great Deal) harder than I anticipated.  The TinyTrak website leads you to beleive that it's Plug and Play...Uhhh-Not! (more like plug and pray)
Unfortunately there is nobody local that we could call on...but the help fro the Left Coast has been stellar.
The TNCx was about $50 more on the front end, and I'm not sure the additional cost (and possible ease of use) wouldn't have been worth it.
The TinyTrak4 has a config software that I've never been able to get to work properly, so I'm left to program in Terminal-
It's been a Very Frustrating few weeks, and I'm still not up and running (being heard on .fi)
are there better options than the TT4? Probably, but I snagged what I could afford and here I am
I'm still not ready to give up though.  We're determined to get APRS running in our County.  The 'tactical' messaging is what we're really after....

oh...I built a few of these for us to try out once we get everything up and going-
big stick

SCW
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:13:59 AM EDT
I bought one of the Mobilinkd 2 and it was a piece of cake to get it to work with AprsDroid using both my Baofeng and Kenwood V71A.

Now I am interested in regular packet communication on vhf, not aprs.
Will the Mobilinkd 2 work for this too?
If so, what software should I try?
My laptop has Bluetooth, so it should talk to the TNC.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:23:33 AM EDT
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/mobilinkd/info
I'm thinking there is someone either doing that or working to make that happen....maybe even an afrcom'er (sorry, it's Monday)
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:32:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SCWolverine:
I'm thinking there is someone either doing that or working to make that happen....maybe even an afrcom'er (sorry, it's Monday)
View Quote

This thread from February suggests it's not ready yet for that

Which is unfortunate because that was my interest with the mobilinkd once I got one working with APRS.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:40:00 AM EDT
http://www.amateurradio.com/fldigi-ported-over-to-android/

Maybe it's this?  FLDIGI ported to Android?
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:09:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/31/2015 1:14:54 PM EDT by 444]
Originally Posted By JBFJ40:

Which is unfortunate because that was my interest with the mobilinkd once I got one working with APRS.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Not exactly.
What he said is that there is not SOFTWARE that runs on Android to work packet. The TNC isn't the issue. Go to THIS page to read about what a KISS TNC is for further information.

The use of the Mobilinkd TNC for Packet is also briefly addressed in the FO Time Podcast interview about the Moblinkd TNC.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:14:35 PM EDT

Not exactly. What he said is that there is not SOFTWARE that runs on Android to work packet. The TNC isn't the issue. Go to THIS page to read about what a KISS TNC is for further information.

The use of the Mobilinkd TNC for Packet is also briefly addressed in the FO Time Podcast interview about the Moblinkd TNC.

View All Quotes

Not exactly. What he said is that there is not SOFTWARE that runs on Android to work packet. The TNC isn't the issue. Go to THIS page to read about what a KISS TNC is for further information.

I think my post wasn't clear.  I meant that the software wasn't ready yet.  I didn't mean to imply that the mobilinkd wasn't capable.  Are we on the same page?

I'm not one for podcasts but I'll check it out per your suggestion.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:18:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/31/2015 1:19:53 PM EDT by 444]

I think my post wasn't clear.  I meant that the software wasn't ready yet.  I didn't mean to imply that the mobilinkd wasn't capable.  Are we on the same page?

View All Quotes

Yes, I didn't know what a KISS TNC was until today. I was sitting in the barber shop reading that link on my phone.
So when I read this thread, I knew what was up since I had just read about it.

So, the TNC will be capable of running regular packet. The only thing that is stopping it is that there is no Android app to use for packet (not APRS packet, regular packet).  You can use it on Windows because packet software does exist.
On the podcast, he mentions that it will work on packet, but is pretty barebones if you want to seriously operate packet.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:41:05 PM EDT
View Quote

aww, c'mon...give it a listen-Rob is a better guest than I'm a host
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:14:02 PM EDT
View All Quotes

Okay you've got a new follower on TuneIn.  The first 2 minutes sound very professional.  Nice job.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:23:58 PM EDT

Okay you've got a new follower on TuneIn.  The first 2 minutes sound very professional.  Nice job.
View All Quotes

I apologize in advance for the other 58....
thanks and enjoy!
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:09:30 PM EDT
Thanks for all the replies and info.
I think for our purposes (local club/family/emm comms/etc)

packet and APRS messaging would be great.
APRS, as it is (fairly?) easy to get going and packet as it would be nice to have

some way to store and forward messaging for when out of range or when the

channel is saturated.
Lots of reading to do.
Back story - local ham club recently received a donation of on the air

and on site repeater equipment. Two 2m repeaters, one 6m repeater, one 70cm

repeater, packet system. Already had one 2m repeater and one 70cm repeater

(which 70cm repeater is used as a linking repeater).

Packet is a UHF packet back bone and VHF packet system.

Seems to be very little use of the packet system and from what I hear, as soon

as there is heavy traffic on it (such as emm comm training) it is pretty

much useless.
Last summer we experienced a heck of a fire storm in our area and communications

were woefully inadequate. Tactical comms between hams as evacuations were needed

was ok and Health and welfare traffic afterwards was okay.

ARES at the county level, the suck, as a grudge match between

the 'Fudd hams' and the ARES and county DEM folks bore ugly fruit.

Fudds refusing to pass traffic, recording folks, etc.

Seems that volunteer operators fade away when recordings are made of emergency

traffic heat of the moment stuff and then posted on youtube with 'editorials'.
APRS in the short term seems to be one way to capitalize on tech when the volunteer base is

minimal. Packet would seem to be a more involved long term solution as far as the ability to download messages and not miss them if out of range.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:46:57 PM EDT

thanks and enjoy!
View All Quotes

thanks and enjoy!

I ordered a mobilinkd, cables for a Baofeng and FT-60r and a couple connectors in case I wanna use it with my mobile.

I blame you.  I'll set up an APRS igate for now and look forward to him figuring out how to make a modern, full powered TNC in the future.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:33:10 PM EDT
Nice

I play around with APRS all the time. I don't know what it is about it that appeals to me, but I really enjoy it.
Anyway, the point is that I have tried a lot of gear and I am thinking that this Bluetooth TNC and an Android based tablet might be the current best solution right now for utilizing all APRS has to offer. Especially mobile/portable.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 3:57:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/3/2015 3:59:03 PM EDT by 444]
I got my Mobilinkd TNC2 a few minutes ago.
It's sitting here decoding packets as we speak.

I couldn't get it to work for a few minutes and decided as a last resort I better read the manual. Found out I couldn't have the Mobilinkd app and APRSDroid both running at the same time. Turned off the config app and it fired right up. My tablet map screen is populated with all the usual APRS suspects. The HT works great in the basement with the digipeater right in the same room

It isn't transmitting a beacon for some reason, but I am sure I will get that sorted out quickly. It will transmit when I push the button to manually transmit, so it is something in APRSDRoid.

Seems very cool so far. Smaller than I pictured it. But he said on the podcast that it had to be smaller than his VX3 clone (whatever the Chinese are calling their knock off of the VX3....UV3 ?) and it is .
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 5:46:01 PM EDT
Running both programs kept me bumfuzzled for a while too
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 9:18:15 AM EDT
Could the Mobilinkd product be used to send and store text messages within the Android phone?
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:23:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By toyotaman:

Could the Mobilinkd product be used to send and store text messages within the Android phone?
View Quote
Yes, APRSdroid supports text messaging

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 11:26:06 AM EDT
Yes, I tried messaging and it works fine (I of course knew it would).

FWIW: I was pretty sure I knew why I wasn't beaconing yesterday. And I was right. You need a position or it won't beacon. My tablet doesn't have GPS, so no position, no beaconing. I just input a fixed position (my house) and it started beaconing.

Also: APRS.fi is back up with maps. This is the only way I know of to check if you are being gated ????
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 12:34:06 PM EDT

View Quote

This is the app I've been waiting for.  FLDIGI is far and away my favorite ham related program.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 12:50:02 PM EDT
I ordered my tnc2 from Mobilinkd this morning.

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 3:28:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TNC:

This is the app I've been waiting for.  FLDIGI is far and away my favorite ham related program.
View All Quotes

Tell me more. How do you use it?  With what gear/modes?
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:46:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/5/2015 9:56:10 AM EDT by 444]

View All Quotes

FLDIGI is a soundcard, digital mode, free, software package.
It has been around quite awhile and have become pretty much a fixture in amateur radio. It is very popular with ARES in addition to just casual operating because there are number of add-ons for things like the various forms used in ARES and traffic handling.

It operates most of the current digital modes. It doesn't do Pactor, or any of the Joe Taylor modes (JT65, JT9.....) but pretty much everything else.

It is available for pretty much any computer platform, now including Android. It even runs great on a Raspberry Pi.

I have used it for both HF and VHF. What equipment you need varies but it will work with any radio capable of operating on voice modes (SSB, FM)  and you obviously need a computer of some kind. The simplest way it can be used is to simply play the audio out of your radio speaker and pick up the audio with the PC microphone. Then to transmit you play the audio out of the PC speakers and pick it up with the radio microphone. This is crude, but it works. I have actually done this quite a bit using a 2 meter HT and a laptop.  Typically with a conventional radio you run audio in and out of your radio using cables. Again, it depends on what radio you have: you may run the audio from the speaker jack and the microphone connector, or you may run it from a data port on your radio if it has one. Then these cables connect to an interface such as the Tigertronics Signalink or a Soundblaster. Then another set of cables go from the interface into the computer's soundcard. Yet another option exists if your radio has a built-in sound card like many radios today have. If you have that, you connect the radio to the PC with a USB cable typically. But wait, there is more............If you have a software defined radio, you run the audio all inside the PC through virtual audio cable.  
'
Confused yet ? The point is that you can make it work with any radio you might have, on any band the radio operates on. You can even use it with just a shortwave receiver or scanner.

You can read all about it online:THIS might be a good place to start.

If you have any questions about FLDIGI or setting up your radio to use it, I am sure someone on here can help you out.
With an Android phone or tablet, you can easily try it out. Download it, do a little bit of configuring, and then just use the tablet or phone mic to pick up the audio. You will have it working in 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 11:53:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/5/2015 11:54:20 PM EDT by TNC]
Good write up 444.

My interface is dead simple. It consists of a pair of audio transformers to couple the mic and speaker jacks on my computer, and a toggle switch to key the rig. I connected it through the IC 7000 data port. I believe you could direct couple it but I wanted to be sure and avoid ground loops. I came home with the parts one Wed night, soldered furiously and checked in to the net that night.

I've just installed the android version and am disappointed to find it doesn't do PSK31. But it will do Olivia so I might try it out on the Wed net if I get home in time.

The PC version is incredibly powerful. I am still learning it, and probably use less than 30% of its capabilities. It can facilitate calibrating the sound card to WWV for perfect pitch, measuring VFO frequency against WWV (thanks for the tip 444!) and of course just about every modem known to man. Wefax is fun to watch (444 is sort of my mentor on FLDIGI, IIRC he wrote up the wefax tutorial)

It supports macros, I have one to set Olivia 16-500 for the Wed net. I believe it will key the rig via the serial interface, but I run mine manually. I just discovered the signal browser, a busy PSK waterfall can support a lot of QSO's in 3 kHz BW. It will sit patiently decoding messages, and can be set for a notification when a given string comes in.

To play with it right away, you could install it on 2 computers. Each will need a speaker and mic. Then you can send messages acoustically across the room. Trust me, chicks dig it.

PSK-fu. RTTY-fu. Dozens of macros. Features out the wazoo. Free. Joe Bob says "check it out!"

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 3:09:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By toyotaman:
I ordered my tnc2 from Mobilinkd this morning.

View Quote

My TNC2 arrived yesterday.  I was able to send out a couple of direct messages and get my station to show up on aprs.fi.  I also was able to view some local traffic.

I was just using a Baofeng connected to a rollup j-pole hanging from the second story inside the house.

My location is mostly sea level and there is a low level of APRS active locally. I think I'll have to do some equipment upgrades before getting this setup semi-permanently as a digipeter.

Until I can get an antenna up with  better elevation and gain, how would I setup  APRSdroid to function as an iGate and put the traffic I receive up onto the net?
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 4:13:41 PM EDT
I don't believe that Aprsdroid will igate yet.  That would be a cool feature to be able to have a mobile igate!

You can hook the Mobilinkd up to your PC (via bluetooth) and use a program like APRSISCE/32 (or one of many others) to act as an igate and/or digipeater
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 8:19:30 PM EDT
I just purchased one of these: Microsat WX3in1 Plus 2.0 - APRS Advanced Digipeater/I-Gate.

Was a toss up between that or the Android device for which was first.

Our local APRS high level digipeater was remove last month by the owner so this will replace it.

I have a 2m and 70cm repeater at the same site with a 5cm control link that has internet

access.

Looks like the WX3in1 will work very well for both digipeating and as an I-gate.

Hopefully anyways, and if it works well, then will go ahead with putting two other

digipeaters up at our clubs repeater sites.

Still want the mobilinkd to tinker with, just have to replace the digipeater so that

the mobilinkd has a decent APRS source.

Off topic, but, dialed in the TM-D710 for RS0ISS since the local APRS digipeater is down.

Kinda cool to see stations from over 1300 miles away showing up on the list with a

single digipeater between.

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:48:00 PM EDT
I need some recommendations for upgrading my APRS abilities with my TNC2 beyond using 5 watts with the UV-5RA.

In my location I'm able to receive plenty of traffic but the HT is not able to transmit with enough power using an external j-pole antenna to reliably beacon any other digipeters in the area.

I'd like to try a used, inexpensive mobile radio that'll interface well with the TNC2 and see if I can get APRS working better.  

The only 2 meter mobile that I own is a Radio Shack HTX-212.  It's simple and reliable but I don't know how I would interface the two.

I see that Mobilinkd sells an adapter cable for a radio with a 6 pin mini-DIN connector on it.  So if someone can recommend an inexpensive mobile that has that connector I'd appreciate it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:42:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/12/2015 10:57:59 PM EDT by 444]
TRRS – 3.5mm  TRRS  audio  connector  for Radio. 1. Tip =  Speaker (audio  input  to  TNC) 2. Ring 1 =  PTT  (with S2 to right) 3. Ring 2 =  Mic  (and PTT  with  S2 to left) 4. Sleeve  =  GND/Common

(TRRS stands for tip, ring,ring,sleeve) That is the plug that goes into the TNC.

There is no reason why you can't use the Radio Shack Rig.
You take the information above, copied from the TNC manual. You get the correct connectors for your radio's microphone and speaker jack.
You look at the manual for your radio and see what pins on the microphone connector is used for audio, push to talk, and ground.
You look at the radio manual and see how the speaker jack is wired.

Then using the information posted at the top, you match them up.

That's it. There is nothing complicated, its just audio and a switch for PTT.

You can do it. I have faith in ya.

Option 2:
Contact packet radio.com and tell them what you want to do and see if they have a cable for it. If not, will they make one ?

Option 3:
Enlist the help of a local ham to help you make your own cable.

EDIT: HERE is a link for the connectors on your radio. It specifically addresses packet radio.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:03:49 PM EDT
I ordered the OpenTracker USB the other day. I've played with the Byonics TT3's and don't really like them too much (plus it's cheaper to purchase an OpenTracker). The only thing I've been seriously looking into is adding a script to channel steer a GM300 or maybe even my primary PM400 to allow for multiple uses of radios.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:02:19 AM EDT
I'm still unable to get into any digipeaters around here.  I can receive a Mass of packets, but for whatever reason-I'm not speaking loud enough.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:41:50 AM EDT
TRRS – 3.5mm  TRRS  audio  connector  for Radio. 1. Tip =  Speaker (audio  input  to  TNC) 2. Ring 1 =  PTT  (with S2 to right) 3. Ring 2 =  Mic  (and PTT  with  S2 to left) 4. Sleeve  =  GND/Common

(TRRS stands for tip, ring,ring,sleeve) That is the plug that goes into the TNC.

There is no reason why you can't use the Radio Shack Rig.
You take the information above, copied from the TNC manual. You get the correct connectors for your radio's microphone and speaker jack.
You look at the manual for your radio and see what pins on the microphone connector is used for audio, push to talk, and ground.
You look at the radio manual and see how the speaker jack is wired.

Then using the information posted at the top, you match them up.

That's it. There is nothing complicated, its just audio and a switch for PTT.

You can do it. I have faith in ya.

Option 2:
Contact packet radio.com and tell them what you want to do and see if they have a cable for it. If not, will they make one ?

Option 3:
Enlist the help of a local ham to help you make your own cable.

EDIT: HERE is a link for the connectors on your radio. It specifically addresses packet radio.
View Quote

444, thanks for all your input.  I've enlisted the help of a local Elmer.  We're trading a completed cable for an old Android phone so we can both get a digipeter up and running.  Those links were helpful.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:56:49 AM EDT
SCWolverine

Has your station ever been iGated ? In other words do we know it is working and the issue is with signal strength or an iGate in close proximity ?

If not, are you sure the radio is transmitting ? Does the light come on (or whatever to indicate it is transmitting ?  Have you taken a second radio and listened to see if you are transmitting ?

Have you adjusted the audio level as described in the manual. Have you tried driving closer to a known iGate and see if they pick up your signal ?

Point being, you arn't clear if you have a problem with the Radio/TNC/cable or if everything is working fine but there is just no iGate within range.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:36:14 AM EDT
My TNC2 on the Shack Yagi (Baofeng HT) was heard once..overnight while pointing at the nearest Igate (45+ miles away).

My TinyTrak4 has never been heard, even with 60w on the Yagi....I'm positive it's transmitting.  I can set up my TNC2 on the Baofeng and it receives the packet from the TinyTrak4 and displays it on the Droid phone.  

I've tried Omni's and Yagis with no success thus far.  We don't have any I-gates Anywhere close, hence the project.  

I can hear packets ALL day, but for whatever reason, no one can hear me....
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:58:18 AM EDT
Ok, so it works.

There isn't much you can do about the 45 miles distance. Other than antennas and power.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 12:26:15 PM EDT
Ok, so it works.

There isn't much you can do about the 45 miles distance. Other than antennas and power.
View Quote

Yep
we're trying to get it up and running around here...trying
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 4:27:31 PM EDT
The Mobilinkd TNC made this month's QST (May 2015, page 30)
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:46:28 PM EDT
Well I got the cable made for Toyotaman and it sends audio to the mobilinkd but the radio doesn't transmit.  So I messed up somewhere...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 3:35:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/4/2015 3:47:17 PM EDT by 444]
Well I got the cable made for Toyotaman and it sends audio to the mobilinkd but the radio doesn't transmit.  So I messed up somewhere...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Ok, so you gotta find out what is causing it to not transmit (duh, Captain Obvious), is it the software, the cable, or the radio ?

One common issue, which I mentioned earlier in this thread is that the software won't trigger the radio to transmit if it doesn't have a valid GPS  position. So, the first thing I would try is to go into the software settings and configure it for a manual location. Then enter your position into the software (eliminating the GPS from the equation). If you don't know your GPS location, you can get this from QRZ.com. If that doesn't work, then go through the settings on the software and see if you can figure out what is going on. You may even have to just try different settings one by one and see if you can find a wrong setting. I guess another question would be, when you have this working in receive, does it display your station in the correct location on the map ? (indicating that it has a correct GPS position).

It could be the cable, but I doubt it; it isn't complicated enough to screw it up. But, you can take a meter and "ohm it out". Check to see that the right things are connected to the right things The pin that has your transmit audio on the radio end is connected to the pin on the TNC end that is supposed to be carrying your mic audio.................and so on until you have tested them all. You would do this using the ohms setting on your meter. Touch the meter leads together and it should peg the meter to full scale (zero resistance). It will do the same thing when you touch one meter lead to the microphone pins and the TNC end of the cable. Check that pin 1 goes where it is supposed to, pin 2....................................
IF that all checks out correctly, then you can  take a piece of wire (clip lead would be optimal) and then on the TNC end of the cable, short the PTT line to ground and see if it puts the radio into transmit. This would be the same as pushing your PTT switch on the microphone. The radio seems unlikely to be the problem, so save it for last . I am betting it is a software issue but make sure you update us with your success in getting it working or if you need help.

We are here for ya
Top Top