Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/13/2013 6:39:29 PM EST
I bought an AGM for my old truck. Then had a bad relay and drained the new battery. Do I need a special charger to recharge this?

If so, suggestions on charger brands please.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:55:33 PM EST
Originally Posted By MikeSH:
I bought an AGM for my old truck. Then had a bad relay and drained the new battery. Do I need a special charger to recharge this?
If so, suggestions on charger brands please.
View Quote

everyone is confused.

the battery is in your truck.
the battery got drained.
you can't start the truck because the battery is dead?
and you want to charge the battery?

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:13:49 PM EST
Yes. Sorry for the confusion.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:23:04 PM EST
Just charge it. Jump the truck, and run it. Or trickle charge it, if you have one of those.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:28:24 PM EST
I do have a 3 speed charger, snow, turtle and jack rabbit speeds... So trickle, normal and fast I'd say.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:42:52 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MikeSH:
I do have a 3 speed charger, snow, turtle and jack rabbit speeds... So trickle, normal and fast I'd say.
View Quote

you can use whatever mode you want. it just depends on how long you have to wait.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:50:00 PM EST
Hey Mike, why did you get an AGM battery for your truck? Does it spend a lot of time upside-down?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:59:38 PM EST
You can kill an AGM quick charging it incorrectly. There are special chargers for them. Some folks advocate trickle charging. Others recommend charging with a fully charged lead acid wired in parallel.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:38:17 AM EST
Northern Tool has their chargers that work with AGM and Gel batteries for $19 right now. Normally they are $49. I picked up 2. I needed one for the kids powerwheel car battery and another for a ham radio rig I am building.

Make sure you use the right tool for the job or you will brick the battery.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:14:59 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:02:43 AM EST
Originally Posted By HSimpson:
You can kill an AGM quick charging it incorrectly. There are special chargers for them. Some folks advocate trickle charging. Others recommend charging with a fully charged lead acid wired in parallel.
View Quote

How does the truck's alternator know how to charge an AGM "correctly"?

It doesn't.

It doesn't need to know, either.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:47:17 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:45:38 AM EST
Originally Posted By Waldo:
I think those chargers are what they want you to use if they are constantly cycled.
View Quote

Yep.

Biggest difference from conventional flooded-cell batteries is that since they're sealed, you don't want to expose them to charging voltages high enough to cause venting. For example, it's not uncommon to occasionally perform an equalization charge on deep-cycle flooded-cell batteries - and that's a no-no for AGM batteries.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 1:57:03 PM EST
You can use a conventional charger, just make sure it isn't putting out more than 15 volts.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:33:34 PM EST
I don't know the science behind it but it only applies to dead or very low batteries. The Interstate store employees (where they also stock Optimas) say they are frequently burned up by people trying to bring up a dead agm at higher amperages. On a vehicle driven regularly in good repair they are fine.
Top Top