Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/14/2013 7:53:07 PM EST
So I bought a 5.11 Rush72 pack primarily as a BOB, but I thought I would like to use it for overnight backpacking trips and the quick spur of the moment car camping. I am just getting it all packed up for a backpacking trip and I'm super disappointed with it. When putting my hydration bladder into the bladder pocket, it makes the pack really uncomfortable. Bad design? If I drain out about 2/3's of the water from the pack, it's not as bad. The main compartment is actually a little on the small side (especially with a hydration bladder installed in the adjacent hydration pouch). The main compartment is barely able to hold a sleeping bag and a change of clothes. The other compartment is a good compartment for a compass, a few granola bars, a hand held transceiver, and a pair of binoculars.

How do you guys carry your sleeping systems in this pack?

Lastly, I bought a MOAB 10 as an additional pack to attach to this one for day hikes on overnighters. It works great if there is nothing in the Rush 72. The second the Rush 72 has much of anything in it, the MOAB 10 sticks way out on the back.

So, I am just wondering if anyone else has felt let down by this bag? The quality is good, but I can't really think of a good use for it except for a oversized day pack. It's not really for overnight unless you go with a really light (warm weather) sleeping bag or no bag at all.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 12:59:19 AM EST
Not familiar with the pack, googling it reveals I'm familiar with the style.
It's just an assault pack style... which means it doesn't really do anything well other than hold some food, ammo, basic survival stuff, and MAYBE a pair of cloths. Assault packs normally get attached to big packs, and the big pack holds all your normal stuff, clothes, food, water, sleeping bag, all that noise.

It's no wonder the other pack didn't fair well, as assault packs don't normally get other packs hung off of them. As far as hanging a sleeping bag off of it... there's no provision because little packs like that typically are not intended for it.

The one you got looks like it bridges the gap between assault packs, and "three day packs". Which are typically more hiking orientated. Assault packs in the civilian equivalent are pretty much just "day" packs.

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 6:46:21 AM EST
I sounds like you just need a much bigger pack if you want to carry the sleeping bag internally.

I have a Rush 72 and I hang a sleeping bag in a compression sack off the bottom in winter. It is perfectly usable as a 3 day bag.

The older model Rush 72 didn't have bottom straps, maybe you have that model.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 3:34:02 AM EST
I keep one in the truck as a get home bag. I live 35 miles from work so I'm looking at least a few days.
In the winter I add a sleeping bag to the outside. Works well for me.
In the warmer months it almost seems like too much bag.
YMMV
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 8:32:39 AM EST
I bought one a few years ago and while I use it for some things... it is still lacking. The shoulder straps are wayyy too narrow.

Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:10:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/16/2013 6:11:23 PM EST by fisterkev]
I have two of them. Don;t use them for BOBs. They are not big packs, not tiny either. As long as you understand what they are and what they're good for they are good packs. Well made, good materials, fantastic pocket arrangement.

They're best for daypack use and overnighters and such.
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 6:37:50 AM EST
you bought a small pack and than discovered it was too small for what you wanted to use it for and had to tack on another pack on top of it that it really was not designed to take.

it should surprise no one that this arrangement did not work out real well.
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 4:14:02 PM EST
Thanks everyone for your replies. I just got back from a great weekend of backpacking on the Big Sur coast of California. I left the Rush 72 at home and just went with my old Northface internal frame pack. I will see what I can do about putting the sleeping bag on the outside. I'll probably keep it for longer day hikes and a BOB to get to my BOL.

Thanks for everyone's replies and for your advice.

Link Posted: 11/21/2013 1:04:34 AM EST
pasowino, or anyone else...how is the overall construction of 5.11 bags?

I have never owned one, but I have eyed the Rush-12 as a potential intra-vehicle necessities bag.

I am issued 5.11 apparel at work and have seen the quality slip so much over the past five years or so that I am considering 5.11 as "office attire" only and going private purchase for wearing in the field. Easily busted seams, misaligned belt loops (don't they have QC?), fabric tearing easily, etc. I am putting everything through the same paces that I did years ago when the 5.11 products held up extremely well--- if anything I am gentler on my tactical clothing than before, as I'm in the field much less-- but still it is not as durable as it once was.

I read somewhere that they outsource like crazy, even among the same designs and colors of the same product...perhaps that is a factor.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 11:03:20 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pasowino:
Thanks everyone for your replies. I just got back from a great weekend of backpacking on the Big Sur coast of California. I left the Rush 72 at home and just went with my old Northface internal frame pack. I will see what I can do about putting the sleeping bag on the outside. I'll probably keep it for longer day hikes and a BOB to get to my BOL.

Thanks for everyone's replies and for your advice.

View Quote

The Big Sur coast is awesome! You did right by grabbing a real backpacking pack. Right tool for the job and all that.

spf

Link Posted: 11/21/2013 6:01:21 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By D6T:
pasowino, or anyone else...how is the overall construction of 5.11 bags?

I have never owned one, but I have eyed the Rush-12 as a potential intra-vehicle necessities bag.

I am issued 5.11 apparel at work and have seen the quality slip so much over the past five years or so that I am considering 5.11 as "office attire" only and going private purchase for wearing in the field. Easily busted seams, misaligned belt loops (don't they have QC?), fabric tearing easily, etc. I am putting everything through the same paces that I did years ago when the 5.11 products held up extremely well--- if anything I am gentler on my tactical clothing than before, as I'm in the field much less-- but still it is not as durable as it once was.

I read somewhere that they outsource like crazy, even among the same designs and colors of the same product...perhaps that is a factor.
View Quote

I can't speak about the clothes but the bags I have are quite good.

For clothes I can recommend this shop Rogueelite.com . There is a coupon for $10 off $100 purhase use code cyberten 11-28 to 12-3. They are dealer for Woolrich Elite. Woolrich Elite is closing their product line. I like the WE clothes. You can check them out here.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:25:59 PM EST
Its not really a backpacking pack. I used mine as a carry on luggage pack for a recent trip and it was awesome!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 2:36:26 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/15/2013 2:37:03 AM EST by OnlytheTip]
I don't pack my sleeping bag in my ruck. I use a waterproof bag and attach it with cinch straps to the top or bottom of the ruck, it depends on distance traveling and load-out. There is absolutely no reason to pack your bag inside your ruck.
Top Top