Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2008 7:08:15 AM EDT
There is someone around here selling 55 gal drums (both plastic and steel) for $8 each. He states that they have not had any hazardous materials in them, though I won't know exactly what was in them until I go see them. I kwas thinking of picking up 1 or 2 of lthe steel one for gas storage. Is there anything I should watchout for ? I will be picking up a couple of plastic ones for storage as well. What do you guys think?
   Next question: Where does one pick up those pumps with the hand cranks that attach to the drums for pumping gas etc. ?
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 7:31:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Be very careful.

I transport hazardous waste for a living.  I'm being loaded right now while I type.

This is a load from a while back:  In this truck, just in those drums, there are Aerosols, flammable liquids, flammable solids, oxidizers, toxics, corrosives and miscellaneous (Class 9) hazardous wastes.  Probably nothing that would kill you DRT, but not exactly nice stuff.

Food for thought.

There's any number of places in Louisiana to get refurbished (clean) drums  . . . I would go that route if I were you.

As for the pump- Northern Tool, Grainger, Lab Safety and any industrial supply place will have what you need.

-p.
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 8:03:21 AM EDT
[#2]
phuzzygnu,

Thanks for the info. I will have to see what was previously contained in them. Hsow much should a refurbished drum sell for ?
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 8:27:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Tractor Supply has pumps ranging anywhere from about 30 bucks up to 150.

I have a " lever " pump, it throws 1/2 gal per stroke... my neighbor bought a " crank " which IMO works better... both were about 120 bucks ea. (@ tractor ).

When you select your drums, take a flashlight... look inside.
You may have to power wash the inside, invert, and dry for 3-5 days.
Try to get good bung hole caps with good gaskets.... maybe a few spares.

goo-luck

ETA: I got a couple of used ones for $25 each.

Link Posted: 6/20/2008 10:05:58 AM EDT
[#4]

I dunno.  Maybe $50?  I just haul them.

-p
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 12:25:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Try the 10 minuet lube shops.  I just picked 4 16 gal steel drums, for free. He offered me a 55 gal, but I didn't want something that size.  The 16 gal are perfect for diesel storage, and cheaper that jerry cans.(Free is a good price).
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:42:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Just find one that has had oil or hydraulic fluid in it and look inside to make sure there's no rust.  As for pumps, stay away from the diaphram style and stick with a rotary type. Fil-Rite is a good one. Also you might mount a Goldenrod filter or similar on the pump. The goldenrod has a bowl to catch water and trash.
Leave about 5 to 8% of the drum empty to allow for expansion in hot weather and treat with a fuel stabilizer. I don't remember where I got the 5-8% figure, but I have two 55 gal drums of gas in storage and I have not had any problems with end swell yet And I am about an hour west of Fort Worth, so this time of year if it was going to swell it would have done so.  

ETA: For the pump try an oilfield supply store, we keep several at mine. or a TSC store. You could also get on Northern Tool's website or Grainger, although Grainger tends to be a bit pricey.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top