Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2011 11:36:14 AM EDT
So a year ago I posted a membership contest, and a few of you guys participated.  Some of the pics are even still hosted.

The archived thread and story about my Grandpa can be found HERE

I am going to do it again, as a way of thanking you guys for what I consider the best sub-forum on Arfcom.  Many of you may see me post in other areas, but in here I keep my mouth shut and my eyes and ears open.  I have so much to learn..........

Anyway, the rules are the same:

Three bronze level memberships will be available to win.

Non-team members who have posted at least once in the SF prior to today are eligible.

Team members are also eligible, and if you win, can either elect to renew for another year, or pick any other non-team member to pass it along to.

The challenge is to use any knife, other than a dedicated kitchen utensil, to peel an apple, creating the longest possible continuous strand of peel.

You must take a picture of the unbroken peel to post, but once you have your picture, you may separate it into sections for proper measuring.

The three longest peels will win.

This is the Survival Forum, so the measurement is on the honor system. Also, your unpeeled apple should not measure more than 12” in circumference, again, on the honor system.

Contest runs for one month, until the end of October. Winners will be posted on November 1st.

Good luck people, make Grandpa proud, and thanks for playing.

fish

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Thank You fish for hosting this

PA and the minipas

JR1

JR2

JR3

JR4
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:57:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Place holder for my entry.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:49:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Sunday bump
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:54:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Love it!  Thanks for the last year!  I'm re-upping this week!  (and will peel and apple again to see how I do!)

K
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 11:03:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Love it!  Thanks for the last year!  I'm re-upping this week!  (and will peel and apple again to see how I do!)

K

Love your avatar dude!
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Place holder

Remember my gramps doin this under the willow tree next to his orchard.
remember him laughing at me with all my bandaids while i TRIED to do it with him.
God i Miss him.

cool contest none the less..
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 12:38:20 PM EDT
[#7]
72 hour BTT
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 11:29:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Bump for pics again this year. Maybe ill give it a go myself..
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 1:34:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 10:15:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 12:39:07 PM EDT
[#11]
No interest??

Anyone??
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 5:52:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No interest??

Anyone??

Been out of the country, and now I'm looking for the little pocket knife that I used last year.  I've got the apple, just not the knife!!

K

Link Posted: 10/24/2011 11:21:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Bump for the last week
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 11:23:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I keep forgetting , maybe I do it before the weekend.
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 11:35:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm interested, I'll make it happen in the next day or two.

Very generous of the OP by the way.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok I found an apple and some time so I thought I would participate.

A golden delicious apple and Camilus folding knife.

Finally done and all in one piece!  It took longer than I first thought it would.  It is difficult to get the peel thin with a fairly thick and sturdy blade but it seems to look ok.

I broke it up to take some measurements but ended up with 44.75" overall.  I thought that was pretty good until I looked up the old thread. I might have to give it another try.

Link Posted: 10/25/2011 7:49:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Not bad for the first try.

And in any event you are currently in first place.

Thanks for the pics, love the table cloth!
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 10:51:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Placeholder to remind myself to participate in this.

I'm pretty confident in my ability.
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 5:09:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Home stretch bump.

At least two more winners just for trying..............
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 9:13:16 AM EDT
[#20]
First let me say that this is a great way to remember your grandfather, mine also loved to peel a apple.

Total: 42 inches.

Link Posted: 10/30/2011 2:53:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the entry!

Grandpa has been gone for two decades, but he is still here always.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 6:27:41 AM EDT
[#22]
last day if anyone else is interested.........................
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 10:47:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 10:54:54 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Not bad for the first try.

And in any event you are currently in first place.

Thanks for the pics, love the table cloth!

lol, the tablecloth and dozens of other holiday decorations seem to always appear a few weeks before holidays.  I'm a fairly spartan guy so I am indifferent to decorations but the wife makes sure we know what time of year it is. The kids love it though so that's all that matters.

I'm surprised there has not been more people peeling apples.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 11:02:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm surprised there has not been more people peeling apples.

Me too.

I suck at contest threads.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 4:05:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Got a new knife this year. Kershaw Talon II, seems like it was made for this. Once stretched it was a little over 44 inches.

Link Posted: 11/1/2011 6:00:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Well everyone, we had an overwhelming response to my contest, and it took me hours to sort through all the entries.

But after scrutinizing the submissions, I have determined that the three top ranked entries are:

Medester with 44 3/4 inches
JakeThePimp with a bit over 44 inces
Badfish25 with 42 inches

The winners are final, the judges have spoken, the appeals process is closed, and for better or worse, there are three more Team Members on the site.

Thanks for the entries, and I will look forward to trying for a better response next year.

fish
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 6:05:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks Fish!  

Link Posted: 11/1/2011 6:44:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Fish, you are quite generous. Thanks again. Grandpa must have been a heck of a guy.
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#30]
I was thinking about this contest last week.  My wife just brought home a case of apples for some homemade apple butter and apple sauce
Unfortunately, the kids' costumes took priority the last several days, so no entry from me.  I've got many an apple scheduled to be peeled next weekend though.  I'll be thinking of you and your grandpa when I do.  Thanks for the posts and thanks for the annual contest...it is an awesome tribute!  Hopefully I'll be in next year!
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Thank you for your generosity.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 5:44:36 PM EDT
[#32]
The contest is over.

However, I promised an entry and I always deliver upon my promises.

My goal was 100 inches.  I figured this was a lofty goal, as the highest entry I saw last year was somewhere around ~80 inches IIRC, but I figured I could do it with enough patience.

It was an utterly tedious task.  It took me almost 2.5 hours and I had to set it down and walk away several times, as the stress was just building and I thought I was going to slip up and ruin everything.

Not since writing an essay in a blue book in college during an hour long test period have I felt that type of focused, rushed pressure.  The kind of anxious, pent up pressure where you can't write fast enough and just want it to be over, but can't give up or it will undermine all that you've done.

A good test indeed of methodology, patience and coordination.  I have gained much respect for the focus required to create precise art, just from this simple exercise.  

I would say this was probably 100 times harder than I thought it would be ... but I persevered, endured and emerged victorious.

I suppose I am happy with my results ... I could do better on a second try, now that I've learned a few things, but I wouldn't do that again for $100, let alone for free just to prove a point.  

So, without further delay, I give you my submission, which cost me 2.5 nerve wracking hours of my life on this planet, all for the sake of proving that it can be done.

My cutting board is 15 inches wide ... My peel filled the cutting board 11 times, and half of another time.

11.5 x 15" = 172.5" total, or almost 14 and a half feet.

If I didn't care about the effects that level of stress has on my body, I am confident I could break well into the 200's and close in on the 300's.  

I was very sloppy at times, and there is much room for improvement.

However, seeing as how I more than doubled last years winner and more than quadrupled this years winner, I really can't be too hard on myself.

Tips - Spin the apple, keep the knife static with your thumb at the very edge of the blade, almost touching the apple.  Just a little bit of the blade needs to be in the apple.  Turn SLOWLY.  Don't saw, make the blade do the work as the apple is turned.  Use a small, sharp as hell knife.  I used a Victorinox Paring Knife.

Hope you guys enjoy, if anyone even sees this
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 10:16:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Wow!  That makes my entry seem inadequate.  However, I did mine in less than 10 minutes .

A paring knife would have been easier to hold than a folder and I remember my hand cramping up but I was thinking that using a dedicated kitchen utensil was against the rules.

Great job though, I agree it is more difficult than one would think.

Link Posted: 11/9/2011 6:52:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Wow!  That makes my entry seem inadequate.  However, I did mine in less than 10 minutes .

A paring knife would have been easier to hold than a folder and I remember my hand cramping up but I was thinking that using a dedicated kitchen utensil was against the rules.

Great job though, I agree it is more difficult than one would think.

I took "dedicated kitchen utensil" to mean a peeler or similiar tool, but perhaps I misunderstood.

I could have used a small cold steel or swiss army knife just as easily.  

Just takes patience.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 4:53:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The contest is over.

However, I promised an entry and I always deliver upon my promises.

My goal was 100 inches.  I figured this was a lofty goal, as the highest entry I saw last year was somewhere around ~80 inches IIRC, but I figured I could do it with enough patience.

It was an utterly tedious task.  It took me almost 2.5 hours and I had to set it down and walk away several times, as the stress was just building and I thought I was going to slip up and ruin everything.

Not since writing an essay in a blue book in college during an hour long test period have I felt that type of focused, rushed pressure.  The kind of anxious, pent up pressure where you can't write fast enough and just want it to be over, but can't give up or it will undermine all that you've done.

A good test indeed of methodology, patience and coordination.  I have gained much respect for the focus required to create precise art, just from this simple exercise.  

I would say this was probably 100 times harder than I thought it would be ... but I persevered, endured and emerged victorious.

I suppose I am happy with my results ... I could do better on a second try, now that I've learned a few things, but I wouldn't do that again for $100, let alone for free just to prove a point.  

So, without further delay, I give you my submission, which cost me 2.5 nerve wracking hours of my life on this planet, all for the sake of proving that it can be done.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/duggan12/ApplePeel01.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/duggan12/ApplePeel02.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/duggan12/ApplePeel03.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/duggan12/ApplePeel04.jpg

My cutting board is 15 inches wide ... My peel filled the cutting board 11 times, and half of another time.

11.5 x 15" = 172.5" total, or almost 14 and a half feet.

If I didn't care about the effects that level of stress has on my body, I am confident I could break well into the 200's and close in on the 300's.  

I was very sloppy at times, and there is much room for improvement.

However, seeing as how I more than doubled last years winner and more than quadrupled this years winner, I really can't be too hard on myself.

Tips - Spin the apple, keep the knife static with your thumb at the very edge of the blade, almost touching the apple.  Just a little bit of the blade needs to be in the apple.  Turn SLOWLY.  Don't saw, make the blade do the work as the apple is turned.  Use a small, sharp as hell knife.  I used a Victorinox Paring Knife.

Hope you guys enjoy, if anyone even sees this

WOW, don't know how I missed this.  Very impressive indeed.  World class in fact, even if you did use a paring knife

In honor of this submission, next years contest will have a new twist, and any entry that beats Duggan's will be a Gold Level winner, instead of Bronze.

Thanks for posting the pics, proves what time and patience can accomplish
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top