Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
7/8/2020 3:01:36 PM
Posted: 3/11/2011 11:48:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/11/2011 11:50:38 PM EDT by EXPY37]
We got to a place we haven't visited since this time 2 years ago.

The '92 Ford truck wasn't started for the 2 years. There was no stabilizer in the tank, the battery was disconnected and on a 4 amp Vector maintainer/charger. Fuel hadn't been disturbed for the 2 years.

I cranked it and it started up in about 2 1/2 seconds. I timed it this time. A few years ago it did the same thing after about 2 1/2 years of sitting IIRC.

Needed some water to drink with some Kasugai roasted hot green peas we stashed, dated 2006. There were some in an open bag from 2 yrs ago on my PC table and I started eating them, they were a little 'off' but sorta OK. My SO brought some in a closed bag dated 2006 and they are fine.

These peas are REALLY hot and I needed some water to wash them down. She found a gallon or so Walmart plastic container [ triangle 1  or PETE plastic] in the fridge that she had put Reverse Osmosis water in 2 yrs ago. It tastes like we just made it.

Thought I'd share the info.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:50:58 AM EDT
I recently put a hot battery in a '93 Bronoc that has not moved since 2006.
No stabilizer.
Fired up, coughed a couple times and ran fine.
Topped it off ASAP with fresh fuel.

Did the same with a '90 F150, that had set even longer, although it ran much rougher until I got fresh fuel.
It was the sheer stickiness/funk in the interiors,and the mice EVERYWHERE,that was more of an issue than fuel.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:41:13 AM EDT
Last night I started a small diesel John Deere tractor that has sat since 2002 IIRC. Hasn't moved.

I was startled when it started before I could even begin timing the cranking.

Tomorrow I'll be starting a Case backhoe that hasn't run since 2005.

Hopefully...  
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:48:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By EXPY37:

The '92 Ford truck wasn't started for the 2 years. There was no stabilizer in the tank, the battery was disconnected and on a 4 amp Vector maintainer/charger. Fuel hadn't been disturbed for the 2 years.

I cranked it and it started up in about 2 1/2 seconds. I timed it this time. A few years ago it did the same thing after about 2 1/2 years of sitting IIRC.

Needed some water to drink with some Kasugai roasted hot green peas we stashed, dated 2006. There were some in an open bag from 2 yrs ago on my PC table and I started eating them, they were a little 'off' but sorta OK. My SO brought some in a closed bag dated 2006 and they are fine.

These peas are REALLY hot and I needed some water to wash them down. She found a gallon or so Walmart plastic container [ triangle 1  or PETE plastic] in the fridge that she had put Reverse Osmosis water in 2 yrs ago. It tastes like we just made it.

Do you know if it was straight gas or 10% ethanol?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:51:09 AM EDT
That fuel must not have contained ethanol.  Up here we're running into serious problem with the fuel.  It starts to phase seperate after only a month or so.  It destroys carbs, fuel tanks, fuel lines, etc.  Bad stuff.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:18:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Daisycutter123:
Originally Posted By EXPY37:

Do you know if it was straight gas or 10% ethanol?

It's fuel from the nuts and fruits state so I think it does...

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 11:52:56 AM EDT
Truck still running fine.
Top Top