Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2009 6:31:47 PM EDT
prescription eyeglasses.

I'm sure most of you have thought of this if you wear prescription glasses daily, but it has never been so painfully
obvious to me until today.

I wiped the rain off of my glasses lenses this afternoon, and one of the lenses popped out.

The screw hole in the frame is stripped out, and no matter what I did, the screw would not tighten and hold
the lens in place.

The whole repair was made even more difficult because I could barely see the hole, and the screw is so tiny.

I have been blind as a bat all evening, and can't believe I never bought a second pair as a backup.

This has been a pain in the ass, and will be resolved tomorrow, but I never want to be in a prolonged SHTF
situation or natural disaster and have to survive without being able to see very well.

If your prescription has recently changed, and you don't have a backup pair of glasses yet with your new prescription,
it might be wise to put a second pair of spectacles close to the top of your preps list.

By this time tomorrow, I'm gonna have a new pair with new lenses, and I'm gonna have the old lenses
put into a new frame for a backup pair.  Not being able to see sucks.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:18:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I hear you on this.  I wear contacts and still keep my last two pairs of glasses around as spares.  one in the house, one in the truck..  this site zennioptical.com has cheap prices on glasses, worth ordering a few pairs to stuff in bobs, cars, work desk, etc.  ive been meaning too, and thsi reminds me im due for a checkup and more contacts too. thanks
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#2]
There have been many threads on lasik eye surgery and I had prk done to fix a major eye malfunction and since I had all the risks I paid a couple hundred more for the vision correction.

Every day I appreciate the fact that I no longer need corrective lenses but I really would think twice if I wound up needing corrective lenses in the future.

Back when I had glasses I always had a tendancy to get the same frames with a new prescription and I got sunglasses and regular glasses and this gave me a lot of spare parts if I wound up with a broken frame or something.  I don't get caught up on fashion so that helped a lot.

It is better to run into this stuff now so you can consider buying an extra frame if another frame would be cheap to buy.  As a kid I could not do that, but once I had gone a couple years on one prescription and needed another prescription I checked to see if the same frames were available and I wound up in pretty decent shape that way.

I was in the scouts at this time and I had a whole repair kit setup I took camping so I could handle losing a lense or totaling a frame or something.  Basically it was just a small screwdriver kit with extra screws and a spare pair of glasses.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I hear you...  one of the earpieces on mine broke off, and one earpiece just doesn't hold them on quite the same way...  a second pair is a HUGE asset.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:12:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had that happen to me a while back. I ended up "fixing" it by straightening out a paper clip, putting it through the hole, and bending it tight around the frame. Fishing line should work too.

As for a spare, get a copy of your prescription and shop around online. You can get a new pair for under $30.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I hear you on this.  I wear contacts and still keep my last two pairs of glasses around as spares.  one in the house, one in the truck..  this site zennioptical.com has cheap prices on glasses, worth ordering a few pairs to stuff in bobs, cars, work desk, etc.  ive been meaning too, and thsi reminds me im due for a checkup and more contacts too. thanks

I've used Zenni and 39dollarglasses.com, but my favorite is http://www.goggles4u.com/

Nice selection of frames, CHEAP, quick turn around (less than 2 weeks), and you get a stamp from Hong Kong!

They give you a discount code to use on your next order also.

fyi they require a script, but they don't actually confirm it.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:00:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Just watch that Twilight Zone episode with Burgess Meredith after the nuke attack...

Henry Bemis

Time Enough At Last

About 23 minutes in...
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:52:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Zenni for me too.   I bought 5 pairs of glasses last time from them, and it was just over 100 bucks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:55:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just watch that Twilight Zone episode with Burgess Meredith after the nuke attack...

Henry Bemis

Time Enough At Last

About 23 minutes in...

DAMN YOU!

I was going to post about that.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:10:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Henry Bemis

Time Enough At Last

About 23 minutes in...

DAMN YOU!

+1  Best episode of the Zone
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:11:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Henry Bemis

Time Enough At Last

About 23 minutes in...

DAMN YOU!

I'd say, second to

The Shelter

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:19:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Henry Bemis

Time Enough At Last

About 23 minutes in...

DAMN YOU!

I'd say, second to

The Shelter

The Old Man and The Cave is pretty good too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:52:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Henry Bemis

Time Enough At Last

About 23 minutes in...

DAMN YOU!

I'd say, second to

The Shelter

The Old Man and The Cave is pretty good too.

I don't remember that one...runs off to look at the archive...Wow!

Thanks  
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:46:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Anyone have RPGs or BCGs for spares?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:27:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anyone have RPGs or BCGs for spares?

Not intentionally but yes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:25:54 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a couple pair of extra glasses, and a few BCG's, too. I have them in our 2 cars, my BOB, and my lunch cooler that stays with me on the road at work.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:58:21 AM EDT
[#16]
you need a tube of JBWeld and one other sighted person to re-assemble them for you.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:14:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I wear contacts (disposable), but I also have 2 pairs of glasses with my current prescription. I am lucky and have a friend who works at a place that makes lenses, so I get them at cost.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:37:51 AM EDT
[#18]
my prescription hasn't changed in 10+ years, so i keep my old pairs for back ups.  i'm luck in that i can see well enough w/o my glasses, my hand eye coordination is just off a little.  my wife was laughing at me last night b/c i was trying to swat a fly and i didn't have my glasses on and i kept missing the damn thing.  i fixed that problem by just putting two flyswatters in my hand.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:45:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Got my eyeglasses fixed this morning, and had the Dr. fax me my prescription.

I'm going to look online at the sites above and order some new ones today.

Also, one of those glasses repair kits with extra screw and mini screwdriver is
going in my BOB.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#20]
My eyesight is so bad that I can't function without glasses.  Seriously.  I've always just used the last pair as backups.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#21]
i'd say that adage is also true about toilet paper.  truly taken for granted by modern society
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#22]
At the eye glass place nearest you they should be able to get you very tiny bolts that you drill all the way thru both holes insert the bolt and tighten the nut. A good back up fix if the hole gets stripped.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:04:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Got my eyeglasses fixed this morning, and had the Dr. fax me my prescription.

I'm going to look online at the sites above and order some new ones today.

Also, one of those glasses repair kits with extra screw and mini screwdriver is
going in my BOB.

Make sure it includes your pupillary distance.  That is not always included on your Rx.

FB
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:14:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Yup, I always keep my old glasses.  My Rx hasn't changed in years so I'm GTG there.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:58:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've had that happen to me a while back. I ended up "fixing" it by straightening out a paper clip, putting it through the hole, and bending it tight around the frame.

This worked for me back in '93ish; I still use the same pair when not in contacts. I've been lucky that I haven't needed to change the lenses out. These, BTW, are my backup vision correction to boxes and boxes of spare contact lenses.

sgt_seti
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:32:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Once mine was stripped out, the Lenscrafters had a tiny bolt and nut they used. Held up great after that. I've been meaning to ask for a couple next time I go there to have on hand.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:17:04 AM EDT
[#27]
I started wearing cargo pants when I travel and have an extra pair of glasses in a hard case on me at all times.

A car accident in a taxi, etc. could leave you in a bad spot without a backup.

We will be getting several $7 back-up pairs and put in every glove box - everyone in family wears glasses.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:35:04 AM EDT
[#28]
The main thing that prompted me to get LASIK was the fear that something would happen to my glasses in a really bad situation. I was blind as a bat without them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top