Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2011 5:05:05 AM EDT
2-12 volt, 12 amp hour batteries wired in series nets how many amp hours at 24 volts?
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 5:47:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Still 12 ah.  The number of watts is doubled though. Watts are the measure of work.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 5:47:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
2-12 volt, 12 amp hour batteries wired in series nets how many amp hours at 24 volts?

wired in series, you get 24V at 12AH.
wired in parallel, you get 12V at 24AH.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 5:51:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

wired in series, you get 24V at 12AH.
wired in parallel, you get 12V at 24AH.

ar-jedi

VxA=W in dc. 288W either way.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 6:03:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

i don't understand how 288W comes into play here.  i think you mean 288WH.  
this is just one capacity, though, on the capacity curve –– which is dependent on load.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 6:09:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i don't understand how 288W comes into play here.  i think you mean 288WH.  
this is just one capacity, though, on the capacity curve –– which is dependent on load.

ar-jedi

12x24=288 2ea 12Ah battery at 12v.  Yes I should have put Wh instead of W. People get all wrapped up in volts or amps. It is Watts that do the work.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 6:31:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It is Watts that do the work.

right, but the OP is asking about capacity.  

you can get a lot more than 288W out of a pair of 12V 12AH batteries.  
you just can't do so for long.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 8:51:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought my RBC-6 here:

http://www.gruberpower.com/gruberpower/advertising/Batteries/default.asp

Two other considerations besides battery capacity.  

(1)  Weight.  How much can you carry?  How much do you really want to carry?

(2)  Shape.  You may be able to find, there at Gruber, shapes/dimensions that will better fit with your needs.

In a real "emergency" situation you will not be operating your radio like contesting.  You won't even operate it like a net control.  You will listen a lot and transmit as little as possible, so take that into your power calculations.  And you will only get about half the amp-hour capacity of what the batteries are rated.

Looking at the 12 AH batteries, I think that is a lot more capacity than what your PRC-320's batteries were rated, correct?  So they should give good performance for your radio.

I have 2 RBC-6 sets... that is, four 12 v 12 AH gel cell batteries.  The Battery Tender 800 (equiv to the Battery Tender Jr) easily keeps all four topped off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top