Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2014 10:02:13 AM EDT
Need help with set up on this bike to make it reach its full SHTF potential. it is straight stock now and does not even have a rack on the back. I don't think I can put saddle bags on it due to the high placement of the exhaust pipe. Pics would help with any modification suggestions. thanks. P.S. It is a pretty damn quiet bike.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:41:16 AM EDT
[#1]
adventure biker and expedition portal will have some ideas for smallish bikes.

First is the tools to work on it and repair a flat.  

The sites mentioned should be able to help you figure out how high a rear rack needs to be to clear the heat of the muffler and even with a heat shield I would space it up a bit.

Depending on what you are after the rack could help support saddle bags and keep them away from the muffler.

What to do to the bike just sort of depends on what you want to do.

How much fuel does it hold and what does it do for mileage?

I see it as a fun little bike that does not need much weight.  Maybe saddle bags you can easily add or remove for a trip to the store or work or whatever.  I like a rear rack just because it is so nice to be able to bungy something to a rack.  

But firsty, be able to fix a flat with what the bike carries.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds good Biere. I'll start with that. the gas tank is 2.5gal and it is supposed to get around 50mpg but that remains to be seen.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#3]
First,  most of those small bikes do not have a fuel filter.  Refilling from odds and ends gas cans often means sediment and crap in the gas.  Consider a fuel filter.

Tires:  Try to figure lout what you want to do with that bike.  Dirt tires do okay on pavement, but pavement tires do NOT do okay on dirt  Various 50/50 tires or something similar may be in order.

Storage:  Saddle bags or panniers are great.  A must have in my book.  Panniers are better. Do not buy side opening cases  since everything falls out.  Buy top opening.  You may want to look around.  Hard cases easily run $800++, with many options starting at $1000.  Some creativity, two 20mm ammo cans and some paint could get you a long way.  Remember, its still a 230.....  It's not going to do well with 200 lbs of rider and gear, and a 100 lb of luggage.

My bike has a top case, but its not a motorcycle specific case.  Previous owner mounted a Lowe pelican-type case and it works great.  Consider somesort  of small loop or other attachment points so you can bunge a large but light item to the top (think sleeping bag or similar).

Lights:  I don't know what the alternator on that will generate.  I suspect its not much.  Plugging in lots of lights will likely tax your electric system.  Look at a pair or high end LED aux lamps.  I bought Denali's, and these are 10W if I remember.  I set them up on the forks, and they are wired to my high/low beam.  t low they push 40%, and when I turn the highs on, the denali's go to 100%.  I love them.  Krista's are great too.  These are all not cheap ($300+) but are worth every penny.  They serve as daytime  "please see me" conspicuity lights and as auxiliary lights that widen and fill in the night time headlight pattern.  Really helpful.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Good advise so far. Also see if anyone has a aftermarket fuel tank. I put bigger tanks and my dirt bikes. You can getter a little better power with air box/filter mod,carburetor jetting if not EFI, and maybe a pipe. All bikes are lean from factory to meet EPA standards. And the cheapest way to get storage is to make them yourself like others have said, or getting on forums  like ADVrider, etc and find someone selling.. Good luck, looks like a cool little bike.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 10:08:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Replace all the Phillips head screws with stainless socket head cap screws. ( Allen heads)
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice bike!
I was looking at the 230M when I found out the 250L/M was coming out.
So far the only thing I have added is a rear rack from man racks. The rack is pre fitted for the rotopex gas cans so I went that rout instead of a larger tank for now.
I want to ad the FMF pipe, muff and programer but I'll loose stealth mode. It's nice to be able to put around camp grounds without pissing everyone off or sneaking out at night after the wife unit goes to sleep
Eta
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:12:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I love my 08 230L!!! Stock I always got between 75 and 85 mpg. Uncorked and jetted it does 60 mpg riding hard. No fancy electronics, bare bones perfect "survival" bike. There are absolutely no aftermarket tanks available, unless something came out recently. Plenty of engine rock guards and stuff like that. D606 tire on the rear has worked well for me, but on a motard you'll lose some top speed with a knobby tire. I geared mine down quite a bit, and top speed is about 72 mph.
I'm no pro rider or anything, but I have no problem keeping up with all the big bikes on the trails. As light as it is, and torque and just the right height, it pretty well dominates single track trails. High speed romping through the whoops and jumping triples is not its thing.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top