Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
6/25/2018 7:04:05 PM
Posted: 7/12/2018 1:26:16 AM EDT
So, I've been using an ArmyTek 18650 headlamp here in A'Stan for the past few months. I just have a couple of 18650 (unprotected, but I have an appropriate charger) 3400mAh 3.7V batteries. I've been using this headlamp nightly for 1-2 hours and in the morning for a few minutes before I get my room lights on; a couple times I've left my light on all day when I forget to turn it off. I've been using the same battery for three months without a charge...pretty freaking impressive. For home use, 18650's are a no-brainer. For backpacking, I just don't spend three months on a single trip to justify the extra weight, but regardless, I'm impressed with the capacity of the 18650 batteries. The ArmyTek headlamp is excellent as well...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 2:01:04 AM EDT
I think for high output or long runtime LED lights 18650's are the way to go.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:26:24 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By freeride21a:
I think for high output or long runtime LED lights 18650's are the way to go.
View Quote
For the most part I agree. However, I'm still rocking a much lighter Zebra single AA headlamp as my primary for backpacking. Even with the lighter lithium battery, for normal "backpacking" use, I can go over a week for my illumination needs. The larger 18650 is something I would consider on a six month expedition. I won't get to experiment until next summer, but I want to see how well my solar panel (Suntactics-14) will charge the higher capacity 18650's (I have a single 5V/USB charger). If I could get up to an 80% charge, a couple batteries would likely last you a decade of "normal" use. This is also why I prefer the unprotected batteries as they have less resistance. Regardless, while the lights are a little larger, the capacity is far greater and the single cell is more efficient.

ROCK6
Top Top