Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2018 1:26:16 AM EDT
So, I've been using an ArmyTek 18650 headlamp here in A'Stan for the past few months.  I just have a couple of 18650 (unprotected, but I have an appropriate charger) 3400mAh 3.7V batteries.  I've been using this headlamp nightly for 1-2 hours and in the morning for a few minutes before I get my room lights on; a couple times I've left my light on all day when I forget to turn it off.  I've been using the same battery for three months without a charge...pretty freaking impressive.  For home use, 18650's are a no-brainer.  For backpacking, I just don't spend three months on a single trip to justify the extra weight, but regardless, I'm impressed with the capacity of the 18650 batteries.  The ArmyTek headlamp is excellent as well...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 2:01:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I think for high output or long runtime LED lights 18650's are the way to go.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:26:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think for high output or long runtime LED lights 18650's are the way to go.
View Quote
For the most part I agree.  However, I'm still rocking a much lighter Zebra single AA headlamp as my primary for backpacking.  Even with the lighter lithium battery, for normal "backpacking" use, I can go over a week for my illumination needs.  The larger 18650 is something I would consider on a six month expedition.  I won't get to experiment until next summer, but I want to see how well my solar panel (Suntactics-14) will charge the higher capacity 18650's (I have a single 5V/USB charger).  If I could get up to an 80% charge, a couple batteries would likely last you a decade of "normal" use.  This is also why I prefer the unprotected batteries as they have less resistance.  Regardless, while the lights are a little larger, the capacity is far greater and the single cell is more efficient.

ROCK6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top