Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2015 1:50:57 PM EDT

For many years I used a 1XCR123A light of some kind or another as my EDC light. 4Sevens, Fenix, lately Eagletac.  I like how bright they are but I dont like how those batteries arent nearly as common as AA or AAA. Still, given the different modes they have and that they can go for days at a time on moonlight mode I was still ok with that.
The thing is, with LED technology getting better every year, I starterd carrying around 1xAA EDC lights, lately the Thrunite T10T, which is a nice, sleek titanium light. At 169 lumens its bright enough but I found myself missing the extra power of the Lithium batteries. After a bit of reading around in candlepowerforum and checking that the T10T could take it, I went ahead and got a couple 14500 lithium ion batteries (basically the same form factor as AA, but in li-ion). Man! Those are nice. You visible get more lumens out of it, its rechargable so you dont waste money on batteries and if needed you can go ahead and use common AA found everywhere.
I knew about 14500 battries, had and used some a bit (which I then lost),  but never bothered to look into it more seriously and make it part of my EDC. It sure works well, best of both worlds kind of situation.
Anyone else using 14500's on regular basis?
FerFAL
PS-Thrunite just sent me their TN36 to try out... 6.000 lumens.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I use 14500 and 16340 li-ion cells and lights and prefer to carry the latter, in spite of the lower capacity found in the 16340s.

AA lights have come a log way.  I have a few--Icon Rogue 1, Xeno E03 and L3 Illuminations L10.  All work on 14500s with various ease and they're not a lot of money.  I use Sanyo 840mAh UR14500P li-ions and they're the state of the art right now and have been for a few years.  They're naked cells and have no PCB protection circuit, so you're on your own and need to monitor voltage levels.

If you want the hot new AA light, it's the ZebraLight SC5, which is designed around a Panasonic Eneloop XX/Pro 2500mAh battery.  The light does not support li-ions like their famed SC52, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  I generally don't buy lights that do not support li-ion cells.

500LM in 3 minute turbo mode out of a single NiMH 1.2v AA battery is pretty impressive and it comes with ZL's impressive 'U.I.'.  Runtimes are pretty good, as well.

The Thrunite Neutron 2A v2 with 2xAA extension tube which came out in October was supposed to be the killer AA light to have and I almost bought one, but the first batches had a whole bunch of bugs and glitches, so I've held off.

Something like 850 measured (integrating sphere) OTF lumens, which is crazy output.

The problem with small lights and li-ion cells is thermal regulation.  Smaller body/head, less mass, less mass, less thermal conduction, less thermal conduction, higher/quicker heat build up.

I've got the L3 L10 and an AAA Olight I3S that both work with li-ions, but are so small that they heat up in only a couple of minutes, to the point that you can't hold them any longer.  I keep Eneloops in them and outputs are awesome for the size of the light.

Chris
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 4:59:35 PM EDT
[#3]
just remember, the light you have has to be rated for AA and 14500's. if its not rated for the 14500 its a quick way to fry the LED and circuitry. lights will have 14500 listed if it can handle it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 5:31:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
just remember, the light you have has to be rated for AA and 14500's. if its not rated for the 14500 its a quick way to fry the LED and circuitry. lights will have 14500 listed if it can handle it.
View Quote

Sometimes manufacturers don't rate them for it for warranty reasons but they can handle it. The guys over at candlepower forums  usually try things out nicely and that gives you an idea of what a light can and cannot handle. but yes, ideally do get one rated rated for 14500.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 4sevens xpg and XML.  The XML can be used with single 14500 or short time but the lower voltage head uses either AA or 14500.
I usually carry one 14500 in it and keep a couple Nimh on hand as backup.  At around 100 lumens the xpg with Nimh is plenty but if I was using it with a weapon I'd want the extra brightness.  I've even used it for a headlight at night with a friends tractor I was driving home for him.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had an SC52w in my pocket practically since they came out, maybe two years or so ago. Best light, interface, and battery combo in existence for EDC. I use the li-on for the light, and always have an eneloop or three handy during the day. I've only had to use a backup battery once. The built in battery gauge lets me change the battery when it gets to 50%. It automatically steps down from turbo to control heat, warm led is perfect for outdoors and wire color identification alike, and the form factor for what you get is perfect. The moonlight modes are flawless as well for pitch black rooms. Best light I've owned.

So, yes. 14500 for EDC is great, and AA's are everywhere if needed.

ETA: I also wouldn't carry anything powered by an "---Fire" battery in my pocket. I use the AW 14500, one of several quality brands. No thanks, not worth the risk of an exploding metal tube in my pocket to save a few bucks. I know, single cell and low risk, but it has happened.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 1:40:09 AM EDT
[#7]

ETA: I also wouldn't carry anything powered by an "---Fire" battery-----

Elaborate, please.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 1:49:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Elaborate, please.
View Quote

TrustFire, UltraFire (XXXX-Fire) are some of the most counterfeited batteries/cells coming out of China.  Most of the time, they're just recycled laptop pulls, often, they're just complete junk with a smaller battery stuck inside, or a piece of cardboard acting as a protection circuit (PCB.)

The legit TrustFire cells aren't entirely bad, but knowing which is which is the hard part.

Read this link:

Autopsy of UltraFire cells.

There are much better cells out there and where I can, I stick with the Big 5: LG, Samsung, Sanyo, Panasonic and Sony.

Chris
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 10:21:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

TrustFire, UltraFire (XXXX-Fire) are some of the most counterfeited batteries/cells coming out of China.  Most of the time, they're just recycled laptop pulls, often, they're just complete junk with a smaller battery stuck inside, or a piece of cardboard acting as a protection circuit (PCB.)

The legit TrustFire cells aren't entirely bad, but knowing which is which is the hard part.

Read this link:

There are much better cells out there and where I can, I stick with the Big 5: LG, Samsung, Sanyo, Panasonic and Sony.

Chris
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Elaborate, please.

Read this link:

Chris

Exactly, thank you. I have a couple legitimate Trustfire cells, but they are backups only. 18650 cells are far too power sense and the consequences of thermal runaway are far too large to use inferior cells.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I use genuine Ultrafire protected 14500's from Battery Junction in my 4sevens Quark tactical and a Sunwayman V11R with the extension.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I use genuine Ultrafire protected 14500's from Battery Junction in my 4sevens Quark tactical and a Sunwayman V11R with the extension.
View Quote

None of my business, but BJ has come under fire for selling a lot of crappy cells over the years, despite being a very large flashlight operation.

You can do better, like the Sanyo UR14500P 840mAh cells.  More capacity and safer.

Chris
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I am really liking my Fenix UC35 for EDC when I am working. On board recharging for the 18650 battery. I have made it a habit to recharge my battery immediately upon reaching my hotel for the night if I had a long day working on a machine and using my light a lot. Most of the time I use it occasionally and the charge last for a week running 180 lumens so I can see scratch patterns.

At home I usually go to a single AA light that runs 14500 or CR123.

I don't think you can go too far wrong with any quality light that can handle Lithium Ion. I do think they can be a challenge when you have lights that you don't use often and you need to remember to keep the battery topped off. I often end up with my home EDC lights hitting the protection circuit and shutting off when I need them. I have resorted to Eneloops at times because I knew I needed to be able to trust that my light would be ready to go when I needed it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 10:42:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't think you can go too far wrong with any quality light that can handle Lithium Ion. I do think they can be a challenge when you have lights that you don't use often and you need to remember to keep the battery topped off. I often end up with my home EDC lights hitting the protection circuit and shutting off when I need them. I have resorted to Eneloops at times because I knew I needed to be able to trust that my light would be ready to go when I needed it.
View Quote

I'll be honest, I have too many cells and batteries.  Half of my cells are sitting at ~3.6v and in the fridge.  Many of my Eneloops and other NiMH batteries are sitting in remotes, a box, or lights and while some get used daily, most do not.  I take them out, here and there and run them down in my flashlights, just to be able to charge them up and keep the electrolytes 'fluid.'

I'm in the practice now, of staggering my battery/cell purchases.  Buy a bunch and wait a couple of years and then buy another bunch.  The initial batch, with care, will still be in good shape, but now I don't have everything going stale all at once.

Chris
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 10:59:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'll be honest, I have too many cells and batteries.  Half of my cells are sitting at ~3.6v and in the fridge.  Many of my Eneloops and other NiMH batteries are sitting in remotes, a box, or lights and while some get used daily, most do not.  I take them out, here and there and run them down in my flashlights, just to be able to charge them up and keep the electrolytes 'fluid.'

I'm in the practice now, of staggering my battery/cell purchases.  Buy a bunch and wait a couple of years and then buy another bunch.  The initial batch, with care, will still be in good shape, but now I don't have everything going stale all at once.

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

Good plan.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 8:39:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I have been carrying this 4 Sevens Quark AA loaded with a TrustFire and a spare TrustFire in my pocket for over 5 years. Never had a problem with the TrustFire batterys or light and I use it daily.

" />
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 4:47:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I know some ***Fire brands arent great, although some are better than others. Ive had some for many years working very well, but yes, they are a hit and miss kind of product. I guess I'll eventually get some better brand 14500s.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I know some ***Fire brands arent great, although some are better than others. Ive had some for many years working very well, but yes, they are a hit and miss kind of product. I guess I'll eventually get some better brand 14500s.
FerFAL
View Quote

I've got li-ions sitting in candy bowls all over my place, so I can be a bit anal, but people can do better and all it takes is one cheap, shoddy cell to vent with flame and your day is ruined.

Keeppower, Orbtronic, Sanyo, Efest, Sony, protected, or naked.  Lots of good choices out there, for not a lot a lot of cash and you have more peace of mind.  Hell...most of the big flashlight makers are rebranding cells and selling them, so they're not hard to find.

Chris
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 7:24:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have been carrying this 4 Sevens Quark AA loaded with a TrustFire and a spare TrustFire in my pocket for over 5 years. Never had a problem with the TrustFire batterys or light and I use it daily.

http://<a href=http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k256/muddydogs/CAM00379_zpseuxmvycf.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

I had that flashlight as my EDC for a long while before I got the SC52. It's a great light.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 10:06:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm running nitecore 14500s in my Sunwayman v11r, very happy so far, I just wish I could get an updated NiteCore Defender Infinity that does 500+ lumens on a single eneloop.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 11:19:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm running nitecore 14500s in my Sunwayman v11r, very happy so far, I just wish I could get an updated NiteCore Defender Infinity that does 500+ lumens on a single eneloop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ZebraLight's new SC5 will do 500LM on an Eneloop XX/Pro, for 3 minutes.

Chris
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I bought 4 Nitecore 14500 protected cells from Battery Junction 2-3mos ago.  I had to send them back and exchange them for more Ultrafires because the Nitecores were so long that the tailcap on 3 different brands of lights wouldn't screw down all the way and the lights didn't function.  Glad yours weren't horribly out of spec like mine were.

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I've got that problem, I bought them for the  Sunwayman and my old Nitecore Defender Infinity and they won't fit the DI.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 11:50:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k256/muddydogs/CAM00379_zpseuxmvycf.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

I EDC the same form factor, but a slightly different setup. Surefire 6P converted to Malkoff M61L and a 18650 cell.  You can always use 2x123.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 2:01:25 AM EDT
[#24]
I've been using AA lithiums as my BOB batteries, but I've pretty much stayed with AA Eneloops or 18650s from a good manufacturer.

Update:  Been looking at 14500s.   Seem they only have between 750 and 1200 mAhs.  Is this an issue?  The 18650s have a good bit more, like 2500 mAhs.  

It seems hard to beat the Fenix PD35, and it takes only 1 18650, but I'm going to check into lights above mentioned that are rated for the 14500 to see how they are.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 9:09:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've been using AA lithiums as my BOB batteries, but I've pretty much stayed with AA Eneloops or 18650s from a good manufacturer.

Update:  Been looking at 14500s.   Seem they only have between 750 and 1200 mAhs.  Is this an issue?  The 18650s have a good bit more, like 2500 mAhs.  

It seems hard to beat the Fenix PD35, and it takes only 1 18650, but I'm going to check into lights above mentioned that are rated for the 14500 to see how they are.
View Quote

ok, been using it for a few days now, so far so good. Yes, its clealy, brighter, yes, it takes a second to drop into a charger to top up every few weeks so as to avoid the nasty surprise or running out of battery when needed the most (this is a pretty big advantage) while at the same time being able to take standard AAs if needed or if oyu ever have to scrounge around for batteries.
FerFAL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top