Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2013 11:41:36 PM EDT
So, I've got a Cobra MR HH425LI VP radio (Marine VHF and GMRS) and am trying to learn if it's possible to make a dual-band J-pole that will serve both bands well. My inspiration are the various Arrow Antenna Open Stub J-Poles. I'm as dumb as a stump when it comes to the science behind antennas, I just know that the 155/460 MHz Arrow Antenna I got works quite well for Marine VHF, but quite poorly for GMRS (which, I understand is no fault of the manufacturer since it wasn't designed for GMRS). Is there some specific harmony between the two bands selected for each antenna, or could I just have one element tuned for 157 MHz and another for 462 MHz?
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:40:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Very easy to do. Just get some TV twin lead and cut it for the appropriate frequency.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 3:40:48 AM EDT
[#2]
http://www.mtcradio.com/blackbird-vhf-uhf-jpole-base-antenna-mar-gmrs/

This is close.

Gmrs is almost a harmonic of the marine band so a vhf antenna may present a good swr, however radiation patterns might be crazy. Look for the QST article by Ed Fong on his dual band jpole to see what I am talking about.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 2:39:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So, I've got a Cobra MR HH425LI VP radio (Marine VHF and GMRS) and am trying to learn if it's possible to make a dual-band J-pole that will serve both bands well. My inspiration are the various Arrow Antenna Open Stub J-Poles. I'm as dumb as a stump when it comes to the science behind antennas, I just know that the 155/460 MHz Arrow Antenna I got works quite well for Marine VHF, but quite poorly for GMRS (which, I understand is no fault of the manufacturer since it wasn't designed for GMRS). Is there some specific harmony between the two bands selected for each antenna, or could I just have one element tuned for 157 MHz and another for 462 MHz?
View Quote

A 460 antenna should work perfectly for GMRS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top