Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2012 6:59:49 AM EDT
Anybody here have any experience with Frogg Toggs rain gear?

I keep a nylon rain poncho in my bag but they don't work well in heavy rain so I've been looking for a replacement for a while.  I tried plastic ones but they rip too easy and get hot after a while.  Recently I found Frogg Toggs poncho at a shop and they look interesting. For those of you who don't know, Frogg Toggs make rain gear from the Tyvik bio suit material.  They are rain proof and breathable.

My biggest concern is how durable they are in real world use.

Link Posted: 3/21/2012 7:07:10 AM EDT
[#1]
They're good stuff! I have one set for fishing/shooting and just beating around and the wife and I both use them on the MC. Never tried 'em in the woods so I can't say how they would hold up to that.

Great product for the price!
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 7:12:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't call them durable.

The material feels like a paper towel and they will pill up and rip without too much provocation.

One rose bush and you are in trouble.

Link Posted: 3/21/2012 7:13:47 AM EDT
[#3]
They work great for the bike, backpacking in the woods I use an old army/ military poncho because it doubles as a shelter.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 7:37:25 AM EDT
[#4]
in the brush they suck

otherwise they're the best raingear I know for the money

they're basically made out of tyvek-like stuff....
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 8:14:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm in the market for rain gear too, and so far this thread confirms what I guessed about Frogg Toggs. Handy and light, but definitley need something more durable for the woods.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 9:45:16 AM EDT
[#6]
The best raingear for motorcycles hands down.  For humping through the woods/sticks, not sure about that one.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 9:47:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Well I've use mine quite a bit. The material is not breathable. It will get a little hot inside the suit. It does great for blocking wind and rian and packs up really pretty small. The material does look like paper but it's tougher than you think. Mine has held up well hunting in the woods. I've got it snagged on stuff and it hasn't ripped yet. For the $45 I paid for the tops and bottoms I think it's worth it. It's definately not a one time wear deal and should last a long time.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 10:30:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm in the market for rain gear too, and so far this thread confirms what I guessed about Frogg Toggs. Handy and light, but definitley need something more durable for the woods.

thing is, all "light raingear" sucks in the woods... at least toggs are cheaply replaceable

plus, you can repair it with duct tape until you get home

ETA:  plus you can spraypaint it like your local area if you like since you like hiding in the bushes, covered with mud
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Great for motorcycles, golfing, and general rain wear.  They're lightweight, compact when not being worn, cover well, and pretty durable.  Probably not so good when it comes to running around in heavy cover.

al
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#10]
They are very popular with guys I golf with.  Take up little room and are light but probably not as tear resistant as something thicker.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Saw lots of folks wearing them this past July at Philmont.  And it rained every day.
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 11:04:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
in the brush they suck

I used them for  Alaska salmon fishing.   Their downside is durability.  Their upside is they are very breathable and do not wet out like gore-tex does.
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 5:47:00 PM EDT
[#13]
We had about 12 sets for use in a motorcycle class.  They did not hold up.  virtually every pair split at the crotch or pits.  They work okay but durability is low.
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
in the brush they suck

This has been my experience with them also. I've used them from Alaska to the Everglades and many points in between. And if you rip 'em up it's not expensive to just go get new ones.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 2:24:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

thing is, all "light raingear" sucks in the woods... at least toggs are cheaply replaceable

plus, you can repair it with duct tape until you get home

ETA:  plus you can spraypaint it like your local area if you like since you like hiding in the bushes, covered with mud

Neat tip about the spray paint. I definitely want a set for emergencies, but since my camping gear is my SHTF gear, I'm also going to need more durable stuff.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 4:06:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I ride motorcycles and a few guys I ride with like them.....HOWEVER....they iron on heat shields on the legs because if they even get NEAR pipes they will melt.

They do the job keeping water off, though.

I prefer GORTEX myself.

More expensive but packs better.

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 4:10:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Anybody here have any experience with Frogg Toggs rain gear?

I keep a nylon rain poncho in my bag but they don't work well in heavy rain so I've been looking for a replacement for a while.  I tried plastic ones but they rip too easy and get hot after a while.  Recently I found Frogg Toggs poncho at a shop and they look interesting. For those of you who don't know, Frogg Toggs make rain gear from the Tyvik bio suit material.  They are rain proof and breathable.

My biggest concern is how durable they are in real world use.

great for fishing on a boat, but not very durable. They do have a new line out that is supposed to be alittle bit tougher but still dont think it would stand up to one trip through the woods with out getting FUBAR'd.

J-

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I use them for backpacking. They work, but would categorize them as disposable. It's best to carry some  shipping or Tyvek tape to repair the inevitable tears/holes.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I wouldn't call them durable.

The material feels like a paper towel and they will pill up and rip without too much provocation.

One rose bush and you are in trouble.

I'm pretty sure it's the same stuff as surgical gowns and sheets.  Some sort of treated paper-based product.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 7:21:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Mine met it's match on the AT.

No more rain jacket for  me :(
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 9:05:22 AM EDT
[#21]
I used my Frogg Toggs over the weekend...as others have said...it's good, but not very durable.  I already have holes in my pants from walking around in the brush this past weekend.
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 1:39:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Mine lasted 2 miles down a trail
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 9:22:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I ride motorcycles as well and this past summer I did a trip from Texas to Canada and back. Frogg toggs saved my butt from nasty weather more time than I can count. I stayed dry in the pouring rain for a 300 mile ride. As others mentioned they are weak, burnt a hole in the leg of one fixed with duct tape though.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#24]
I've had two sets for a couple years now. I agree they are not what I would call durable but they are very light and do work great as long as you can avoid snags. I have used them on motorcycles and in boats in severe weather and worked great. I have a set in my bob and another in my boat.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 12:30:04 PM EDT
[#25]
I was actually at Cabelas today and Frogg Toggs has a new line (atleast I have never seen it before) called the "Rage" looks to be a 1000% upgrade from the glorified paper crap they use in their lightweight stuff. Tried on the jacket and it was very nice and only about $60. They have bibs and pants in the line too.

J-
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I took some up to Mt LeConte and they worked but the zipper on the jacket kept blowing out on me. I returned them to Dick's after I got back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top