Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2007 4:46:19 AM EDT
How much would getting together a good BOB run?  

Something to keep with me in my work truck, and my personal vehicle, and one for my wife.....

I really am thinking it's time to get two made up.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:05:52 AM EDT
[#1]
No way of knowing.  It depends what you put in it.

Some old clothes, water, tarp, a blanket, flashlight, granola bars, etc would be pretty cheap or free as you likely have all those things already.  But that is just the basics of food, water and shelter.

The price goes up from there for everything else that you add.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:02:47 AM EDT
[#2]
It's really about what you already "have."

Do you camp?  If you do you probably have a good start.

What kind of packs?

I use medium ALICE packs I get surplus for no more than $10.  They're durable, hold as much as I need and don't raise any eyebrows.

Your big expenditure will be for a water filter, which I highly recommend, for about $50-70.  I use a Katadyn Hiker Pro.  I love it, its really tough and has an adapter that will screw onto my Nalgene water bottles for easy filling.

If you spent more than a hundred bucks, I'd be amazed.

Water Filter, pack, coat, change of clothes, especially socks (3 -pair, (smart wool or comparable) you don't want to get the trenchfoot), broken in work boots or hiking boots, compass, map, food (freeze dried*, mountainhouse*, or MRE), Power bars, Tarp for shelter (Silnylon, tarptent, or .mil surplus poncho, 550 cord (to string up tent, make repairs, extra boot laces, etc.) Little bit of Duct tape wrapped on a pencil, zip ties, electrical tape, 2 water bottles (I like Nalgenes), some hard candy, small first aid kit, flash light (get a headlamp), toothbrush, toothbaste or bit of baking soda. And thats about it.

Easy Cheesy!

* If you use freeze dried, you will need a container to heat water in, and something to heat it with.  Either a nesting cup, which fits right on the bottom of a Nalgene, and an Esbit (TRioxane) stove, or a trangia stove (Search for Swedish surplus, stove, little pot/canteen, wind block for the stove all in one nesting unit).  These also work well for warm beverages which do boost morale, but aren't required.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How much would getting together a good BOB run?  

Something to keep with me in my work truck, and my personal vehicle, and one for my wife.....

I really am thinking it's time to get two made up.

Start reading my brother...........this is the bible..........

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=18&t=506065
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#4]
it depends on what kind of bob you are trying to put together. A light weight bob will be more money than a heavier bob. regardless of cost you can still have a good quality bob. Take advantage of sales and research products.
The big spend items are: pack 80-200 dollars, water filter 60-110  sleeping bag 80-200
shelter 40-160. these are approximant figures, and depends on what type of product you buy. Name brands like snugpak, kelty, patagonia, big ange, msr and golite. Are going to be high end products, if you watch they do go on sale.
2000 dollars for well equipped light weight bob( include every thing down to your boots to 550 cord) again this figure is regular prices, with nothing but top quality gear.
for a eco bob( you can reduce this too but some things I won't compromise on) is around 922 dollars. this at mix regular and sale prices. these are all approximant figures, I didn't use any military surplus items.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#5]
All subjected as stated above.
Grab enough gear that you already own and take a nice long hike.

Use each piece in some way, even attempting to clean and bandage an imaginary cut while tired and in low light will tell you if your FAK is well layed out.

The item that sucked the worst gets replaced with a better version.
This may not mean buying new just replacing.

Having a really good multi-tool and fixed blade in the safe or desk drawer is NOT going to help you in the field.

I'm liking a Camelbak HAWG for my GHB and a Camelbak Talon for a BOB.
I try to make the GHB small enough that I will never leave it home...

Pete
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I work about 35 miles from home in a large city that would be a primary target for an attack.  
I have a work truck, gas never goes below 1/2  ---3/4 tank.  I always keep it full.  It has basic recovery gear, but nothing like my personal vehicle.
I'm not afraid to run into/over things if need be to get home in a SHTF situation.

I'd like to keep the size of the BOB to a backback.

Obvious first aide.  Will just any do?
Defense is covered.
Sleeping?   Not so sure if a sleeping bag would fit.   This is Florida so it's hot just abotu all year long.
Water filter will be needed
Masks will be needed.

I'll read the other thread and get back.

Can anyone suggest a good decent backpack type gimmick?    Maybe a Jansport?  

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Steepandcheap.com has good deals on backpacks.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:55:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:30:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Humping this stuff and using it is the fastest way to get it right. Otherwise, you can buy the best of the best in gear to only find you don't need it. Its one of the reasons I recommend go cheap first. Its harder to prune something you paid a bunch of money for.

Tj

Exactly,
I had the be all to end all, perfectly arranged GHB:
Max Devil Dog with 2 Nalgenes with a base layer polypro top and a windshirt lashed to the bottom.

After the 3rd mile, the constriction to my waist was causing me discomfort.

IT was also impossible to get to any of the pouches without loosening the pack and spinning it to the front or stopping unhooking and then readjusting.

The 2 Nalgene bottles were fine but awkward to replace in thier sleeves.

I'm at 2 bags now for the truck as I am most likely NOT going to be in optimum travel clothes when traffic comes to a halt.
Duffel holds a change of clothes, knee wraps, Hiking boots and smart wools socks, gallon of water and stabile food. Walking stick other tools are availible as well. A CB HAWG carries the stuff I know (to date anyway) that I will need.

I find I can peel off my HAWG, grab what I need and get back into a rthym much quicker.

Since NJ is a Handgun dead zone, I opt to take my chances with a stashed S&W 60-3 with hard cast bullets rather than leave a more favored handgun and JHP's in the lock box. Combined with the stability of a walking stick rest accuracy keeps me comforted.

I may have wondered around the topic a bit but getting home is more of a concern than leaving home.
Pete
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top